2015 Blu-ray - Essential Disc TBD?

Every year the past 3 years they have released an annual Blu-ray disc, first 2 years were championship shows and last year was a selection of popular shows. Any word on if they are doing one this year and what it might be? Perhaps a collection of close #2 placement that a few thought were in the conversation... or just release 1989 top 12 in full!

there is a set-list for essentials4, but last time I talked to somebody in the know the word was that the project has been put on hold while some merchandise personnel moves were getting situated. Essentials 4, as originally planned anyways, is a sequel to Essentials3 (so Classics Part 2).

I am thinking that the fourth in the Essentials series might be similar to last year's compilation of favorite non-championship shows. When I purchased my Essentials Blu-ray last summer in Atlanta, the young man who sold it to me was the same young man who sells the DVD's in Indy and works for DCI. I don't know his name or what his job with DCI is, all I know he was once a Blue Star. We talked a bit about the shows included in the most recent disc ,and I told him I was surprised that Bridgemen 1980 was included but 27th 1980 was not (for me, 1976 was the groundbreaking show, though I do love 1980's horn line), and why Madison 1995 was included over 1999, which led to a heated discussion among people in line who were not old enough to have seen either show. The young man who sold he disc to me told me I'd be happy with the volume released this year. My guess is he was not referring specifically to 1980's 27th performance or Madison's 1999 as much as another collection of favorite non-championship shows.

What I would love to see: 1981 championship shows that were recoded by the corps. There are some that exist and the quality is not great, but could probably be cleaned up a bit.

Edited by Tim K

The whole concept of "Essentials" is threatened by rights.

"Essentials" in the future will likely refer to shows that weren't taken down by rights-holders.

I would think that "Essentials" would be something more akin to "Get them before they're taken down by rights-holders".

The rights that are pulling down streaming shows have always been, and will always be different than those needed for DVD/Bluray format. The issue with release have nothing to do with the FN topic that has been going on.

• Like 2

I am thinking that the fourth in the Essentials series might be similar to last year's compilation of favorite non-championship shows. When I purchased my Essentials Blu-ray last summer in Atlanta, the young man who sold it to me was the same young man who sells the DVD's in Indy and works for DCI. I don't know his name or what his job with DCI is, all I know he was once a Blue Star. We talked a bit about the shows included in the most recent disc ,and I told him I was surprised that Bridgemen 1980 was included but 27th 1980 was not (for me, 1976 was the groundbreaking show, though I do love 1980's horn line), and why Madison 1995 was included over 1999, which led to a heated discussion among people in line who were not old enough to have seen either show. The young man who sold he disc to me told me I'd be happy with the volume released this year. My guess is he was not referring specifically to 1980's 27th performance or Madison's 1999 as much as another collection of favorite non-championship shows.

What I would love to see: 1981 championship shows that were recoded by the corps. There are some that exist and the quality is not great, but could probably be cleaned up a bit.

that was me Tim. anybody who bought a disc at a regional in the last 10 years probably had it handed to them by me, which is a pleasure and a privilege.

the 1980 Bridgemen choice had to do with

-it was their highest recorded finish

-it was the first of 3 consecutive drum titles.

-and the horn line

the E4 list, last time I saw it, had some 27th on it but sadly not Madison 99. and another Bridgemen, but not 77.

that wasn't in ink yet, though, so no promises.

The guy who curated the Essentials line has moved on from DCI, so the state of the Essentials line and other new A/V is in statis while things settle.

I know that the numbers on the Essentials line have been good, though, so I would be confident that it will resurface.

the following is in no way in production or even planning, but there have been chats about a hypothetical future 'stage and screen' Essentials.

of course the beast of right and fees presents a sizable obstacle, but it was still a fun list to make. Where E1-2 where the Big Obvious Popular Consumption Shows, E3-4 kind of with a lean towards insiders and old timers, Hypothetical E5 would be heavy on Fun and Accessible

Lancers (77or78) Rocky/Carmen

Phantom (81or82) Spartacus

Spirit (84) Porgy and Bess

Star (85or86) Disney/SciFI

Phantom (88) Romeo&Juliet

Devils (90) Tommy

VK (90) Universal Studios

SCV (91) Miss Saigon

Cadets (94) West Side Story

Scouts (99) Jesus Christ Superstar

Cavaliers (04) Bond

Devils (06) Godfather

again, that is purely a hypothetical list we came up with during long days of selling merch and is presented purely for amusement purposes at this point.

For those of you who have purchased the Essentials DVDs....I've often thought of buying them, but I have the Legacy Collection and every year since. Are they really that much better than what I already have?

I really wish we could create our own DVDs like WGI does...hint hint DCI!

For those of you who have purchased the Essentials DVDs....I've often thought of buying them, but I have the Legacy Collection and every year since. Are they really that much better than what I already have?

IMO the remastered shows are incredible, at least the Blu-ray HD Essentials. The sound is great (for maybe the first time you can actually hear what Garfield played after the dissolving company front at the end of the show, for example), and the picture clarity is off the hook. I highly recommend

*EDIT*

Also, FWIW, I've A/B'ed Legacy DVDs with some of the Essentials shows (87 Garfield, 89 SCV, 88 Scouts shows in particular) and its no contest. I got several Legacy DVDs a few months before the Essential vol. 1 Blu-ray came out, and the Essential discs make the Legacy DVD shows obsolete.

Again, that's the Blu-rays, though. I think the Essential shows have all been remastered, so I would imagine any shows on those collections that pre-date DCI filming Finals in HD are a significant bump in quality.

Edited by perc2100