John Williams and The Cadets

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't Williams' music from LOTR just a rehash of Schindlers list?

Isn't Williams' music from LOTR just a rehash of Schindlers list?

Um....Williams did not write LOTR.

Howard Shore did.

And honestly, the two soundtracks don't sound similar to me.

If we're talking about blatant stealing and rehashing, no two composers irk me as much as Hans Zimmer and James Horner. Horner's soundtrack to Willow steals from Tchaikovsky's 4th, Mozart's Requem, De Falla's Three Cornered Hat, etc. I like the soundtrack, but....man! Talk about thieving.

Um....Williams did not write LOTR.

Howard Shore did.

And honestly, the two soundtracks don't sound similar to me.

If we're talking about blatant stealing and rehashing, no two composers irk me as much as Hans Zimmer and James Horner. Horner's soundtrack to Willow steals from Tchaikovsky's 4th, Mozart's Requem, De Falla's Three Cornered Hat, etc. I like the soundtrack, but....man! Talk about thieving.

Oh yah and williams didn't steal anything from holst in the sound track to star wars.... <**>

Oh yah and williams didn't steal anything from holst in the sound track to star wars.... <**>

You're not getting what I am saying.

Sure...Williams was definitely influenced by Mars, Bringer of War. No one will deny that.

However...listen to Horner's soundtrack to Willow sometime....I mean...he almost completely, note for note, steals Mozart's Requiem. The only thing different is the triplets in the trumpets. The track is called "Elora Danan."

"Canyon of Mazes" is stolen from Prokofiev's "Battle on the Ice/Snow."

He steals from Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony, Mvmt II, almost verbatim.

In Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger he steals and quotes VERBATIM, NOTE FOR NOTE both the Shostakovich Symphony No. 5, Mvmt 3 and the Adagio from Gayeneh by Khachaturian. Does he give credit for those blatant rip-offs? No.

Williams incorporates a lot of other music in his soundtracks. Heck, we all know that ET is basically Hanson's 2nd symphony. But I can't think of a single time that it was done note for note.

You're not getting what I am saying.

Sure...Williams was definitely influenced by Mars, Bringer of War. No one will deny that.

However...listen to Horner's soundtrack to Willow sometime....I mean...he almost completely, note for note, steals Mozart's Requiem. The only thing different is the triplets in the trumpets. The track is called "Elora Danan."

"Canyon of Mazes" is stolen from Prokofiev's "Battle on the Ice/Snow."

He steals from Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony, Mvmt II, almost verbatim.

In Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger he steals and quotes VERBATIM, NOTE FOR NOTE both the Shostakovich Symphony No. 5, Mvmt 3 and the Adagio from Gayeneh by Khachaturian. Does he give credit for those blatant rip-offs? No.

Williams incorporates a lot of other music in his soundtracks. Heck, we all know that ET is basically Hanson's 2nd symphony. But I can't think of a single time that it was done note for note.

He stole more than just from mars dude. He wrote that theme for the news show that sound alot like Jupiter? Don't claim he's innocent and others are guilty. He's just as guilty as the rest if you're going to start calling people out.

Edited by VKCanosUSMCContra

He stole more than just from mars dude.

Didn't I just say that?

Didn't I just literally give one example of what Williams was influenced by?

Did I deny this?

Would you like a full list of all the places that John Williams "borrowed" from in each soundtrack? I used to have it written down somewhere for a thesis I once wrote.

You missed my point again. Dude.

My point was that James Horner is more of a thief than Williams is due to his blatant and note-for-note stealing of many orchestral works without giving credit (when you use the Shostakovich Symphony No. 5, Mvmt 3 verbatim, you should give some dang credit where it is due).

But please, feel free to point out that Williams stole music while ignoring my actual statements.

PS: Hans Zimmer was sued for "ripping off" Holst's Mars with his soundtrack to Gladiator.