Pacific Crest and Blue Devils Team Up in SoCal Clinic/Audition

So, instead of Pacific Crest being a sovereign corps; they are now going to be a feeder corps for the Blue Devils and Blue Devils B.

Appears so. Pacific Crest, that competes in the same division and on the same field with the Blue Devils, is pretty much announcing that they will never beat the BD in the future, as you can bet your life, this arrangement would never happen with SCV and BD, or 2 Corps relatively close to one another in competitive placements doing this.

So sure, this arrangement is good for both, but it most certainly establishes the one time informality of PC being a feeder Corps to BD, as one that now announces it publically and formally to all as such.

When the Crossmen were part of the Cadets YEA organization, who benefited the most placement wise from that relationship ? If one says " The Cadets ", they go right to the head of the class, with that wise assessment and correct response.

Pacific Crest will never be able to successfully compete with BD in the future on the field of competition with such an arrangement. But at least they are acknowledging that reality, and are publically ok with announcing that they will be a feeder Corps to BD, and also will consider taking into their Corps the marchers who are cut by BD... and then go out and compete on the field with BD in this arrangement. Very odd, imo. But both organizations seem pleased with this arrangement. So if they are both pleased, then whats to not like here ? Nothing, as near as I can tell. So good luck to Pacific Crest and the future competitive position they've resigned themselves too here relative to BD in the World Class Division of DCI. They're happy, so I'm happy for them too ! Seriously.

Edited by BRASSO

Appears so. Pacific Crest, that competes in the same division and on the same field with the Blue Devils, is pretty much announcing that they will never beat the BD in the future, as you can bet your life, this arrangement would never happen with SCV and BD, or 2 Corps relatively close to one another in competitive placements doing this.

So sure, this arrangement is good for both, but it most certainly establishes the one time informality of PC being a feeder Corps to BD, as one that now announces it publically and formally to all as such.

When the Crossmen were part of the Cadets YEA organization, who benefited the most placement wise from that relationship ? If one says " The Cadets ", they go right to the head of the class, with that wise assessment and correct response.

Pacific Crest will never be able to successfully compete with BD in the future on the field of competition with such an arrangement. But at least they are acknowledging that reality, and are publically ok with announcing that they will be a feeder Corps to BD, and also will consider taking into their Corps the marchers who are cut by BD... and then go out and compete on the field with BD in this arrangement. Very odd, imo. But both organizations seem pleased with this arrangement. So if they are both pleased, then whats to not like here ? Nothing, as near as I can tell. So good luck to Pacific Crest and the future competitive position they've resigned themselves too here relative to BD in the World Class Division of DCI. They're happy, so I'm happy for them too ! Seriously.

Oh please....PC's highest ever placement so far was 16th...they have yet to even make finals, let alone be competitive with BD.

Oh please....PC's highest ever placement so far was 16th...they have yet to even make finals, let alone be competitive with BD.

Oh please... Pacific Crest is not an Open Class Division Competing Corps. They compete against the Blue Devils in the same World Class Division against one another. This arrangement essentially has them throwing in the towel of ever getting up to the placement level of the Blue Devils in the FUTURE... not how they have fared against one another competitively up to now. In my view, Pacific Crest should move down to the Open Class Division now under this formalized feeder system codified arrangement with the Blue Devils. But nobody in either Corps asked me, so if PC wants to compete against BD in this arrangement in the same division in the future, thats their business, not mine. With this arrangement, PC has about as much chance of ever beating BD in the future as does Bermuda beating the USA to win an Olympic Gold Medal in Ice Hockey... probably much less of a chance than Bermuda does as a matter of fact.

Edited by BRASSO

Define "feeder corps" in the modern sense. It certainly isn't like what it used to be, when a corps had their own feeder corps which trained members for the specific purpose to be funneled into their parent "A" corps. So what is it? If the Blue Devils' membership is comprised of kids who used to march in Pacific Crest, and the Colts, and Phantom Regiment, and Academy, and Blue Knights, and even Carolina Crown, does that mean that all of those corps are feeder corps for the Blue Devils? Tell me how this is supposed to work because I'd be interested to know what percentage of members in a given corps coming from another corps would officially constitute them being a "feeder corps?"

But at least they are acknowledging that reality, and are publically ok with announcing that they will be a feeder Corps to BD, and also will consider taking into their Corps the marchers who are cut by BD... and then go out and compete on the field with BD in this arrangement.

Most interested mm, I believe, do not audition with BD unless they are good. I envision many who get cut by BD, moving on to another top 12 corps.

If your Corps has more former marchers over the years that have gone on to march the Blue Devils, than the numbers of former marchers from the Blue Devils that have left the Blue Devils over the years to come march your Corps, then under my personal definition, you are a " Feeder Corps " to the Blue Devils.

As such, Pacific Crest is a " Feeder Corps " ( or another appropriate term... a " Stepping Stone Corps ") to the Blue Devils.

This informal arrangement is simply made more formalized now with this announcement. This is my definition of a " Feeder Corps/ Stepping Stone Corps ". Pacific Crest is the classic example under my personal definition of the terms.

Additionally, I would refer to the Blue Devils A Corps as a " Destination Corps " . My personal definition of a " Destination Corps " is a Corps where THEIR definition of a " Feeder Corps " is where you are fed from their kitchen truck crew when you march there, and as a marcher, you intend that this kitchen truck will be the last one you intend to be fed from in your last summer tour in Drum Corps .

Edited by BRASSO

IDK; if we're being honest the young ringers are going up to BD anyway. Blue Devils don't need help recruiting and I think many PC members have gone on to Blue Devils anyway. This is very cool of BD to collaborate with PC, and if nothing else I suspect this will just bring in a LOT more students to the clinic, thus netting both corps additional money

Even if PC retained a majority of members, they'd only get so much better without design changes

can you show me the words where PC said they'll never ever beat BD? what happened in YEA and what's happening here are two very different things.

but why ruin your conpsiracy theories with logic

Oh please... Pacific Crest is not an Open Class Division Competing Corps. They compete against the Blue Devils in the same World Class Division against one another. This arrangement essentially has them throwing in the towel of ever getting up to the placement level of the Blue Devils in the FUTURE... not how they have fared against one another competitively up to now. In my view, Pacific Crest should move down to the Open Class Division now under this formalized feeder system codified arrangement with the Blue Devils. But nobody in either Corps asked me, so if PC wants to compete against BD in this arrangement in the same division in the future, thats their business, not mine. With this arrangement, PC has about as much chance of ever beating BD in the future as does Bermuda beating the USA to win an Olympic Gold Medal in Ice Hockey... probably much less of a chance than Bermuda does as a matter of fact.

Given the high odds against anyone making BDA given the numbers who audition -- even B corps members have to fight it out to get in -- it's more likely BD would feed PC.

You proclaiming the PC is now officially a feeder corps for BD is the height of arrogance, and is a huge slap in the face to PC.

• Like 1