Corps you wish would come back

Someone said it earlier, but it still bears repeating: ALL OF THEM!

Edited by Goldpin

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though tragic, it's a fact that many corps come and go. What are some corps you wish would come back?

My list (as of a few months ago) was VK, Bridgemen, and 27th Lancers; but from what I understand, the Bridgemen are making a comeback and VK will be back for this season. Hopefully, 27 will follow their lead.

Sigh - haven't we been down this road?

People - we just can't go back in time. I like remembering the past. I like talking about it and listening to the recordings and watching the old black and white video tape from the sixties and seventies.

The contests against Blessed Sacrament, Carter Cadets, CMCC Warriors, the Bronx Kingsmen and dozens of others from New England, the Mid West and West Coast still linger in my feeble old mind.

With all the alumni corps popping up, St. Rita's among them, we're doing ok.

It just takes way too much time and money to start up a drum corps these days.

Perhaps we could get Bill and Malinda Gates to fund a National Corps for us?

Hmmm.

Puppet

• 1 year later...

Seattle Imps and my old corps

Sigh - haven't we been down this road?

People - we just can't go back in time.

Hmmm.

Puppet

Joe, you are correct, of course. The great (and even the not-so-great) corps of the past were a product of the time and place in which they had their moment in the sun. Whether it be the Earls of Bucks, St. Ritas, the 27th Lancers or [insert name of favorite corps from the old days - whenever that may have been] that time/place no longer exists. Even if you could gather up the resources and recruit a membership, it could never be the same.

But we had fun, eh? To say nothing of learning a lot and making great friends along the way. Savor the memories!

regards,

Fred O.

Since I live in the Philly area I would like to see the following come back.

Liberty Bell Cadets (with Becky Hanley as DM)

Rising Sun Cadets

Yearsley Black Hawks

Norristown Invaders

Tri Community Blue Lancers

Osmond Cadets

Audubon Bon Bon's

Ridley Park Rangers

Haddon Heights Vagabonds

Vasella Musketeers ( with Jerry Powell as DM)

Bells of Saint Mary's

Media Fawns

Bellairs

Little Devels

Blue Rock

West Reading Police Cadets

Some really great corps in this group.

• 1 month later...
Bayonne has created a wonderful alumni corps seemingly (but of course not really) overnight.

2-7 will not be back apparently (outside of the 94 miracle performance) but Light Brigade is an alumni corps keeping their music alive (though some 2-7 alums here on DCP have quite a different take on what they are doing).

Being an East coast guy...who started in the 60's....I'd add St Lucy's and Blue Rock to the list. I would add BS, my personal favorite corps through the 60's, but they have a great alumni corps already.

Mike,

Light Brigade, after a good run, has shut down as of a couple of years ago.

i guess this pertains mainly to DCI level corps - I'd like to see Argonne back and some amalgam of the corps of NYC - take your pick St. Rita's, OLPH, St. Rocco's, or some combination of the powerhouses of Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, and the Bronx, all of which were home to wonderful drum corps.

For the DCA, I truly miss the Skyliners. They were the senior equivalent of Madison. They were one corps that people went to see, and if they were on the program, nobody worried about whether the show cost a couple of dollars too much, or whether the corps would be entertaining enough. A show with them and Cabs ensured druma, rivalry, entertainment, etc.

My heart wishes for the solid return of the Sunrisers. This was the corps I couldn't wait to join as a kid, almost going there at about 15, and the corps I went to as soon as I got back from overseas. They were the class act, the innovators, the musicians. They represented much of what Reading now stands for in DCA. I hope that this current incarnation works out and that they're able to hold on, grow, and eventually thrive.

I believe that DCA needs both of these corps back on the field. I just wonder whether there's sufficient membership potential to make it happen.

27th Lancers

Avant Garde

Canadian Knights

Florida Wave

Watkins Glenn Squires

The Northmen

CMCC Warriors

Black Watch, NJ

Cadets of Greece

Defenders

Valley Aires

Suncoast Sound

Geneseo Knights

Sky Riders

North Star

Western PA

General Butler Vagabonds (back on the field)

Rockets

Finleyville Royal Crusaders

Cambria Cadets

Before my time:

Blue Rock