Contra/Tuba Line

ussglassman

Well now - since you say "strongest"......

how about the line that does the most pushups all summer :worthy:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not suggest saying to someone playing a contra that they are a tuba player :thumbdown:

i was firmly corrected when i asked a contra player if he'd handled the new jupiter tuba they're getting,,,

i was trying to be politically correct,, not old skool..

i was wrong lol

they don't play tubas,,,,

they play contras...

lol

Well now - since you say "strongest"......

how about the line that does the most pushups all summer :thumbup:

On that note, I would have to give the nod to the US Marine Corps Drum and Bugle Corps.

(You could fight them for the title, but I wouldn't suggest it.)

DCA-since 2001, Renegades without question, bottom line

DCI- Star 1991 and 1993, Phantom 96, Spartans 98, Crown 2006+

DCI=Phantom 08

DCA=Crusaders 08 nuf said

I love extreme bias in these discussions, it's great. To me, the strongest tuba section is going to be the one that makes the rest of the hornline sound good.

DCI - Carolina Crown easily. That line not only has an impressive, warm sound, but they make the rest of the hornline sound like a million bucks. Phantom doesn't have this luxury.

DCA - again, this is easy, Reading. Pretty much same reasons as Crown.

while I'd rather listen to other hornlines in DCA (mainly due to choice of music), I refuse to say there is a hornline more balanced and blended than The Bucs.

What I'm curious about is why does Phantom march only 11 or 12 compared to the 14-man lines of the past? Every other big corps has stepped up their numbers to meet the new membership guidelines and Phantom's contra line seems to be getting proportionately smaller every year. Now, I will never say 12 is a small line, but compared to their past lines, and their competitions 16-member lines, wouldn't it make sense to maintain the reputation? And yes, to you history junkies out there I am aware that Phantom had one of the most awesome contra features in drum corps history in 1990 with only 10......Also, does anyone know why BD only marched 8 contras in 2000?