1986 - Sky Ryders vs. Star

I vote Sky!

Easy for kids to relate, great GE show/program. If you are showing multiple shows from multiple eras, please don't worry about execution when offering a DVD to the kids. If anything, point out what even a top drumcorps can do both right and wrong. With Sky you can let the kids know that even with a great program they got "x" place, with better execution they may have been higher etc.

I used to love it when my director put on videos before rehersal, anyone there early could vote on the shows to watch. I practically memorized my first corps shows that way. Including 86 SKY and Blue Devils!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the 86 sky ryders rewrote the entire drill between tours. (thanks nolan :worthy: ) we started out VERY slowly and ended in a great fashion. we were never assured that we would make finals that year. A lot of extremely hard work and dedication went into it and I was proud to be a part of it.

as far as the visual program goes... we finished 9th in field and ensemble visual at finals.

drums on the other hand.....

one of my favorite memories was coming out to the back sideline at semifinal and gett a standing ovation for the corps before we even entered the field. that was very cool. B)

I'd show Sky '86. Although for a real contrast and comparison, I'd have picked Star 88 and Spirit 85 so that you can see the different takes on Porgy and Bess

Hey guys.. I'm running a weekly drum corps viewing night for my marching band students through the summer. Tonight's theme is music from movies and stage.

I'm debating between showing 1986 Star of Indiana (John Williams sci-fi scores) vs. 1986 Sky Ryders (Wizard of Oz). Which one would you show to a bunch of high school kids, many of which are just starting to learn about drum corps?

As a coincidence, I happened to show Star 86 today. Of course, it was becasue I was marching, and they wanted to see me. Darn it, I cannot find my 87 finals DVD when I was in Garfield. That one might have gone over a little better.

Just got back. Ended up showing Sky Ryders. As was the case with '75 27th Lancers last week, they giggled at the differences (including in hair styles :) ), but I think appreciated what was going on.

Thanks again for the feedback.... next week: Jazz. B)

the 86 sky ryders rewrote the entire drill between tours. (thanks nolan :ph34r: ) we started out VERY slowly and ended in a great fashion. we were never assured that we would make finals that year. A lot of extremely hard work and dedication went into it and I was proud to be a part of it.

as far as the visual program goes... we finished 9th in field and ensemble visual at finals.

drums on the other hand.....

one of my favorite memories was coming out to the back sideline at semifinal and gett a standing ovation for the corps before we even entered the field. that was very cool. B)

Yeah, true. Kevin, you remember learing a new first 10 sets of hte show one morning and performing ait that night during the middle of first tour? That was crazy, but the corps that year just seemed to eat everything up and go with the flow. Man were we w YOUNG group that year. That certainly hurt execution and consistency, but I think it helped in adapting to change. Most of the kids were too young and inexperienced to realize that just scrapping half the opener and learning a new one the day of a show was a big deal. Or scrapping the entire drill and learning a new one before second tour. But man was that a fun year to march!

Garick Harmon and I lead the corps on the field that year. It was incredible hearing the crowd reaction as we entered the tunnel. Remember the ovation we received in Quarterfinals? The staff let us come back down the tunnel to look at the rabid reaction the crowd was giving us, and when the started coming down the tunnel, the creowd started cheering even louder. The announcer was announcing BAC (last corps on for Quarters that year), and they were still on their feet cheering. That set the stage for the most incredible audience reaction I ever experienced as a member on the field - our semi-finals performance (and our best overall performance that week).

The SkyRyders were a real and true Drum Corps!

As opposed to Star? :ph34r:

Yeah, true. Kevin, you remember learing a new first 10 sets of hte show one morning and performing ait that night during the middle of first tour? That was crazy, but the corps that year just seemed to eat everything up and go with the flow. Man were we w YOUNG group that year. That certainly hurt execution and consistency, but I think it helped in adapting to change. Most of the kids were too young and inexperienced to realize that just scrapping half the opener and learning a new one the day of a show was a big deal. Or scrapping the entire drill and learning a new one before second tour. But man was that a fun year to march!

Garick Harmon and I lead the corps on the field that year. It was incredible hearing the crowd reaction as we entered the tunnel. Remember the ovation we received in Quarterfinals? The staff let us come back down the tunnel to look at the rabid reaction the crowd was giving us, and when the started coming down the tunnel, the creowd started cheering even louder. The announcer was announcing BAC (last corps on for Quarters that year), and they were still on their feet cheering. That set the stage for the most incredible audience reaction I ever experienced as a member on the field - our semi-finals performance (and our best overall performance that week).

I also remember the big meeting we had on I think the mass turnpike on first tour. also the infamous "acting exercise in hutch"

It's hard to believe were were really that young is'nt it tim? (was'nt the avg age around 16.5 or so?)

got to see the scouts at their open house this year. It was great but really made me feel old.

The big thing about the Sky Ryders in those days is that we treated each other like a family.

I also remember the big meeting we had on I think the mass turnpike on first tour. also the infamous "acting exercise in hutch"

It's hard to believe were were really that young is'nt it tim? (was'nt the avg age around 16.5 or so?)

got to see the scouts at their open house this year. It was great but really made me feel old.

The big thing about the Sky Ryders in those days is that we treated each other like a family.

I think our reported average age was 16, but I recall Dale Antoine indicating that there was some creative rounding involved to get the average up to 16.

The environment there was definitely like a family. Especially for the core of vets there when you and I were marching.

The environment there was definitely like a family. Especially for the core of vets there when you and I were marching.

Unfortunately the corps lost this after the 89 season. Not making finals in 89 was a big disappointment to the corps and I think this caused a pretty big loss of vets to other solid top 12 corps. In 90 we only had a small handfull of vets return and because of this, the family atmosphere of the corps members was mostly lost. Since we were mostly rookies, there was little emphasis on history, loyalty or tradition of the corps. Since I was a rookie, I didn't know any better.

When I went to Bluecoats in 92, I finally saw what my friends from Sky Ryders (who had marched previous to 90) had meant by the corps being a family. In Coats - and especially that year (92), the corps members had an unusually strong bond. I think this is due alot in part that we had many vets - many of which had marched 6 years or more. Even we rookies were made to immediately feel that we were then part of a long and proud tradition and that we were part of the special Bluecoats family.

Still - I made many friends at Sky and I wouldn't trade my time there for anything. But it didn't feel like "home" the way Bluecoats did (and still does).