Blue Devils, Cadets, Cavaliers, SCV

I don't remember that many people having marched open class. I actually remember more people who had marched senior corps first than open class.

I agree. The number of Open Class kids moving up from year to year is a lot lower than a lot of people think it is.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. The number of Open Class kids moving up from year to year is a lot lower than a lot of people think it is.

based on the surveys we've conducted over the years, the indication is that between 15%-18% of world class performers have previously performed with an Open class corps.

we have also looked at the issue from the Open Class side, delving into why students do or do not audition for World Class corps. Major issues cited - 1) time and distance 2) money 3) talent.

Edited by stevedci

as far as marching a top 5 corps your rookie year, it does happen a lot. There are some strong marching band programs at high schools. Our horn sergeant in HS last year is marching mello in SCV this year.

its probably different for the drum line though. All the lines have such good players

I made Cavaliers without marching anywhere before, my high school band didn't even compete, we did a new show every week. My rookie year in the front ensemble there was only one person that had marched somewhere previously before coming to Cavaliers, everyone else was either a rookie or started in the corps, plus the one guy that marched snare at Phantom, 2 years snare at Cavies, then aged out in the front.

Edited by drummer5485

I made Cavaliers without marching anywhere before, my high school band didn't even compete, we did a new show every week. My rookie year in the front ensemble there was only one person that had marched somewhere previously before coming to Cavaliers, everyone else was either a rookie or started in the corps, plus the one guy that marched snare at Phantom, 2 years snare at Cavies, then aged out in the front.

I thank you very much for sharing your experience. It is probably true that MANY of the top three DCI Corps members ( Cavies; Cadets; BD) have prior experiences elsewhere(other corps; bands?)

It is possible. A former student of mine made it straight to Cadets during his junior year in HS on lead Mello. A very crackerjack/motivated young man. Later went on to Blast.

You just have to be spot on and a mature person for your age. I know we told him given his age it would be a concern- but he was prepared for that issue coming up during the audition period, and evidently dealt with those concerns just fine with their staff. :plain:

I just checked my 2004 corps picture and counted 8 guys (of 64) in the 2004 Cavalier hornline who had marched with other corps. 4 trumpets (Colts x 2, Bloo, and Pio), 1 mello (S-dub/BAC), 3 baritones (Revo, G-Men, and GBV), and 0 tubas.

Edited by Jayzer

It's been a few years since I marched.... but, iirc, I think most of the folks that I marched with in SCV had either come in with no previous experience with other corps or came from SCVC (a lot of folks came from here, actually). I remember a handful of folks that came from other corps, but it wasn't a whole lot.