How did you sleep?

Kind of curious about experiences trying to sleep on the gym floors, or in buses, what have you. I now realize that I was already having back problems, so I always lugged an air mattress with me. It wasn't very comfortable, but to me it was better than the floor. Since we had school buses, you could sleep on the floor pretty good or if you were skinny enough (which I was then!) in the luggage racks.

Kind of curious about experiences trying to sleep on the gym floors, or in buses, what have you. I now realize that I was already having back problems, so I always lugged an air mattress with me. It wasn't very comfortable, but to me it was better than the floor. Since we had school buses, you could sleep on the floor pretty good or if you were skinny enough (which I was then!) in the luggage racks.

Poorly. I had a roll up foam thing because of a bad lower back and hip problem from my early youth. I did survive though.

BITD I slept up in the luggage racks when traveling. Always has a a thick foam piece and a sleeping bag. Later I added an air mattress.

In the gym, sleeping back with a thick egg crate foam bad.

On the bus with VF, shared the seat with my girlfriend at the time. In the Dons, I was an age-out and was given a seat all to myself so was able to stretch out.

Thanks to drum corps, I can sleep in any condition now. Good times! :cool:

+1...I can sleep through thunderstorms, babies crying (despite my wife trying to cure me of this), Boy Scout campouts, on the floor in front of the TV/fireplace, you name it...

We didn't have luggage racks, so we had people sleeping on the seats, between the seats on the floor and down the center aisle -- certain parts of the floor (over the exhaust) would get rather warm and the vets knew not to take those seats...

Lol... In college band, there were some strange substances being used in the back of the bus and most of the drum line came under suspicion. Except for me. The band secretarys vouched that as soon as I got seated on the bus I fell asleep immediately and slept soundly the entire trip! I can't sleep in car for the life of me, but if I just sit on a bus I would fall asleep. :sleeping:

1963_oshkosh_1003-540x426.jpg

1963_oshkosh_1001-540x327.jpg

And now for the rest of the story:

Kiltie DM Carl Last was a seminarian, and on Sunday mornings he would round up all known baptized Catholics and herd them over to the nearest church.

The non-practicing Catholics had to find places to hide. The photos above show a couple of guys who billeted in a nearby city park.

Another baritone player just chose to sleep at the housing, up on the flat roof.

• 2 weeks later...

First night on tour, I could not imagine how I would ever sleep. That problem takes care of itself pretty quickly, as I ended up tired enough to sleep anywhere after a while. It got to the point where I couldn't stay awake very long once on the bus. They had TVs and a VCR on the bus and I saw the opening credits for a lot of movies, but not much else.

I had a few foam pads that I rolled up, with the shells, for travel.

The old BD busses with the raised roof section after the first 7 or so rows were my primary sleeping area. The busses featured raised seats with a canyon like channel running down the center of the floor. I slept on the floor in front of my seat with my head against at the side of the bus and my legs bent and hanging into the isle. It worked well for 3 years!