Why only 5 mini corps this year?

Wasn't it proposed just last year on these forums that Buccaneers ought to be forced to go exhibition-only for a year and give other corps a chance?

And then C2 stepped in this year and saved the Bucs from becoming an exhibition corps!!! :lol:

• Like 1

they could add a phone voting app. that give you the crowd vote for this. the city karaoke league uses this. and its awesome. you vote from 1-5 on each performer. it takes and average. and gives you a best in show.

There was a text-to-vote "fan favorite" award in 2014 and 2015 at the mini-corps venue.... Freelancers won the fan vote in '14, Bridgemen in '15.

It wasn't done this year.

This is what I'm trying to mount a movement to fix. I'm only one person, but I'm trying, lol.

In the sense of a competition, it's unlikely Star United is going to be beaten anytime soon, so the question is, how do you still have a minicorps portion to the event that rewards in some way, shape or form. Technically, if the powers that be wanted to, they could say that Star would have to perform in exhibition since they've won so many years in a row, to give someone else a chance to take the top spot. It's not the greatest idea, but it's an idea.

But you hit the nail on the head about the fan base shifting. The older fans/members are hanging it up, not going, whatever anymore. Corps are dying off because those older members don't want to hand the corps over to a younger group, they just want it to end on their watch and have the good ole days. Sean and crew in Erie had this struggle, obviously they were able to work out something because here they are, with Thunderbirds reborn and competing (this is why I say it isn't impossible). I know the struggle is there though and to basically have the infrastructure of an existing corps in place would help immensely, but you again run into that problem of "we went out with our best and that's the way it's going to be." and that's fine, but work with a new set of "owners" who want to make their own legacy: Work it out to change the name of the corps, new identity so that those leaving the activity have their glory and those coming in have their future glory to look toward.

Maybe something that could be done is some sort of DCA initiative that for up and coming minicorps that have an endgame to wind up on the field, that there be an award that helps a corps make that transition from minicorps to Class A or something and instead of medals, there's something done with Class A membership or whatnot to help that transition. Would that work? I dunno, but it's an idea.

It's called SoundSport. It's already launched a few corps

It's called SoundSport. It's already launched a few corps

I like the idea of having both Sound Sport in DCI and a Mini Corps competition in DCA; they serve somewhat different purposes. I'm not sure this year's low participation in the latter activity can be said to be definitively indicative of anything. There were only four mini corps in 2013, but in 2014, there were eleven.

I like the idea of having both Sound Sport in DCI and a Mini Corps competition in DCA; they serve somewhat different purposes. I'm not sure this year's low participation in the latter activity can be said to be definitively indicative of anything. There were only four mini corps in 2013, but in 2014, there were eleven.

DCA Mini-Corps rules should change so the event lines up with SoundSport. You do that, you'll get more groups.

Edited by Kamarag

DCA Mini-Corps rules should change so the event lines up with SoundSport. You do that, you'll get more groups.

makes sense to me

There was a text-to-vote "fan favorite" award in 2014 and 2015 at the mini-corps venue.... Freelancers won the fan vote in '14, Bridgemen in '15.

It wasn't done this year.

BAH! there's lost audience connection, which will turn into lost revenue.

make a real app or website viewable on a phone. get the audience involved. people remember that sort of stuff.

change the rules to more align with SoundSport... (though between you and me, the good ol types will hate seeing saxes and trombones on the stage) But then those groups have another show to add to their schedule and DCA might gain a few more fans out of it.

Yep. An app with one-phone-one-vote and a way to place everyone in your order of preference. I'm also all for the alignment with the SoundSport rules (even if I am one of the "good ol' types"), but now you're asking DCA to put a lot more effort into the venue than they have been inclined to in the past.

Mike Covell,

Ghost Riders

Yep. An app with one-phone-one-vote and a way to place everyone in your order of preference. I'm also all for the alignment with the SoundSport rules (even if I am one of the "good ol' types"), but now you're asking DCA to put a lot more effort into the venue than they have been inclined to in the past.

Mike Covell,

Ghost Riders

they'd need to rent bleachers or something for it. I still think that if you did either alumni spectacular or the mini corps as a festival with food trucks and beer you'd have a sweet event that would really entice people.

put up some banners. make it look like you really care and want these groups to foster.

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 1

For all of the fluctuation in attendance, there are still fans of both venues that come to DCA for just that! Rather than rent bleachers, DCA would be better off moving the venue to a school gym. A basketball court is within the 30 yard x 20 yard guidelines set up by SoundSport, and would be consistent whether the show was in Rochester or Harrisburg, or Atlanta, or anywhere else. It would also be a whole lot cheaper than the Riverside Convention Center.

Mike Covell,

Ghost Riders