Best contra/tuba section in 2007?

Which corps has the most talented tuba section?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. You choose--Phantom Regiment or Bluecoats?

• Phantom Regiment
    • Bluecoats

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen PR's show, but I can say that I have not seen a tuba (contra) program like Coats have this year. Saw them at their preview in Canton and was totally impressed by how and how often they were staged and featured. As a low brass playyer myself, I can say they were playing some tough licks very well. I've been told by others that have seen them since that night that they are much better now! That section rocks!

Interesting thread. I didn't vote, cuz I have extreme bias :P , but one thing is certain: Bluecoats Contras and Tubas have been in the upper tier of excellence for a very long time, going all the way back to the first section that made finals in 1987. I teched that section for Memorial Day weekend, and wanted to join staff that summer, but the draw of another free ride to the Aspen Music Festival was a little stronger in my heart in those days. I worked for another corps in the mid 90's that competed directly with the Bluecoats, and our low brass techs were always very resepctful of the Bluecoats Contras. I claim this section (Bluecoats 2007) is not much different, except they actually have some notes!

Phantom's main claim to fame is the fact that they always have 12-14 players...they're usually very big. The 1996 Contra section was one of the best Phantom sections ever, and my all-time fav until very recently. Again, that was a function of their book! Truth be told, drum corps writers have ignored the bass levels as a an achoring melodic voice. THat kind of writing is very common in Classical Music, so it serves PR and SCV very well. Let's not forget the Contras of SCV of the 80s and 90s...some incredible low voices there!

Phantom 2006 *should* sound good, since the book was so easy. All they had to do was lay back, relax and blow. Same with Carolina Crown, and many other respected lowest brass lines of 2006. Bluecoats 2006 Tubas were darn good, too, and most of it very easy...one good lick, though.

My point is this: There have been many excellent Contra and Tuba sections over the years (79 Spirit? :) ). What makes the current Bluecoats 2007 rendition extremely special is the book. I've said all along that if writers would just "ask" the tuba section to do SOMETHING, the players would eat it up.

Note that I'm not taking anything away from the talent and work ethic of the 2007 Bluecoats Tubas. I'm just saying that other sections (across all time, all corps) have been just as talented and motivated, but this book is something new in DCI. And they're eating it up! Luckily, they ARE talented and motivated enough to make it happen!

Let's hope it starts a trend!