What Would It Take?

I am thinking about having a DCA competition here in Sarasota, FL. My music department would (hopefully) be the recipient of the money made. I am sure there is laughing out there...who makes money? In any case, what would it take to get a few northern corps to participate?

I know that Corpsvets, Alliance and other southern corps would probably compete but...any other corps have an interest? We have a few stadiums to choose from, either one of four high school stadiums or the Cincinnati Reds spring training camp (Ed Smith Stadium).

Let's chat.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first thought is "good luck"... :rock:

But, in all seriousness, I know that Chops has been venturing out of state twice a year lately. Once is during Labor Day, of course, but the usual July trip has been varying greatly since DCM was packed in mothballs with no hope of revival. Talk to Bob (USNA90_Mello) and I'm sure that he could give you a straight answer on what it would take to at least get us there.

No guarantees. But he could give you some good direction on where to start.

I think the major factor is the expense in getting there, staying at least a day then returning. Sarasota is a beautiful area on the Gulf Coast, but kind of pricey as far as hotels and such. The cost of bus coaches or charter flight.

It would be a neat place to go for a show, but the finances would have to be carefully worked out to make it affordable for those competing and attending, (I'm sure a lot of people would travel to a resort area to see a show, even in a Florida summer).

I think you could count on the...Hurricanes...

Edited by Martybucs

Florida is at least a 23 hour drive for most of the NE corps, and that is just stopping for food and gas.

You would have to promise big $ to any corps. It wouldn't be financially responsible for those corps to go down and back up to Florida if they didn't make any money from it.

I am thinking about having a DCA competition here in Sarasota, FL. My music department would (hopefully) be the recipient of the money made. I am sure there is laughing out there...who makes money? In any case, what would it take to get a few northern corps to participate?

I know that Corpsvets, Alliance and other southern corps would probably compete but...any other corps have an interest? We have a few stadiums to choose from, either one of four high school stadiums or the Cincinnati Reds spring training camp (Ed Smith Stadium).

Let's chat.

I'd recommend colaberating with the atlanta area and other south corps to create a three show weekend around July 4th as it is a Friday, and see if you can get two or three to come down for a mini tour.......................just a thought.............

I have no idea. Will never claim I do. But I think this is a question for directors and such of all the corps. Since they handle all the Money and Logistics..

As a member I would like to provided I had the Vacation time and money to do so.

Florida New York is at least a 23 hour drive for most of the nonNE corps, and that is just stopping for food and gas.

You would have to promise big $ to any corps. It wouldn't be financially responsible for those corps to go downup and back up to Florida to New York if they didn't make any money from it.

I really don't disagree with the intent of your post, but I do think it is time for a little quid pro quo.

You might want to win the Lottery first before even venturing down this path.

The Northeast corps must be run by the current day mob ... They just can't stop trying to stuff their pockets with the other DCA regions proceeds.

LOL !!!

You might want to win the Lottery first before even venturing down this path.

The Northeast corps must be run by the current day mob ... They just can't stop trying to stuff their pockets with the other DCA regions proceeds.

LOL !!!

LOL! Still trying that option but it isn't working well.

Florida is at least a 23 hour drive for most of the NE corps, and that is just stopping for food and gas.

You would have to promise big $ to any corps. It wouldn't be financially responsible for those corps to go down and back up to Florida if they didn't make any money from it.

I was wondering after reading this...did Heat Wave ask for big money to drive 23 hours, in fact, did they get any money all those years of competing in NJ,NY, CT, PA? I think for the most part they came up to be a part of DCA. If I am wrong here then someone from Heat Wave can chime in and say I'm wrong. I think they did make some money on some parades they did 3 years ago in Virginia or someplace.