The DCI 990s

This is a bit misleading because, in 2011, Steve Vickers at Drum Corps World donated a collection to DCI that was valued at $350,000. Excluding that one-time contribution, this category appears remarkably static.

Question (& pls point me in the correct direction if this was already answered) - What was the $350K collection donated by DCW (Kobald tapes maybe?) and how was the value determined?

Wow. After perusing through a handful of top 12 corps' 990s, it's remarkably how much better funded SCV and BD are than pretty much anyone else. 2012 revenues were $3.7M for BD and $3.9M for SCV. Net assets were $1.9M for BD and $2.9 for SCV. These are very stable organizations.

Wow. After perusing through a handful of top 12 corps' 990s, it's remarkably how much better funded SCV and BD are than pretty much anyone else. 2012 revenues were $3.7M for BD and $3.9M for SCV. Net assets were $1.9M for BD and $2.9 for SCV. These are very stable organizations.

True this. IIRC there was a change a few years back in the bingo laws in the Peoples Republic of Califonia that caused both BD & SCV to prognosticate fiscal gloom and doom. Does anyone know that the fiscal impact actually was? Just curious.

I'm sure the Fan Network adds to revenues, and I'm pretty sure it shows up here. There are no other categories in which it would be listed shown on the forms.

But the big boost from FN came in 2013 with the broadcast of Finals. We won't see those numbers until the 2013 990s are posted sometime early next year.

I agree that there should be boost due to Finals, but there may have been other subtle changes to the Fan Network between 2010 and 2011 that may have upped revenues--price increases, more subscribers, etc. I just wasn't really keeping track to make any assessment of it. I suspect that the FN subscriber count has been increasing over time, but have no confidence in that assumption.

Question (& pls point me in the correct direction if this was already answered) - What was the $350K collection donated by DCW (Kobald tapes maybe?) and how was the value determined?

My understanding is that it was valued by an outside valuation and auditor.

It is a flat fee that the host is responsible for, and it MUST be paid by the time the show steps off. The host's job is to fill the stands and make enough to cover "The Contract" and have a little profit. A rainout? Tough luck, the host takes the risk. (The actual structure is a little more finessed than this such that there is some sharing of risk but, essentially, if the corps takes the field - even in standstill - and does a performance, they are entitled to be paid so the fee is paid.) If the day of show is cloudy and rainy and the stands are empty while the corps perform the host takes the hit.

I don't want to go too far on a tangent, but this post makes me curious about a few things. Understanding you may not be able to get too specific, I'll ask:

1) What is the cost of cancellation insurance? Is it remotely affordable?

2) Do you, as the show organizer, know a breakdown of how much each corps "costs" or do you just get the final fee?

3) Somewhat related to No. 2 - at what point in the process do you find out what the lineup will be?

4) Does DCI provide any guidelines as to ticket pricing, or is that left up to the organizer?

5) Does DCI handle ticket sales or does the organzier have to find someone to handle that?

Lots of things come to mind even when talking about an "ordinary" weeknight show, much less the logistics of any of the major regionals or nationals. Curious to hear more about how DCI handles things.

Well, as it just so happens...

I'm one of the few brave souls who hosts a drum corps show so I know a little about the nature of "The Contract" with DCI. Out of respect I'll not divulge specifics so don't ask, but, essentially, a show host "purchases" a show from DCI. This includes, and is primarily, providing the host with a line-up of corps.

Each of those corps costs a different amount based upon several things, not the least of which is their finishing placement from the prior year(s). Open-Class corps are charged on the same basis.

It is a flat fee that the host is responsible for, and it MUST be paid by the time the show steps off. The host's job is to fill the stands and make enough to cover "The Contract" and have a little profit. A rainout? Tough luck, the host takes the risk. (The actual structure is a little more finessed than this such that there is some sharing of risk but, essentially, if the corps takes the field - even in standstill - and does a performance, they are entitled to be paid so the fee is paid.) If the day of show is cloudy and rainy and the stands are empty while the corps perform the host takes the hit.

Getting a bit OT, but FWIW the Rome show was rained out this year. Cascade (Ha!) performed in an increasing downpour, then it had to be called off due to lightning.

Their policy off the website is this:

As stated on all order forms and tickets, there are no refunds or exchanges for tickets purchased. This policy is in place because the harsh reality is that, even though the show was not completed, all of the expenses associated with the production of DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK remain the same.

They are offering $5 discounts to next year's event. And I'll be there. If they had given a refund they'd probably go bankrupt and couldn't do the show anymore. It's a shoestring activity all around, so we all have to be patient with it sometimes!

Getting a bit OT, but FWIW the Rome show was rained out this year. Cascade (Ha!) performed in an increasing downpour, then it had to be called off due to lightning.

Their policy off the website is this:

They are offering $5 discounts to next year's event. And I'll be there. If they had given a refund they'd probably go bankrupt and couldn't do the show anymore. It's a shoestring activity all around, so we all have to be patient with it sometimes!

Pete, I hope we can meet up there. I'm only an hour away.

• Like 1

I think you have it backwards. Revenue generated by DCI is shared with corps, corps don't funnel money into DCI. Any money a corps can raise on its own stays with that organization. Revenues generated by DCI pay expenses (including payouts to corps throughout the year), then any overage is left in DCI, the org.

One of the expectations is that DCI maintain a half-million dollar (+/-) cushion in assets. They seem to have still met that expectation, although they tapped assets to pay for 2012 to the tune of about $100m.

questions as I know it's broken out where you can see it but...could the TOC shows have contributed to the loss?