The DCI 990s

I would imagine that 99% of "sales of inventory" is DVDs and the like, not hats and T-shirts.

[smacking my own head] Well, duh -- I should've realized that. When I hear the word "souvies," my mind typically thinks of wearables. DVD and related media makes complete sense. I'll go back to being quiet now.

I've been trying to figure out how to amend the 990's thread with the 2012 DCI filing.

Well... for each individual corps, you could keep the updates simple by providing short commentary, based on the corps' finances:

Corps A: Break open the champagne

Corps B: Lighting cigars with $100 bills

Corps C: Train wreck

Corps D: Toast

And so forth. :tongue:

Double post. Oops.

Edited by Fran Haring

Well... for each individual corps, you could keep the updates simple by providing short commentary, based on the corps' finances:

Would that be before or after including GE scores, Fran?

• Like 1

This is pretty funny, Fran (the first time that is), and I get where you're coming from.

But part of my particular problem is that I work in the investment business, which is HIGHLY regulated. If I summarize each 990 with a single comment (LOVE the train wreck descriptor!) it could be interpreted that I, personally, am endorsing, or not, a particular corps. That's flies very close to the flame of "advice", and any time I'm providing "advice" (or qualified opinion as to the quality of an organization) the regulators (FINRA, if anyone's interested) believe I need to be regulated, disclosed, approved by compliance, copied four different ways, filed in Washington, and held to the standard of "advisor".

Because I do drum corps and DCP for fun and not profit, I don't want to fly anywhere close to that flame. That's why you'll likely never see me say "IS", or "IS NOT" and, instead, I use "could be", or "maybe", or "it looks like in my opinion". And even that could be a problem because "IMO" means "in my professional opinion" (whether I mean it to be professional or not) which means it's my profession and, hence, is regulated.

Besides, it's more fun to form your own opinion and then argue it on these threads. We're all pretty good at that here, eh?

Edited by garfield

OK, on to expenses...

Mercifully, there are only two categories of expenses that are used in the DCI filings:

1. Salaries, other compensation, employee benefits, and
2. Other expenses

But that second, "Other expenses", contains a handful of sub-sections that detail everything from "Adverstising & Promotion" to "Telephone and Internet" and "Postage". Some of the subsections, like "Broadcast and Production" are quite interesitng.

While a bit tedious, I'll list all the expenses in the same 4-year methodology as Revenue above.

First, Salaries, compensation, and benefits:

2009: $1,310,349
2010: $1,370,994
2011: $1,341,278

2012: $1,399,208

A little deeper:

"Compensation of Officers, Directors, Trustees, Key Employees, Highest Compensated Employees, and Independent Contractors":

NOTE: While all Board members are listed, only Dan Acheson, CEO, and Wayne Leide, CFO, are paid or their executive services.

Dan Acheson:

2009: $105,278
2010: $113,115
2011: $118,000
2012: $118,000

Wayne Leide:

2009: $88,728
2010: $88,300
2011: $91,716

2012: $92,000

A new entry showed up in the 2011 filings where there were none shown in the '09 or '10 filings.

Under the heading of "Independent Contractors", the form asks to "Complete this table for your five highest compensated independent contractors that recieved more than $100,000 of compensation from the organization..."

In 2011, two contractors were listed for the first time:

DSM Sports Marketing, Inc. of Valrico, FL was paid $127,225 for "Marketing", and
The Art Department, Inc, of Mount Holly, NJ was paid $111,020 for "Marketing"

For 2012: DSM was paid $152,080, and The Art Department was paid $114,020

Edited by garfield

So, garfield . . .

Is it not true, many items can be buried under several categories, with no one being the wiser? This inspection is fascinating, for sure. It's just that certain 'things' can be done and gotten away with? To some extent, I'm not comfortable in the utility of putting these figures out there. Yes, these figures ARE out there for inspection. It's just that . . . well, there's maybe more to the story. Do you agree?

Dan Acheson's salary is on the low side for a not-for-profit of this size, by the way.