SKY ... HW.... DCA?

It is truly a sad day for drum corps....but we saw it coming for years! If a corps does what they do, even when everybody tells them to do something else, this is the usual consequence. That wonderful organization that held its corps together for 1,000 years can't do things the same way they did 1,000 years ago. It's apparent that PEOPLE WANTED CHANGE. Having said that...I do think other corps have been luring members away from SKY...but its THE MEMBERS THAT LEFT that people should focus their attention to. WHAT MADE THEM LEAVE??? ..... snip.........

This is an interesting quote that everyone seemed to ignore in the SKY ANNOUNCEMENT thread. If you read it carefully, there's much to contemplate, debate and question. This statement is not only reflective of corps management. It also rings true with the parent circuit as well.

Look at how DCI and DCA were formed to begin with. I'm not going to go into historical details, but I think we all realize that the corps themselves wanted a new governing body, and they chose themselves for the task rather than VFW and AL.

With the expansion of the regions, discontent that has been voiced over the past dozens months, folding of corps, the 35 rule and and constantly changing rules regarding voting membership "privileges"....... at what point will we see the same destructive end result as we've seen with Sky.

I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill here. I can clearly see similarities between the two subjects, albeit on a larger scale with DCA. I'm sure the same could be said for the "have not's" in DCI. Some will say that one has nothing to do with the other ... but in theory they do. The big question in the end is ........ At what point does it become a detriment to DCA to lose the regional corps? Bigger still.... What happens if/when the original DCA corps lose power?

I think most of us (at this point) believe that should that happen, DCA would go back to 11 or so corps and be fine with it. My biggest concern is when the balance of power is shifted to regional corps and the Original DCA corps no longer have the majority. Should that day ever come, I suspect the situation would be reversed and the original corps would jump ship and start a new circuit rather than the other way around. Some might find these to be strong words .... but based on the history of rules changes in the past 6 years, (which have always benefited the NE corps balance of power) I can see it happening.

What do you think?

How do we keep this all from happening?

How do we get past our growing pains without killing each other?

**No need for disclaimers ... you'll think what you like either way**

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That quote about the Skyliners is untrue and I don't see how it fits into your statement. We were on the road to change and we were trying to rise from the dead in 1998. We were on the up and up. Like I said in the other thread. Nobody knows the story unless they were there to live it.

I commend the fact that the changes were in place. I won't pretend to be an expert about the inner workings of Sky's past, present or future. I'm merely looking at the end result of the situation. We all want SKY back and better than ever. I know all to well from personal experience how difficult it can be to throw the old plans out the window and start fresh. LSM did the same thing after DCA Championships last fall. That being said, I'm sure there's a bright future for SKY.

The topic is about how internal problems and difference in philosophy are/will effect DCA as a governing body. Further, how do we prevent such shakeups from happening while keeping everyone happy?

Wherever we do go from here, I have a feeling it will look oddly similar to what's happening right now. No communication, no information and the same silly things killing corps ALL ACROSS THE COUNTRY. I know my opinion isn't worth the paper it's not printed on, but I hope people think about what has been said over the last couple of days. SILENCE=DEATH

A code of ethics for the entire activity is in order--but its going to have to be one where people still have choice as to where and when they wish to participate. The moment we start dictating to people when and where they can march, and otherwise limit their options to participate, that will kill the activity. As far as activities on the part of any corps that is ethically questionable, I am in favor of any regulation within reason that is to the benefit of the activity.

Bill

A code of ethics for the entire activity is in order--but its going to have to be one where people still have choice as to where and when they wish to participate. The moment we start dictating to people when and where they can march, and otherwise limit their options to participate, that will kill the activity. As far as activities on the part of any corps that is ethically questionable, I am in favor of any regulation within reason that is to the benefit of the activity.

Bill

Bill, you are once again putting invented words in my mouth.

I never stated that people should not have a choice where to march, and that has nothing to do with the situation involving the Skyliners that I am about to describe on Blog 7.

You can keep raising this point over and over and over as if I actually said it, but I would ask that before you do, maybe you could please give me the kind consideration of finding even one instance in the entire recorded history of the Internet where I suggested that.

I believe that people should have choice where to march, and my experience of having marched in three junior corps and two senior corps demonstrates that. As I will soon point out, this issue has absolutely nothing to do with freedom to march wherever you want.

te. The moment we start dictating to people when and where they can march, and otherwise limit their options to participate, that will kill the activity.

Bill

I hardly think that Lee is suggesting anything of the sort.

Probably more along the lines of a new corps forming may NOT use in house databases such as email list,contact sheets ETC to contact members from a existing corps without that corps permission would be my guess.

I've been waiting ALL DAY for this one, Lee!!!