There are a few things you can count on

Alan,

Lets not forget the the Drum Corps Grand Prix was the 1st Drum corps show in Giants Stadium.

1978!

How can I forget.... the temperature was something like a thousand degrees or so on the Astroturf that afternoon!!!!!

Fran

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to seeing them Seamus........and to paraphrase and add to your statement:

"Give a man a fish and he eats for a day; teach him how to fish and he flourishes" an old Lenni Lenape saying

Jimbalaya

Also, aren't the Raiders going to be there as well?

Yep, they are, in exhibition. FYI they're competing this year as a Div II corps.

Ahhhhh Fran........so THAT explains the penchant for the Hawaiiiiiiian shirts?????

Hope all is well

J

1978!

How can I forget.... the temperature was something like a thousand degrees or so on the Astroturf that afternoon!!!!!

Fran

It’s hard to imagine anything lasting 43 years,

What was happening in 1964

MAJOR EVENTS:

· After completing what would have been the final year of John F. Kennedy's first term, President Johnson re-elected in a landslide over Barry Goldwater

· President Johnson declares "war on poverty," introduces a variety of federal welfare programs, including Medicare (initially proposed by Kennedy in 1960)

· Three civil rights workers murdered in Mississippi during "Freedom Summer"

· 24th Amendment to Constitution adopted, ensuring fair voting practices

· Race riots break out in Harlem and other U.S. cities

· Investigating the Kennedy assassination, the Warren Commission determines that "Oswald acted alone" in killing the president

· U.S. military forces launch attacks on North Vietnam in response to an alleged attack on a U.S. destroyer off the Vietnamese coast; Congress passes Gulf of Tonkin resolution that gives the President greater freedom to authorize combat actions in Vietnam

· Soviet leader Khrushchev falls from power, is ultimately replaced by Leonid Brezhnev

· Anchorage, Alaska hit by massive earthquake

· Turkey attacks Cyprus

BUSINESS & ECONOMY:

· Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa convicted of fraud, conspiracy and jury tampering

· The average hourly wage for blue collar workers has increased from between 50 and 75 percent since 1949

SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY:

· Space probe Mariner IV flies by Mars, transmitting pictures of the planet's surface back to earth

· The world's longest suspension bridge, the Verrazano Narrows Bridge in New York, opens

· Concern in Britain over "brain drain," or the mass emigration of British scientists to the U.S.

· World's Fair held in New York

· First lung transplant

SPORTS:

· World Series: St. Louis over New York Yankees, 4-3

· Olympics held in Tokyo

· Cassius Clay (the future Muhammad Ali) defeats Sonny Liston to win heavyweight boxing title

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT:

· Movies: Lord of the Flies, A Hard Day's Night, My Fair Lady, Goldfinger, Zorba the Greek, Mary Poppins

· Songs: I Want to Hold Your Hand, Hello Dolly!, She Loves You, Can't Buy Me Love, Do Wah Diddy Diddy, Oh Pretty Woman, Baby Love, My Guy

· TV Shows: The Munsters, The Virginian, Daniel Boone, Outer Limits, Gilligan's Island, Man From UNCLE, Flipper, Dr. Kildare, Voyage the the Bottom of the Sea

· Books: A Moveable Feast, Ernest Hemmingway (posthumous publication); Herzog, Saul Bellow; In His Own Write, John Lennon

· "Beatlemania" spreads as the Beatles become a global phenomenon

· Musicals Hello Dolly, Fiddler on the Roof debut

· Elizabeth Taylor marries Richard Burton after divorcing Eddie Fisher 10 days before

· Cole Porter dies

FUN FACTS:

· According to some reports, not a single juvenile crime is reported in New York City the night of the Beatles' first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show in February 1964

And the 1st Drum Corps Grand Prix

"1964 Drum Corps Champions":

VFW National Champion: Racine Kilties

American Legion National Champion (Junior): Garfield Cadets

American Legion National Champion (Senior): Hawthorne Caballeros

World Open Champion: Chicago Cavaliers

Dream Contest Champion (Junior): St Kevins Emerald Knights

Dream Contest Champion (Senior): Hawthorne Caballeros

Worlds Fair Champion: Chicago Royal Airs

CYO National Champion: Boston Crusaders

Elphaba

Lets not forget my trivia question from last year that the 1st Drum Corps Grand Prix was held in Paterson, NJ in Hincliffe Stadium.

This Stadium was located next the the Historic Great Falls in Paterson.

I haven't been back to that neighborhood in a couple years but I heard a rumor they may rebuild the stadium.

Lets not forget my trivia question from last year that the 1st Drum Corps Grand Prix was held in Paterson, NJ in Hincliffe Stadium.

This Stadium was located next the the Historic Great Falls in Paterson.

I haven't been back to that neighborhood in a couple years but I heard a rumor they may rebuild the stadium.

Man you are old.....

"1964 Drum Corps Champions":

VFW National Champion: Racine Kilties

American Legion National Champion (Junior): Garfield Cadets

American Legion National Champion (Senior): Hawthorne Caballeros

World Open Champion: Chicago Cavaliers

Dream Contest Champion (Junior): St Kevins Emerald Knights

Dream Contest Champion (Senior): Hawthorne Caballeros

Worlds Fair Champion: Chicago Royal Airs

CYO National Champion: Boston Crusaders

Elphaba

add to the list for 1964.......World Open Champion (Senior): Connecticut Hurricanes

13 days to go for the 43rd Drum Corps Grand Prix,

This will be the only time this year you will see the Cabs & The Bucs go head to head in New Jersey.

And don't forget the Caballero Alumni Drum Corps who have been blowing the stands down all season.

Get your Tickets now call 973-423-9702

We take Visa & Master Charge reserve your tickets now before it's to late.