bones

NO CAPES!!

ednamode.jpg

:doh:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think these pretty much show the horn carry.

crossmenhorn1.jpg

crossmenhorn2.jpg

Yay for striped pants again. B)

Nah, not so much a fan of the striped pants on black. Now if they were white pants :rollseyes:

In this day-and-age, capes are basically dead, although I think when they had them they were great looking and they put in some nice visual effects with them.

Nah, not so much a fan of the striped pants on black. Now if they were white pants :rollseyes:

In this day-and-age, capes are basically dead, although I think when they had them they were great looking and they put in some nice visual effects with them.

We need to get the moms in there again and hem some of those pants and get this kids in uniforms that fit...ouch! Otherwise...go bones!

(Turning attention to the scores)

If you've been following the scores, there hasn't been much movement in the total score for the four shows:

Total Score: 68, 67.95, 69.05, 69.15

But, there's a different picture in the recaps. Both the Brass and Percussion scores have steadily grown:

Horn Score: 11.2, 12, 12.7, 13.5

Percussion: 12.3, 13.5, 13.4, 13.7

Combined, these scores have increased 3.7 points since Toledo. But the odd thing is that while brass and percussion have increased, the ensemble score has decreased.

Ensemble: 15.1, 13.1, 14.5, 12.6 (-2.5 vs. 1st show)

I don't really understand modern judging enough to explain how the ensemble score can decline while the individual section score are going up. Can anyone else explain it?

The GE and Visual captions haven't had the kind of significant movement that the above captions have. If the ensemble score didn't decline while the brass and percussion scores rose, we'd be seeing the Crossmen in the low 70's now.

It really is simple. The brassline is improving as a section and the judge on the field is listening only to them. The same for the percussion. Neither judge evaluates the sections as musical ensembles in that the balance/blend/timing between drums and brass is specifically an ensemble caption. It is very easy for both sections to improve, but if they have timing issues, balance issues, that is the upstairs judge making that call. This is normal and not something you should be concerned about. As long as the music guys working the ensemble do their job (which i am sure they will) this will improve as well.

It really is simple. The brassline is improving as a section and the judge on the field is listening only to them. The same for the percussion. Neither judge evaluates the sections as musical ensembles in that the balance/blend/timing between drums and brass is specifically an ensemble caption. It is very easy for both sections to improve, but if they have timing issues, balance issues, that is the upstairs judge making that call. This is normal and not something you should be concerned about. As long as the music guys working the ensemble do their job (which i am sure they will) this will improve as well.

Thanks for the explanation.

I'm a little skeptical that it's "normal", since other corps don't seem to be having the problem. But, I'll try to share your optimism about future improvement. Right now, this particular issue seems to be the difference between them ranking 15th and 13th.

I'm seeing the corps this Saturday at Giants stadium (after seeing them in Toledo last Saturday). I'm taking someone who has never been to a drum corps show. I just was hoping to see some marked improvement in the scores by then. Positive thoughts.

Edited by barigirl78

We need to get the moms in there again and hem some of those pants and get this kids in uniforms that fit...ouch! Otherwise...go bones!

Past experience tells me that some of these kids lose so much weight during spring training that their uniform needs to be taken in a couple of sizes. With 135 kids to keep an eye on, all corps have trouble keeping up with the necessary alterations. Not too many corps have the luxury of having several full time seamstresses on board.

Past experience tells me that some of these kids lose so much weight during spring training that their uniform needs to be taken in a couple of sizes. With 135 kids to keep an eye on, all corps have trouble keeping up with the necessary alterations. Not too many corps have the luxury of having several full time seamstresses on board.

good ol' drum corp weight loss program. my first year marching i was really out of shape and lost about 40 pounds!!

Captions update after Westminster for anyone wondering what is going on with the scores.

Their total score went down, but the horn score is still trending up.

(scores for each competition)

Total Score: 68, 67.95, 69.05, 69.15, 68.25

Horn Score: 11.2, 12, 12.7, 13.5, 13.7

Percussion: 12.3, 13.5, 13.4, 13.7, 13.7

Combined, these scores have increased 3.9 points since Toledo. The ensemble score seemed to recover a bit:

Ensemble: 15.1, 13.1, 14.5, 12.6, 12.8

They seemed to get dinged in Westminster by GE and Visual. Both either were equal or near their season lows:

GE: 28, 27.4, 27.5, 28.1, 27.4

Visual: 20.7, 21.25, 21.25, 21.15, 20.75