West Coast Inflation?

I've really been tempted to do a full analysis on this, but I have the feeling even if I took the time to work up the entire thing many of you wouldn't care if I proved it it to you with hard, raw facts. You'd still claim it happens anyway... :wink:

If you can prove the phenomenon doesn't exist I am down with that. Prove me wrong and I will gladly accept your theory, or facts.

I have just seen it for a long time, and have discussed it adnauseum with folks over the years.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may just be me, but I think the 78 scored tonight proves it doesn't exist.

Then, of course, SCV and BD will score a 79 tomorrow night and we'll start this all over again. It's the circle of life... drum corps style.

Would someone please think about the children? C'mon all, I am sure we all have our favorite corps and have our team/regional rivalries... let's just all assume that the only show that matters is the finals. Anything can happen!

Boston Red Sox were THREE games behind the Yankees in the Best-of-Sevel ALCS. The Yankees, by the end of the regular season were up by 3 games over the Red Sox. The Yankees were the BEST AL Team in the Regular Season. The Red Sox WON the next FOUR games to eliminate the Yankees. The Red Sox WON the World Series title for the first time in SEVERAL DECADES.

What does the above mean? ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN! Although the SMGs have a short season compared to MLB, the truth is that anything can happen.

The ones who I want to see win are the corps that have never won a single title. West Coast Inflation may seem true, but in reality, so many crazy things have happened in DCI since it's inception; thus lies the possibility that anything can happen this year.

How about this: Let's cheer for all of the participants in DCI for working their ### off to give us amazing shows. It's rare we see people this young achieve such a hard feat.

PS: I am NOT a BoSox or Yankee fan. That was the best example I could think of. I would have used the Warriors vs. Mavericks 1st Round playoff series... but ah well.

But then you have BD/SCV together at a different show... well if you know that SCV is better than BD then you can easily score them higher... but how do you tell if they are at a 70 level? or a 75 level?

You can't.

Bingo, which is why the West Coast inflation argument is shaky at best. Assuming the existence of it automatically assumes the comparability of scores across 2,500 miles. Look, I'm not saying it hasn't happened every once in a while, but statistically speaking it hasn't happened any more often than Midwest inflation, East Coast inflation, or Anywhere-Else inflation.

Long story short - judges judge on comparisons of corps.. which is why you can never compare shows from multiple years. If they judged based on a certain criteria only, then that would be a different story.

Another good point, I hope you weren't mistaking my point for calling for more data sets. You need to compare more years, but not against each other. Like you said, that's not a valid comparison. You would need to examine the general trends of those years, and then look for any "trends among the trends" so to speak.

Maybe it's just me, but, ever considered they (SCV and BD, the real cause of all this hooplah) are...I don't know...good?

The last time one of these corps was NOT in finals was 1973 (BD 24th, 66.somthin). They are for REAL.

One a different idea, I second the theory of the lack of comparison being the reason for this myth. When you have SCV, BD and Pacific Crest at one show, who do you think stands out and by how much?

For example: Bakersfeild, CA June 20th

1. Vanguard -77.050

2. Blue devils -76.550

3. Pacific Crest -63.600

And it is impossible for the human mind i.e. the judges minds to instantly forget a performance and start "fresh". They can try but there is no way.

DISCLAIMER: I really do apprecialte all of the hard work and education the judges commit to DCI. They all do a fantastic job.

You can debate this all you want but come next friday we will see if the west coast scores are high, low, or about right when SCV meets Bluecoats and Cavaliers. If SCV is right with Cavaliers then the scores on the west coast are pretty accurate, if Cavies beat SCV by 1 point or more then the West coast was inflated, and if SCV beats cavies by 1 point or more then the East coast scores were inflated.

So sit back and wait for the 29th.

Everyone does know that DCI sends judges to different parts of the country to judge, right? What I mean is, they mix up the panels after a few shows so that all off the judges can get a read on all or most of the shows. "Inflation" might exist for a few shows, but it eventually levels out... even before the first regional.

west coast inflation talk = non west coast people being butt hurt

thats all it is. itd be the same thing if the east or midwest had really high scores.

get over it people

What is there to get over? All we are doing is debating a phenomenon that some of us see. No one has done anything to accidentally or intentionally hurt any member in any corps in this thread.

Edited by Tone Quality Matters