Spirit of Atlanta 2017

Yeah I think I saw the same video. Hornline and drum line really had a great sound. Bass drums really sounded good. I don't think I would go home humming any of the selections......very technical. 

Edited by KennyB
Punctuation

3 hours ago, KennyB said:

Yeah I think I saw the same video. Hornline and drum line really had a great sound. Bass drums really sounded good. I don't think I would go home humming any of the selections......very technical. 

On the contrary. Hummin and whistlin all of it in the shower this morning.   TMI?   Probably!

Just watched the preview show on YouTube. Really impressive. Should be a great year for Spirit.

I think what impresses me the most is that despite the last few years of blunders and lack of direction, the corps is still able to recruit a LOT of talent. They sound absolutely terrific already, and that's no slouch of a music book. 

To me, this seems by far their most complete package and successful design since their "fall" in 2014. It's SUPER hummable, quite engaging, and written with outstanding flow & direction. Plenty of meat is offered up in the Mackey piece, plenty of beauty in the Vienna Teng song. Just plain cool arrangement of Shokufan in the closer. The show just works, and keeps you watching. I know the guard was the weak spot in 2015; and while they improved greatly last year, this show looks to have the guard writing to match that improvement a bit more. I know last year was just sort of a "keep our heads above water financially and field a corps" year (if I'm remembering that right); this year's show seems to be shaping up to be a 360 degree turnaround in terms of a competitive product that, to my mind, should have the bones and the talent to hang with Troop & Colts (as well as Mandarins, who preliminarily seem to be moving up into that tier). 

Great job, Spirit. I'm super impressed with what I see so far.

• Like 2

I do know this...there is a very positive vibe across the entire organization, alumni support is an all time high, and things are run and handled in an extremely first class manner...and they ain't done yet. 

• Like 3

I love the way the uniform looks.  

Most fun I've had listening to a SOA show in awhile, and from this angle it's hard to get a read but looks like there are some cool moments in the drill.  

That closer is just straight up awesome.  Seems like a great rebound show for them!  

• Like 4

I decided to go to the preview on Saturday, even with the threat of rain.  I'm glad I did.  U of West Ga is not far from my house and the rain held off.  I'm not an alum but I did buy a Delta t-shirt and a couple bottles of water to show a little support.

My observations only - no direct inside info from members/management.

The bass drummers are playing some great splits!  I really like the uniforms.   The SOA identity Delta is clear.  I think it is a classy looking balance of old and new in spandex. 

I think this show is a great vehicle for them to be relevant and attractive to current and future members, and that it will be both challenging and achievable.  They were successful last year in fostering a family atmosphere that helped retain vets this year.  Each year they can do this increases the maturity level of the membership.

I see them being in a prime spot to begin a climb.  They'll have to work through making edits, and lots of cleaning.

Go Spirit!  You can do this!

• Like 4