Corps/Moments that changed drum corps

Star '93: Saw them, didn't think much of the show then, and still feel the same about it now. I'm with "DCI has been," protracted periods of silence didn't get my heart pumping. I know Star '93 has been widly praised, but, I guess, I still don't get it. If it was so ground breaking, why hasn't it been copied / repeated? Who has done a show like Star '93 since? Not copied means not ground breaking IMO. Maybe it's because they quit after that year that creates the mystique.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely agree. The Scouts, Cavies and Cadets Total Shows of 1971 were the start of the modern era of drum corps, IMO.

Garfield 1971 color pre Peace Sign: Battle Hymn

PeacesignBattleHymn.jpg

Actually, I would have to say the 1970 Madison Scouts - at least the 2nd half of their show - was ground-breaking. There would not have been the '71 Garfield Cadets, Madison Scouts and Cavaliers without the wild success of the '70 Scouts.

PLEASE...someone point out these "protracted periods of silence" They ain't there.

As for no one copying...you missed my initial post re body motion and their influence on that part of modern performance.

Star '93: Saw them, didn't think much of the show then, and still feel the same about it now. I'm with "DCI has been," protracted periods of silence didn't get my heart pumping. I know Star '93 has been widly praised, but, I guess, I still don't get it. If it was so ground breaking, why hasn't it been copied / repeated? Who has done a show like Star '93 since? Not copied means not ground breaking IMO. Maybe it's because they quit after that year that creates the mystique.

I have to disagree with those who say there were protracted periods of silence in star '93. I personally don't remember any and I played it. I think it's fair to say there were long periods of time where we played softly.

I think one aim of the show was to pi$$ people off (especially the establishment). I think it left people feeling uncomfortable if not PO'd because they hated it. It flew in the face of convention up to that point. It definitely changed the activity. It's up to the individual to decide if it changed it for better or worse. Personally, I think its a little of both (that's another topic altogether).

I can think of many ground breaking shows that haven't been copied. If that's you're gold standard for a "ground breaking show", then you probably have a much narrower list than most. Malaguena has been done 1000 times, but that doesn't make it the defacto "most ground breaking show" of all time. It just makes it popular

I think you should be looking to see if elements from a particular show have been copied rather than a show concept or music selection. Examples: The body movement, the poles without flags, the minimalist approach, not being affraid to play ppp, very musical drumline, monkey sticking, no pauses for applause (seamless approach), cream colored uniforms...Most of these things were around before '93, but I think these things had never been stressed to the degree that they were by that show. At the very least, you have to agree that the body movement increased greatly after this show (for better or worse).

Oh, and we didn't quit after that year. We moved on :) (unfortunately <**> )

:laugh: actually yes, it is music!!! it's called dynamics, contrast, and a superb sense of musicality. plus the drill was still going so obviously so was the music. it's cohesive. that's actually why i think star 93 was so important to drum corps. not that anyone saw it that way at the time, but their incredibly unique approach to the music [esp. drawing the silence into the show as an active part of the listening/watching experience].

I want to hear/see a show that is a John Cage concept...huh huh???

That'll change drum corps fer sure!!!!

I want to hear/see a show that is a John Cage concept...huh huh???

That'll change drum corps fer sure!!!!

Your point is?

I have to disagree with those who say there were protracted periods of silence in star '93. I personally don't remember any and I played it. I think it's fair to say there were long periods of time where we played softly.

I think one aim of the show was to pi$$ people off (especially the establishment). I think it left people feeling uncomfortable if not PO'd because they hated it. It flew in the face of convention up to that point. It definitely changed the activity. It's up to the individual to decide if it changed it for better or worse. Personally, I think its a little of both (that's another topic altogether).

I can think of many ground breaking shows that haven't been copied. If that's you're gold standard for a "ground breaking show", then you probably have a much narrower list than most. Malaguena has been done 1000 times, but that doesn't make it the defacto "most ground breaking show" of all time. It just makes it popular

I think you should be looking to see if elements from a particular show have been copied rather than a show concept or music selection. Examples: The body movement, the poles without flags, the minimalist approach, not being affraid to play ppp, very musical drumline, monkey sticking, no pauses for applause (seamless approach), cream colored uniforms...Most of these things were around before '93, but I think these things had never been stressed to the degree that they were by that show. At the very least, you have to agree that the body movement increased greatly after this show (for better or worse).

