This was a fantastic show. I remember hearing from one of the baritone soloists at UH that he had only about 30 charts of drill to learn that year because he spent the rest of the time on the front sideline soloing lol...great bari/trombone players.

That would be Scott.

We joked with him about the possibility of being one of the only guys to ever return from tour fatter than he left.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunscreen: $4.50

More Black Shoe Polish Than You Ever Thought You'd Need: $10

Tour Fees for '93 Devils: $800 (guessing)

Finishing 4th at '93 Championships and STILL Taking High Brass: PRICELESS

There are some things that money can't buy....and one of those things is the '93 BD Hornline. :D

Edited by BigBadMadMan

That would be Scott.

We joked with him about the possibility of being one of the only guys to ever return from tour fatter than he left.

ha ha...Scott was a good dude. The guys in the UH trombone section nick named him hood ornament because his good posture stuck out like a sore thumb amongst the bando clod hoppers :)

Jordan, have you heard any of the original Don Ellis charts that they used?

PM me if your interested in the original Don Ellis recordings of Open Wide, Great Divide, Chain Reaction and Strawberry Soup.

BTW, Being a percussionist, WOW to the 93 BD hornline. Love the use of the solos and ensembles throughout the show. Love it! Drumline....not so much. Made up for in 94 though.

Tour Fees for '93 Devils: $800 (guessing)

Finishing 5th at '93 Championships and STILL Taking High Brass: PRICELESS

There are some things that money can't buy....and one of those things is the '93 BD Hornline. :D

That would be fourth !

~G~

This show is not as true to the originals as you might think...some creative writing interweaving of themes, seamless cutting and pasting (and even overlaying) of themes from different source material, all of the hallmarks of Wayne Downey's more recent stuff. This show, in my opinion, is the beginning of his "new" arranging style that is epitomized (loved by some, disliked by others) in the 2003-present era. But I do see your point, where the "new" style appears to be more "filler" with the same short theme re-worked, re-woven, and re-stated, sometimes more than the listener would care to hear.

Anyway, BD 93 is one of my favorite musical books of all time. Great stuff.

Hmmmm....that arrangement is a true Wayne Downey special...not very true at all to the original compositions, and his playing around with them (yep, lots of "filler," if that's what you want to call straying a bit from the original) is what made it such a great show, IMO.
Didn't know that. One thing's for sure, though, there's no filler in that show. Every note has purpose and direction. It's weird to think the Blue Devils still have the same arranger.
Get a chance, go listen to the source material, not "true to the original" at all, lots of respectful, unique "cut and paste" and lots of transitions given creative liberty. A Wayne Downey special, done real well, with less "choppiness as of late, but totally his signature work.....

~G~

So much for commenting on stuff you know about...

That would be fourth !

~G~

Ya, you're right...they CAME IN to finals in 5th...that's what I meant. :P Guess I got a bit excited. Fixed.

Open Wide:

bari quartet>>

Scott Rankin

Jim Rogers

Aaron Suzuki

Shawn McElhaney

One of these is wrong cause I know one of the guys in the bari quartet was Steve McCartney.

Another guy I know had a "euph solo" - during the scatter part of Strawberry Soup. That

was Steve Jones.

Looked up the videos today--been a while! Never gets old.