The DCI 990s

Are the Soundsport and Drumline Battle initiatives included in these 990s, or are they accounted independently?

It's an interesting question, and one that I don't have a definitive answer to, but one that I'll find out for next year.

These are the 2012 reports, before there was anything organized for DrumLine Battle or Soundsport.

But, as I understand the premise of SS and DLB, it's likely that their expense and income will run through DCI's financial machinery.

Is there a standard "cut" which DCI takes from every DCI-sponsored (i.e., any show taking place during the "official" season) show? I am assuming that if there is, it would be on a percentage basis, rather than flat fee. And if so, what is that percentage? Sorry...I am of the uninitiated/uninformed camp.

Edited by HornTeacher

Wait, now that I consider it, I suppose that there could have been some VERY initial expenses that one could attribute to SS/DLB, but I don't it think it could add up to more than a few dollars. If I recall, SS/DLB began in early 2013.

Is there a standard "cut" which DCI takes from every DCI-sponsored (i.e., any show taking place during the "official" season) show? I am assuming that if there is, it would be on a percentage basis, rather than flat fee. And if so, what is that percentage? Sorry...I am of the uninitiated/uninformed camp.

Well, as it just so happens...

I'm one of the few brave souls who hosts a drum corps show so I know a little about the nature of "The Contract" with DCI. Out of respect I'll not divulge specifics so don't ask, but, essentially, a show host "purchases" a show from DCI. This includes, and is primarily, providing the host with a line-up of corps.

Each of those corps costs a different amount based upon several things, not the least of which is their finishing placement from the prior year(s). Open-Class corps are charged on the same basis.

It is a flat fee that the host is responsible for, and it MUST be paid by the time the show steps off. The host's job is to fill the stands and make enough to cover "The Contract" and have a little profit. A rainout? Tough luck, the host takes the risk. (The actual structure is a little more finessed than this such that there is some sharing of risk but, essentially, if the corps takes the field - even in standstill - and does a performance, they are entitled to be paid so the fee is paid.) If the day of show is cloudy and rainy and the stands are empty while the corps perform the host takes the hit.

Well, as it just so happens...

I'm one of the few brave souls who hosts a drum corps show so I know a little about the nature of "The Contract" with DCI. Out of respect I'll not divulge specifics so don't ask, but, essentially, a show host "purchases" a show from DCI. This includes, and is primarily, providing the host with a line-up of corps.

Each of those corps costs a different amount based upon several things, not the least of which is their finishing placement from the prior year(s). Open-Class corps are charged on the same basis.

It is a flat fee that the host is responsible for, and it MUST be paid by the time the show steps off. The host's job is to fill the stands and make enough to cover "The Contract" and have a little profit. A rainout? Tough luck, the host takes the risk. (The actual structure is a little more finessed than this such that there is some sharing of risk but, essentially, if the corps takes the field - even in standstill - and does a performance, they are entitled to be paid so the fee is paid.) If the day of show is cloudy and rainy and the stands are empty while the corps perform the host takes the hit.

And out of respect I would not expect you to divulge specifics. As to host responsibilities, I was basically already aware of the information you provided. I was merely attempting to ascertain and confirm my assumption that the fewer shows that take place in a given season, the less money actually comes into DCI coffers -- and by the logical converse, the more shows that take place, the more comes in. Rather simplistic, I know. And not always the case, I also know. That was the reason behind my initial foray into the researching of the general show numbers for the 2010/2011 seasons.

Just trying to eliminate my habitation in the "assume" category.

And out of respect I would not expect you to divulge specifics. As to host responsibilities, I was basically already aware of the information you provided. I was merely attempting to ascertain and confirm my assumption that the fewer shows that take place in a given season, the less money actually comes into DCI coffers -- and by the logical converse, the more shows that take place, the more comes in. Rather simplistic, I know. And not always the case, I also know. That was the reason behind my initial foray into the researching of the general show numbers for the 2010/2011 seasons.

Just trying to eliminate my habitation in the "assume" category.

Well, your premise of more shows = more $$ is surely correct, everything else being equal. More revenue could also be increased contract fees, of course, and more souvie sales, and higher ticket prices. But yes, all of those other things being equal, more shows = more revenue into DCI.

So, let's look at "Revenue".

First is an entry called "Gross Receipts". This is the highest level of classification for the "size" of DCI. I suspect that all sources of "receipts" are included here. So for the past four years, DCI has made some progress but is mostly flat:

Gross Receipts

2009: $10,224,576
2010: $9,859,668 (minus $364,908 from 2009)
2011: $10,828,969 (plus $969,301 from 2010, and $604,393 from 2009. A 5.9% increase over the three years)

2012:$10,657,472 (minus $171m from 2011, plus $797m from 2010, plus $433m from 2009)

Thanks for the reprieve re contributions. I'm not sure my 100 year budget would have survived its toll.

I have re-read some of your 2012 posts and, as is true today, there were questions re the data and, somewhere along the way, you and/or others raised the hope that the corps would offer answers.

Did any corps do so and, if so, are you at liberty to disclose the responses?

Also, are these 990s audits or reviews or compilations? I ask only to determine whether explanatory footnotes are available to tell the full accounting story.