What Did You Put Up With?

I think back to the long school bus rides...heck they didn't have AC, well yea we did (we opened the windows), bathrooms? LOL One time in Canada, we pulled over so all the girls could go out to this field and they all disappeared and then popped up one at a time. Food? Burger King, McDonalds and in 1975 and 76 they fed us...goulash. One time in London, Ontario the parents threw beer in the water because they didn't have enough.

Rehearsal facilities? LOL pot holes, more dirt than grass, another corps claimed it.

Sleep? bus floor, old school gym, juvenile detention home and cops chasing some kid who stole a car. Cockroaches, dead frogs, etc

Peeing out the back emergency door at 1 am on the way to Butler, PA from Marion, OH

Transistor radios, looking for music

Changing on those school buses or outside the bus.

Wouldn't trade any of it for anything!

Ha ha Keith, I know we marched together too many same experiences........To this day when I smell bus fumes it is total recall to Drum Corps days! I even joke about goulash for every meal. Also we slept in hockey rinks. Sleeping on the bus? I remember sleeping in the luggage racks (was much smaller then so could pull that one off) Good times, I agree wouldn't trade those experiences for the world!

We made Burger King and McDonalds what they are today.

1 to 4 buses pulling in the parking lot. I loved reading lips of the workers..." Oh SH%T!"

We had 3 corps show up at a McD's at once, ate them out of food, last people in line had very little to choose from.

We had 3 corps show up at a McD's at once, ate them out of food, last people in line had very little to choose from.

Hell....that was a McD's on the road from Ra-cha-cha to the Buffalo airport on the way home from DCA in 06...Dream arrives, the staff gets a little wild-eyed....then BUCS pull up and I think I saw a number of facial ticks from the staff. Took FOR-FREAKING-EVER to get food that night.

While at the 1971 VFW Nationals in Dallas, we housed at a Ramada Inn (aka: "The Ramma-Damma") with three other corps.

It was located on a divided highway with vehicles screaming by at a pre-gas crisis 75 MPH.

A small "mom & pop" convenience store abutted the Ramma-Damma parking lot. By Friday evening, they'd sold out of beer, slim jims and salty snacks. The owner was astounded because in 45 years of business, he'd never, ever sold out 100% out of every container of beer in his store.

While at the 1971 VFW Nationals in Dallas, we housed at a Ramada Inn (aka: "The Ramma-Damma") with three other corps.

It was located on a divided highway with vehicles screaming by at a pre-gas crisis 75 MPH.

A small "mom & pop" convenience store abutted the Ramma-Damma parking lot. By Friday evening, they'd sold out of beer, slim jims and salty snacks. The owner was astounded because in 45 years of business, he'd never, ever sold out 100% out of every container of beer in his store.

SHAME ON YOU!!!! Beer in a junior corps? I'm sooooo disappointed.

Yup...fast food all summer long, pretty much.

The reason you don't see "Welcome Drum Corps!" plastered all over the restaurant signs in host cities anymore is because the corps feed themselves! My Mom hated the fact that I junk all season...

SHAME ON YOU!!!! Beer in a junior corps? I'm sooooo disappointed.

It was the older kids in those other two corps at the Ramma-Damma ....:huh2:

(Besides, an ice-cold frosty can of Lone Star beer helped mitigate the effects of that August heat in Texas on us New England Yankees ... rehydration I think they call it.)

:lookaround:

• 1 month later...

I didn't read every post in this thread so I don't know if anyone mentioned this yet. If there was a drive-thru at either the BK Lounge or McyDees, 4 of us would go there, put our order and then proceed to the window. There was a piece of rubber that we had to jump on so that they would think there was a car there. We would even pull up with someone pretending to drive, 2 of us in front and 2 in back. The hilarious part of it was when we got to the pick up window the whole corps in line inside would see us at that window and some would freak, some were a tad envious, others thought "why didn't I think of that".

• Like 2

We were fed in my version of BITD.

- Breakfast every day: One styrofoam cup of cereal

- Lunch, provided only when rehearsing on the road, never when travelling: Two bread (wonder), one meat (bologna), one cheese (american processed cheese food product), possibly lettuce. No limit on mustard.

- Dinner: I guess we were deprived because the corps never fed us dinner.

Later on I moved to another corps, that had a food truck, and it was a miracle.

• Like 2

I didn't read every post in this thread so I don't know if anyone mentioned this yet. If there was a drive-thru at either the BK Lounge or McyDees, 4 of us would go there, put our order and then proceed to the window. There was a piece of rubber that we had to jump on so that they would think there was a car there. We would even pull up with someone pretending to drive, 2 of us in front and 2 in back. The hilarious part of it was when we got to the pick up window the whole corps in line inside would see us at that window and some would freak, some were a tad envious, others thought "why didn't I think of that".

You were always a buncha rascals...:tongue:

Edited by Navillus WP