Oh, and we didn't quit after that year. We moved on :) (unfortunately <**> )

It's worth considering some shows that surfaced from 1994 onward. Cavies '94 with "Rituals." Blue Devils '95 "Carpe Noctem." SCV '95 "Not the Nutcracker." I think it took Star '93 to make these shows--alternately dark and abstract--a reality.

As to the intent of the show, Bill Cook had this to say:

For Jim, 1992 was a pivotal year because the show was designed for a broad audience appeal and the result was a hostile crowd. At that time, he decided to explore different directions. His frustrations led him to the 1993 Medea program because he wanted to give the organization a vehicle where they would be in control of their performance from beginning to end.

Looking back at Medea, there were no opportunities for the audience to react until the show was over. This concept made some of the audience uncomfortable and created even more controversy. I guess that was Jim's vengeance. Also at that time, he began to contemplate doing something other than drum corps with the Star of Indiana. Perhaps the seed of Brass Theater was planted during this period. (emphasis added)

For those who haven't actually watched Star 1993, think Cadets 2006 (without, you know, white rabbits and all that): a show without a clearly defined end to any movement before the closer, and one in which the corps never really stops playing or marching for 12 minutes straight. Also, read this:

The "Medea" show was music by Bartok and Barber. Again, Jim decided to experiment with body motion executed by the entire ensemble. He asked the visual people to design a stark show which would be portrayed by contrasting colors and shapes--triangles and straight poles. The 1989 uniforms were replaced with a cream and black uniform. He did not want visuals to detract from the drill or body sculpting; the music was to be arranged to enrage and anger. It was not supposed to be sweet and lilting. Suffice it to say, the audience responded properly but the raw discordant sound grated on me at the beginning of the season--I was irritated after each performance. When the show was finished, it was beautiful to watch. And today, the 1993 show stands out for me as my favorite. The drill intensity, blatant bursts on the horns and discordant percussion were intriguing . I'm probably nuts but I actually enjoyed getting irritated--Medea was truly a b****. (emphasis added and expletive deleted)

Yeah, it seems Mason just wanted to annoy the activity that year. And I'd say he succeeded: even Bill Cook, Mr. Star of Indiana himself, had to watch the show repeatedly before he really fell in love with it. Star '93: the ultimate definition of "acquired taste"... ^OO^

Edited by Rusty

Actually, in their first year of 1977, they came in 23rd - which was the highest placement for a first year corps in the DCI era until Star. Then in 1978, they jumped all the way up to 6th. Both years were amazing both for the performances and for the accomplishments.

Memphis Blues Brass Band had the distinction of being the highest placing first year corps until Star, placing 20th in 1980. they finished 18th in 1981 and 19th in 1982.

We were told about possibly not going on DCI tour after Drum Corps South Championships at Legion Field in Birmingham. We had a few days back in Memphis and then we found out that we did not have the funds to hit the road for the DCI tour.

Edited by Cordog27

OK. You're right. I'm wrong. There weren't *long periods of silence.* So I'll restate it admitting my error about '93 Star:

Long periods of *playing real soft ppp* didn't get my heart pumping. I guess I'm too dumb. I appreciate all the hard work put into the show, really I do. And, it didn't p*ss me off, or make me uncomfortable, it just left me, I don't know, with no feeling at all. Not what I look for in a corps performance, that's all. AND, yes, Star *quit* after '93. And the activity is all the poorer for it. Would that have happenned had Star finished 1st that year? I'm just saying - all the talk about how Star "moved on" just doesn't seem to tell the whole story. Is it possible there was a little sour grapes mixed in there as well, you know, getting jobbed out of 1st place two years in a row?

And the seamless show? How about 1980 27th Lancers, that was a seamless show, no?