Buffalo Wing Championships

So if Crown can keep percussion to only a -1.0 spread with BD, they can tie? That really says something about their strength in the rest of the captions.

They've gotten a lot of reads recently putting them about 1.0 back in drums so that doesn't seem completely impossible. Their best chance at a tight spread is if SCV and/or Cadets can beat BD in drums...

Date       City             Judge        Spread to BD
2013-07-26 Murfreesboro, TN G. Fugett    -1.1
2013-07-27 Charlotte, NC    D. Bryan     -1.0
2013-07-28 Atlanta, GA	    C. Rothe     -0.8
2013-08-03 Allentown PA	    J. Prosperie -0.9
2013-08-04 Allentown, PA    M. Griffin   -1.0
2013-08-05 Buffalo, NY	    G. Howarth   -1.0

• Like 1

As much of an "off year" as PR's brass is having, they sure as heck aren't THAT bad. I saw both corps this weekend, they aren't even in the same ballpark in brass.

Cavaliers are marching and playing a harder program in my mind, and they've probably improved more this year in brass than any other corps, if the early season improvement I saw was indication, so I'll just add that without giving my blessing one way or the other.

I'd talk about Phantom's typically iffy and often atrocious tone qualities, but then I remembered we were talking about the Cavaliers here as well... So... :shutup:/>

As much of an "off year" as PR's brass is having, they sure as heck aren't THAT bad. I saw both corps this weekend, they aren't even in the same ballpark in brass.

I think I read something in this topic about Phantom's trumpet soloist screwing up big time. Maybe that played into the very low brass score?

I think I read something in this topic about Phantom's trumpet soloist screwing up big time. Maybe that played into the very low brass score?

A bad solo should not affect a brass score if a judge is acting in good faith... But at the same time, having a bad taste in your mouth from that can make you cynical about the group as a whole.

A bad solo should not affect a brass score if a judge is acting in good faith... But at the same time, having a bad taste in your mouth from that can make you cynical about the group as a whole.

Yeah that's exactly what I meant by the bad solo playing into the low brass score. Not a direct result of the solo but a side effect if that makes sense.

Yeah that's exactly what I meant by the bad solo playing into the low brass score. Not a direct result of the solo but a side effect if that makes sense.

If a bad solo leads to your group being judged more poorly because it made the judge more aware of the group as a whole, then I don't really feel the group doesn't deserve the lower score for not inserting strength in the rest of the show to dispel that concern. Of course, this is just a perfect world scenario