Memorial Weekend Camps

Looking to hear how the II-III camps went this weekend! What's the good word as we go into the final stretch to competition?

Michael

This being my first memorial weekend camp, i didn't know what to expect.

When we get to Thermal, CA. It was about 100* outside, but luckily, camp started at 9.

Saturday was amazing! it was 105, we went on a nice run after break feast and quick stretch, so we were pretty much exhausted. Either way, we worked our arses off in Vis block. We had a yummy lunch, then it was off to horn arc. We played to about dinner time, and by now most of our arms were pretty much soar from pushing the earth back into alignment, and just from holding our horns up in general. Dinner was yummy (and i tried butter for the first time!) Next up was VIS block again, so we did that for about an hour, til the sprinklers went off. We then lined up another field near the field we originally marched on, but after about an hour, it was too dark, so we went to play in the gym again.

Anyway, we eventually went to bed after snack and shower time.

I woke up Sunday feeling pretty sick, I was having allergies on saturday, but at this point i felt like vomiting whenever i coughed, but i roughed it out. Started with VIS block again, and we ran through our ballad, we worked through some choreography, which is pretty darn awesome if i may say so. I don't really remember specifics, but at one point, the sprinklers were going off, and as I marched to my spot, one sprinkler soaked my friend directly in the face, it was impressive, that sprinkler had great aim!

After that, it was too wet to march, so we went on the lot. We played through our ballad and closer, and we finally got to hear this SPECIAL part of the show (that i won't mention!), and i've got to tell you, at this point, I told myself "VK IS BACK!" I'm sure I speak for the whole corps when I say "I loved it." But yeah, it was pretty much awesome, and one of the highlights of my weekend.

----Skips through bedtime/shower/snack :]

Monday (today) was pretty intense. We are all really exhausted by this point, but we kept on pushing. The only thing in my mind that kept me pushing through the entire weekend was thinking about our shows. I constantly told myself "How good do you want to be this summer, Mike?" Those few words kept me sane all weekend.

So, after a nice 4 1/2 hour drive home, and a nice warm bath, I'm glad to say that this weekend was very eventful, and a lot was done. Sure I'm exhausted, but after a day (or four) of recovery, I'll be perfect, and ready to go.

I hope I didn't ramble on...

Edited by Mike Pulido

Thanks Mike!

btw...today is Monday! ;)

Sorry, but some memories from a staff guy, and some you won't undertand or know, but you might get stories later--

--Part 4

--Sprinklers...watching Blair trying to divert all of the sprinklers from behind the hornline as I was warming you guys up.

--"Have a nice breakfast"....right, John????

--the coyote (????) vs Zot the Wonderdog

--More......ahem......

--ARRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!

--the battery applauding our re-warm in the gym on Monday

--Contras have the nicest....ahem....technique :sshh:

--hearing the Velvet Knights playing something that Freelancers used to do.

Memorial Day camp is rough (but fun) for everyone. I hope every other corps had as much fun (and productivity) as we did.

Best of luck to everyone this season!!!!

The 2007 competitive season is almost here............

I enjoy reading this stuff, even the inside jokes where I have no clue. The message that comes through loud and clear is that everone is working hard and having a good time.

Nice update on the Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets' weekend in the DCP News. Full story here:

http://www.scvanguard.org/about/news/news....2b-87985dbac795

Sounds like some good shows this summer. Best of luck to everyone.

See you all soon.

our camp went pretty well.

i dunno how monday went because my girlfriend and i had to fly back monday morning so she doesn't miss too much school (she graduates this week).

also, she got a solo in the ballad.

that's all the info i'm going to give

Clint,

Sounds like your working the gang hard (ha). The very best and looking forward to seeing VK on the field this summer!

Michael

Not quite as exciting as the return of VK, but our camp went great! Our brassline is still pretty small, but our drumline is quite clean, especially for May, and our guard is awesome (and big, unlike last year). We now have the first two movements, drill and music, on the field.

Edited by crashhelmi36

prob what every will say , and what happened is: We worked hard , it was hot as hell .

prob what every will say , and what happened is: We worked hard , it was hot as hell .

Teal still using the school out in the rurals east of Jacksonville? Visited the corps out there a few years ago. Getting there looked like something out of the movie "Deliverance," but really enjoyed the weekend with the corps.

The very best to Teal this season and look forward to seeing them out here on the West Coast.

Michael