Velvet Knights

I heard an obviously young and maybe nervous corps. There are some really good things there that will come out as time goes on. Tubas really played, and that's always a good thing. Some positive things coming out of the drumline as well. We'll have to see how it develops. But the kids seem to be having fun, and that's what matters right now. Positivity is contagious. They continue to grow and progress this year, and who knows what next year will bring? Sooner or later...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I wouldn't be so disappointed if they didn't hype it up as much as they did. They set expectations high and didn't deliver. Not the kids fault.

I, for one, don't think they were overhyped at all. Nobody was saying they were going to win DCI their first year out. And let's face it, this is basically a brand new corps with brand new membership. It's an accomplishment for a corps who had been absent for 10 years to come back in an era that's seeing an overall decrease in corps numbers. I don't know that anyone's expectations were for them to put on a performance with championship maturity.

For now, I think it kicks ### that they're out on the field playing some ambitious music. Go VK!

I guess I wouldn't be so disappointed if they didn't hype it up as much as they did. They set expectations high and didn't deliver. Not the kids fault.

This is not the fault of the members but that of the over eager PR staff. In this case, it appears as if they did the corps somewhat of a disservice by over hyping the corps. Regardless, it's nice having them back on the field again. I am certain we can expect bigger and better things from the VK in the future. More power to them!

This is not the fault of the members but that of the over eager PR staff. In this case, it appears as if they did the corps somewhat of a disservice by over hyping the corps. Regardless, it's nice having them back on the field again. I am certain we can expect bigger and better things from the VK in the future. More power to them!

Exactly. I remember when (that makes me sound old) Impulse first started and everyone thought they would be the return of VK. Their early shows were tough to handle, but a few years later when they did the I Love Lucy show I thought it was brilliant.

As for the "new" Velvet Knights, I'll see them for the first time in a long time tomorrow night. I'll let you know then.

Not just the PR staff, but alleged instructors also.

Perhaps more time spent writing and teaching and less posting would have been more condusive to a better on field product.

quote name='morganhill' date='Jun 28 2007, 10:43 AM' post='1895228']

Over hype? Naah.

They are on the field - that is a big enough hype. We need new corps. We need small corps. Anyone who puts a product out on the field should be encouraged.

There are a number of folks who post with sadness because of the dwindling number of drum corps in the US. If I was starting a new corps, I would not expect them to be great immediately. But I would expect the members of the Drum Corps community to encourage the organization and the students for making it onto the field.

Not everyone can start out like Star or even Academy. It would be nice, but let's be real here - all groups are different.

I say treat the younger corps like younger children - encouraging and positive. When they grow up - then be ruthless.

^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

Get 'er done, VK!!!

keep positive- You've still got fans everywhere. Everyones gotta start (restart) somewhere. I know I'll be cheering for you! And for every div III member out there giving all they got, just trying to survive the season. Drum Corps ain't easy, espeacially for the "little guys".

Not just the PR staff, but alleged instructors also.

Perhaps more time spent writing and teaching and less posting would have been more condusive to a better on field product.

quote name='morganhill' date='Jun 28 2007, 10:43 AM' post='1895228']

ALLEGED instructors??? Seems to me if they got the corps on the field at all, they're far from alleged.

Maybe you should get some experience putting a corps together before making such an assertion.

A firs year corps is going to come out relatively weak for the most part....first performance nerves, inexperiened members, etc...the fact that VK is back on the field in ANY capacity is a good thing.

plus for their first show they had a truck fire and had to borrow equipment from Academy just to be able to field. I'm impressed that they were able to complete the show at all without it being a complete train wreck. I remember our first show in 1984 after folding only one season. We had about 8 -12 vets and had a major tear in our opener but we continued and finished the show they continued the season and just kept climbing from there.