Has DCI been a success or failure?

Has DCI been a success or failure?  

268 members have voted

1. 1. Has DCI been a success or failure?

• Success
    • Failure

This question goes in line with what is happening with BOA/Music for All. It is pretty broad and you can decide on many levels if DCI has suceeded or failed so far since it's inception. If you think it has failed so far, then why or how has it failed? I left no middle choice for an answer. No gray area. An organization either succeeds or fails. By selecting a failure, it does not mean it was a complete failure. In other words, it isn't saying DCI sucks or anything blunt like that. You are basically weighing the good and success that DCI has versus the converse. As a whole, has DCI really succeeded?

In my opinion, DCI so far has failed. Going over 30+ years and having been around drum corps since my brother marched in the late 70's, drum corps has changed tremendously. There are a laundry list of great accomplishments that have happened during the DCI era. Don't get me wrong. Many great things have come out of DCI. But the deciding factor for me was when it went from a regional circuit to a national circuit like we have today, which I think jeopardizes the existence of a competitive drum corps circuit.

Just look at the number of corps from the 70's and compare that to now. It takes many, many years to see if the choices made back then were right or wrong. You have to let time pass to make a sound judgement. I think many associated in the circuit have forgotten it is a youth performing arts activity...for the kids. I think the choices made from an operational standpoint have been pretty disasterous. There were many junctions in the road were DCI could have stayed lean and greener, but instead chose to go wider and bigger.

I will just list where I think DCI went wrong:

1. The Star of Indiana situation

2. The national tour model vs. the regional model/circuits

3. The ESPN broadcast

4. Poor marketing

5. The commitment to Indy

In short, was drum corps in better shape before or after DCI? I have to say without question, it was in better shape before. Anyways, as the responses come in, I am sure I will further explain some of this better. Just would like to hear your thoughts.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm ... good question.

BUt I believe that the question is not as easy as "was drum corps in better shape before or after DCI?" to determine if DCI was a success or not. I think you need to take into consideration what drum corps would or might be like today if not for DCI and then determine if DCI has made things better or worse. DCI doesn't exist in a vacuum and many things have changed since pre-DCI -- things in society, etc that would have changed regardless and that would have had an effect on drum corps regardless.

So I'll have to give this one some thought ....

(btw, what do you mean by "Star of Indiana situation" -- their existence or their departure? Or the way they were treated while here?)

Hmmmm ... good question.

BUt I believe that the question is not as easy as "was drum corps in better shape before or after DCI?" to determine if DCI was a success or not. I think you need to take into consideration what drum corps would or might be like today if not for DCI and then determine if DCI has made things better or worse. DCI doesn't exist in a vacuum and many things have changed since pre-DCI -- things in society, etc that would have changed regardless and that would have had an effect on drum corps regardless.

Very true, but then you would be talking about another organization and not DCI. I understand where you are coming from. But, drum corps was at it's strongest point in the 70's. So yeah, you could apply the "it could only drop off some naturally" argument, too. But I think where drum corps is as far as numbers, for example, compare to today, is alarming. There are other factors, too.

So I'll have to give this one some thought ....

(btw, what do you mean by "Star of Indiana situation" -- their existence or their departure? Or the way they were treated while here?)

Their departure and the way they were treated and the impact they had on the organization. But, I don't want this to be another Star argument, so I didn't expand upon it because we have been down that beaten road enough.

Very true, but then you would be talking about another organization and not DCI. I understand where you are coming from. But, drum corps was at it's strongest point in the 70's. So yeah, you could apply the "it could only drop off some naturally" argument, too. But I think where drum corps is as far as numbers, for example, compare to today, is alarming. There are other factors, too.

What I was getting at was that, sure you can play the numbers game of number of corps, # of participants, etc from 1970 and now. But who's to say that the numbers wouldn't have been worse if DCI hadn't come around -- whether some other group formed instead or no group formed and drum corps just slowly died.

So in order to say whether you think DCI is a success or failure, I think you have to make some assumptions or guesses as to to what could have been, or what would have been instead and then compare.

I'm not disagreeing with your conclusion, just saying that I need to think about it a little before I give a thumbs up or thumbs down (which I am guessing will be a marginal one either way). :rolleyes:

Their departure and the way they were treated and the impact they had on the organization. But, I don't want this to be another Star argument, so I didn't expand upon it because we have been down that beaten road enough.

Thanks for the clarification. I agree that this argument/topic has been done to death -- just wanted to claridy what you getting at in your analysis. :thumbup:

DCI was formed in order to get control of the activity away from the veteran's organizations and put the corps themselves in charge of their own activity. By that standard, it has been an overwhelming success.

This was my initial reaction, too. But it's been 30+ years of control, so I think DCI needs to be judged not only on their initial reasoning/purpose (on which they have, indeed succeeded as you suggest), but also on the stewardship throughout their existence and at any point if the choices/directions made by DCI put the activity on a path that you might disagree with or think could have have been more prosperous, then I think it's fair to consider a "fail" for DCI in its entirety.

I'm not there, I just think this isn't an easy "If this, then this" question, that's all :rolleyes:

Edited by Liam