honest question

I wouldn't mind if corps were to play their last tune standing still without drill.

What bothers me is the idea of a corps not performing the entire closer (or whatever part of their show they are not performing). At all.

Ahh, well I didn't see Cavies' show so I really cannot comment on that. I didn't know they didn't play the closer at all. Oh well, like I said, they'll get there.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess my opinion is that ALL penalties should be enforced, including timing penalties. My two years in junior corps we had incomplete shows for the first few performances, so we stood still and played where the last few drill sets were supposed to be. That's fine, obviously our scores were not as high as when we performed the entire drill, but we performed within the correct ammount of time. Yes, timing penalties should be enforced. Why not? When they add the rest of the show, they won't get the penalty anymore. What's the big deal?

A few thoughts:

1) This date wasn't a surprise. These corps have all had them on their calendar for months, and planned their rehearsals accordingly;

2) The fans who purchased tickets paid 100%. Would they receive a discount for less than a full show?;

3) I understand that corps will make changes and improve as the season goes on. When we refer to a "complete" show, the corps should hit the minimum time limit.

4) I understand that judges will evaluate what is being presented. If that is the logic, if a corps presented the most incredible three minutes ever and left the field, would they be the winners? I guess I would think that if a corps' judging sheets had them on pace to score an "80.00", while presenting only 75% of the minimum time limit, their score should be 80.00 times .75, which would equal a "60.00".

Where does it end? Does DCI have an official "start date" for the "under time" penalty rule?

Yes. Typically the first big regional.

The corps are aware of this and can use that time as they see fit. However I think it is not in their best interests to save their closer for that date because they want to get feedback on it as soon as possible so to some degree it polices itself

4) I understand that judges will evaluate what is being presented. If that is the logic, if a corps presented the most incredible three minutes ever and left the field, would they be the winners? I guess I would think that if a corps' judging sheets had them on pace to score an "80.00", while presenting only 75% of the minimum time limit, their score should be 80.00 times .75, which would equal a "60.00".

It's all about rewarding achievement. If corps A achieves more in three minutes than corps B does in ten, then yes, corps A will have the higher score.

It's all about rewarding achievement. If corps A achieves more in three minutes than corps B does in ten, then yes, corps A will have the higher score.

Corps A better have a #### impressive show then. But lets see, marching and playing for 3.5 min of a 9 minute show, is that like marching and playing for 4.666 minutes of a 12 minute show? Wait, that sounds backwards.

I kid, I kid....

maybe :laugh:

There is a difference between an incomplete show and a show that will evolve and change as the season progresses. Yes, almost every corps will make numerous adjustments to their shows before August but that is not the same as simply not performing portions of said show.

There is a difference between an incomplete show and a show that will evolve and change as the season progresses. Yes, almost every corps will make numerous adjustments to their shows before August but that is not the same as simply not performing portions of said show.

Maybe they just fell behind. Maybe as the year went on, they didn't have all their members at all the camps, or all of spring training. It happens, though I can only speculate.

Maybe they just fell behind. Maybe as the year went on, they didn't have all their members at all the camps, or all of spring training. It happens, though I can only speculate.

Those that fall behind...