Why only 5 mini corps this year?

For all of the fluctuation in attendance, there are still fans of both venues that come to DCA for just that! Rather than rent bleachers, DCA would be better off moving the venue to a school gym. A basketball court is within the 30 yard x 20 yard guidelines set up by SoundSport, and would be consistent whether the show was in Rochester or Harrisburg, or Atlanta, or anywhere else. It would also be a whole lot cheaper than the Riverside Convention Center.

Mike Covell,

Ghost Riders

Schools cost. You'd have to charge admission. Remember DCA weekend is about making money for the corps

They pay them now? Was not the case back when this whole thing was initiated.

They don't make much and generally work fit DCA the rest of the weekend

I'm sure any venue will cost. I'm sure the Riverside costs. I'll also say that, for me personally, the mini corps has never performed in a better venue than that stage at the Riverside. But if you're going to set up the mini corps event more along the lines of SoundSport then it needs to be on a larger surface with the audience able to watch from stadium seating of some kind.

Mike Covell,

Ghost Riders

I'm sure any venue will cost. I'm sure the Riverside costs. I'll also say that, for me personally, the mini corps has never performed in a better venue than that stage at the Riverside. But if you're going to set up the mini corps event more along the lines of SoundSport then it needs to be on a larger surface with the audience able to watch from stadium seating of some kind.

Mike Covell,

Ghost Riders

Minicorps 2005... Outside in Lackawanna County Stadium. Sound rang in that place. Loved the venue.

• Like 1

If the outdoor venue was the same as it was in 1992 when this whole thing started, that was a rockin' experience I'll always remember. Doing it with Bob Zazzara, Sr. made it even better.

About the only person who didn't have a good time was my ex-fiance because I was there, I think....

Minicorps 2005... Outside in Lackawanna County Stadium. Sound rang in that place. Loved the venue.

I agree.

The only downside to a venue like that... weather. Thankfully it was a nice night in '05, but rain would have really sucked.

If the outdoor venue was the same as it was in 1992 when this whole thing started, that was a rockin' experience I'll always remember. Doing it with Bob Zazzara, Sr. made it even better.

About the only person who didn't have a good time was my ex-fiance because I was there, I think....

In the early '90s, the event was at the Montage Mountain ski resort. In '05 the I&E/mini-corps events were at the stadium where the prelims and finals were held.

I hear ya about that mini-corps venue in the early 90s.... the concert amphitheater there was a great spot.

Much to remember-

Packed with people who were into the performances.

Smaller quartets/quintets/septets that all played at professional levels and were really exciting.

Sun's proto-mini that was really good...

Then on come the T-Birds playing a DCA's greatest Hits program and a field full of people going absolutely berserk and Bob Z's smile... priceless.

Obviously something I'll always have in my heart. :satisfied:

• Like 1