An Open Letter to JulesBry and to those

Agreed.... Im not leaving the activity, just don't like the direction it is going.

We will probably go to Indy next year - so I'm not leaving either, at least, not yet.

But I have to say, I was far more entertained by the likes of SCVC, BDB, Oregon and Surf than I was by a lot of the top 12 corps. I might just attend OC and semis and spend finals in the lot.

But I gave that letter a green plus, because I completely get where he's coming from.

Please, this thread is not about BD. Take that discussion elsewhere.

This is bigger than that squabble.

It may not be about BD, but they are the greatest example of fan dissatisfaction. They aren't the only one, but they are the highlight for the direction of judging that fans are dissatisfied with.

• Like 4

"Should"? New changes, new directions "should" send more floodng for the exits? Of the players involved with the DCI organization and those who head corps and the BOD, which ones do you think are approaching these changes with the attitude that it "should" cause more flooding for the exits?

And "flooding" is too broad a generalization to take seriously.

COULD it cause more "flooding" to the exits? Certainly, but I say not.

I'm just saying past performance is the greatest indicator of future results.

Lol, none of those people are leaving anything. They are just crying because their favorite corps didn't win. So many crybabies around here that think the sky is falling because Crown hasn't won a championship yet. Same crap happened in 2009 and 2010 and yet DCI is still around! In fact, record numbers of fans showing up at some venues this year like Atlanta. This tiny microcosm of people here on DCP just get their panties in a bunch when their favorites don't win.

I guarantee that if BD was in 2nd or 3rd place all year and didn't win the gold at Finals that none of these people would be #####ing about how BD is the death of drum corps. Some of these people would still hate them, but for the honest reason, which is they want their team to win.

For the record, I hold no allegiance to any corps out there since the corps I marched with either folded or are in DCA.

OK... You guarantee? Well, can I have my money back? To put it as bluntly as you did, yeah... I would have been "#####ing" about their show no matter what placement they took. I didn't like it. It's as simple as that. (and before the "you're putting down the kids" troupe chime in, I don't deny their talent and I NEVER have). As i said in another thread, I sat in a over-flowing theater that was filled with HS kids Thursday night and I got more agitated the more I listened. It felt like the kind of music you'd play to a prisoner to antagonize them. But that's MY opinion. Then again, I sat in a dead silent packed theater after BD completed their show. DEAD silent! So maybe it isn't just me. I also didn't care for BK's show.

Would I have been happy if Crown won? Yes. I loved their show. I also would have been happy to see Phantom, Cadets or SCV win as well. Hell... I would have had no problem if Surf won!

So put away your wide paint brush and sit back and relax.

• Like 2

Umm...a dream I had last night? My weekly meeting with my palm reader?

Come on.

I don't post pablum.

Well - you make a sweeping statement as if there is some concerted effort to move DCI in some new direction, and offer no citation or source. I was interested in where that info came from. If it's secret than just say so - but otherwise it might as well be the dream you had last night.

• Like 2

I guarantee that if BD was in 2nd or 3rd place all year and didn't win the gold at Finals that none of these people would be #####ing about how BD is the death of drum corps. Some of these people would still hate them, but for the honest reason, which is they want their team to win.

No - not it at all really.

It has much more to do with the general direction design seems to be taking.

(and you sound just like Jack Nicholson from the backseat of his own car in "as good as it gets")

• Like 1

For the record, I hold no allegiance to any corps out there since the corps I marched with either folded or are in DCA.

OK... You guarantee? Well, can I have my money back? To put it as bluntly as you did, yeah... I would have been "#####ing" about their show no matter what placement they took. I didn't like it. It's as simple as that. (and before the "you're putting down the kids" troupe chime in, I don't deny their talent and I NEVER have). As i said in another thread, I sat in a over-flowing theater that was filled with HS kids Thursday night and I got more agitated the more I listened. It felt like the kind of music you'd play to a prisoner to antagonize them. But that's MY opinion. Then again, I sat in a dead silent packed theater after BD completed their show. DEAD silent! So maybe it isn't just me. I also didn't care for BK's show.

Would I have been happy if Crown won? Yes. I loved their show. I also would have been happy to see Phantom, Cadets or SCV win as well. Hell... I would have had no problem if Surf won!

So put away your wide paint brush and sit back and relax.

Again, this thread is not about BD's show.

Well no #### they wouldnt. People feel that the judging system is consistently not rewarding the best shows, and is rewarding shows like BDs that shy away from exposure and demand and focus on safety and cleanliness (in other words, having it ###-backwards in terms of what engages an audience). If a show they believe is most definitely NOT the best in drum corps was not winning, then they would not have to believe that the judging system is severely flawed. They would still dislike BD's show for its flaws, but its implications on drum corps at large would be lessened as they would not be held up by the judging system as the best drum corps has to offer.

The judging system isn't flawed. It's how certain elements of shows are judged. We've had very popular shows win (cadets, phantom) and not so popular shows win (bD 2010) with the same judging system. Cadets 2011 won a couple TOC shows which used the new judging system we have this year. The system allows for generally popular shows to win.

The issue is simply how new elements of desIgn are being judged and how the judges are trained with in the very very very broad categories.

With the judges trying to open the creative playing field for design elements I feel they are restricting themselves to what gives higher number placements in each catagories.

Edited by charlie1223