Confused about Judging?

i thought scoring was more odd than usual this season. What if anything was odd to you as far as captions, scores, placements...

There was a caption here and there in championships week, but I thought it was pretty spot on. I wasn't in the press box or on the field hearing what the judges said or what the corps was like from those vantage points, but from what I could tell this was probably the first time since I've followed the activity that I either agree or can understand why every corps placed where they did. Thought they did a great job overall.

Edited by DrumManTx

There was a caption here and there in championships week, but I thought it was pretty spot on. I wasn't in the press box or on the field hearing what the judges said or what the corps was like from those vantage points, but from what I could tell this was probably the first time since I've followed the activity that I either agree or can understand why every corps placed where they did. Thought they did a great job overall.

Ultimately the correct corps won and placements for the most part were ok.

As a CADETS homer My biggest take away was Cadets- 6th in brass, percussion and music I thought was a bit ambitious by the judges. Wondering who thought their particular corps was under scored in a particular caption.

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1

i thought scoring was more odd than usual this season. What if anything was odd to you as far as captions, scores, placements...

Oregon Crusaders and Mandarins head to head scores. Its clear to me that there was a huge divide amongst the DCI judging community on which of these 2 Corps were better. Corps performances do change from show to show, of course. But these 2 Corps scores & spreads between each other were so radically up and down for pretty much the opening bell to the Championships, that it was a head scratcher, imo

Edited by BRASSO

Oregon Crusaders and Mandarins head to head scores. Its clear to me that there was a huge divide amongst the DCI judging community on which of these 2 Corps were better. Corps performances do change from show to show, of course. but these 2 Corps scores & spreads between each other were so off the wall for most of the season, that it must be a complete mystery to both these Corps staffs and marchers as to what in hades was going on from show to show.

I think Oregon Crusaders show was VERY unique and really risky in a bunch of different ways, they were rewarded for it sometimes and then the next day not so much. You either liked that one and what they were going for or did not at all and that was it. One thing that was pretty consistent was Mandarins scoring much stronger visually, which I can definitely see and Oregon Crusaders scoring higher in music, which I can definitely see.

Edited by DrumManTx

If the 2016 Cadets were a 5th place Drumline, they just might've been the best 5th place Drumline in DCI history, imo.

• Like 4

Oregon Crusaders and Mandarins head to head scores. Its clear to me that there was a huge divide amongst the DCI judging community on which of these 2 Corps were better. Corps performances do change from show to show, of course. But these 2 Corps scores & spreads between each other were so radically up and down for pretty much the opening bell to the Championships, that it was a head scratcher, imo

Agreed. I always felt there was much score inconsistency as you move down the latter and always chalked it up to corps performance inconsistency since I personally didn't see those corps but perhaps not the case as you say. Edited by Tobias

? Did the CG judge give The BD 2nd place ?? DCI needs to do what WGI did 20 years ago. Double judging panels !

• Like 1

? Did the CG judge give The BD 2nd place ?? DCI needs to do what WGI did 20 years ago. Double judging panels !

They already double general effect and percussion for championships. But sure, let's give DCI more costs, i.e., more reasons to increase the ticket prices.

But to answer your specific question:

If you mean, was it the score awarded by "the CG judge" that put Blue Devils in second overall at Finals? No. The Finals judge had BD's guard in first.

If you mean, did "the CG judge" put BD's guard in second? No. Two out of three CG judges put BD's guard in second.

Here, I think, are all the times BD's guard went against Crown's this year:

7/17 Dekalb -- G. Oliviero had BD ahead of Crown by 0.4 (with Bluecoats between them)

7/18 Warrensburg -- C. Dillon had Crown ahead of BD by 0.2 (but Bluecoat were on top of both of them)

7/19 Bentonville -- M. Bowers had Crown ahead of BD by 0.2

7/22 Houston -- D. Torchia had BD ahead of Crown by 0.2 (but Bluecoats were on top of both of them)

7/23 San Antonio -- M. Thompson had Crown ahead of BD by 0.2 (with Bluecoats between them)

7/29 Nashville -- M. Stone had BD ahead of Crown by 0.6 (with Bluecoats between them)

7/30 Atlanta -- W. Chumley had Crown ahead of BD by 0.3

8/5-6 Allentown (different nights) -- R. Kemp had BD ahead of Crown by 0.2 (with Bluecoats between them)

8/7 Buffalo -- M. Thompson had BD ahead of Crown by 0.1, but had Crown ahead in content

8/11 Prelims -- M. Lentz had Crown ahead of BD by 0.3

8/12 Semis -- M. Thompson had Crown ahead of BD by 0.2 (with Bluecoats between them)

8/13 Finals -- W. Chumley had BD ahead of Crown by 0.3

Agreed. I always felt there was much score inconsistency as you move down the latter and always chalked it up to corps performance inconsistency since I personally didn't see those corps but perhaps not the case as you say.

Interesting observation...back when I judged brass for Drum Corps West, we did some workshop exercises in relation to scoring. What we found was that the better the corps, the less disagreement there was as to the relative scoring level of the particular groups.

BD won color guard at finals.