Drum Corps as an example of Meaner Society?

On 1/4/2018 at 3:56 PM, mingusmonk said:

You copied a picture from a dark rehearsal with no costume (you know, the corps-proper in almost entirely white) . I passed on it when you replied. But I was just going through a new album of Gareth Skipp's photos at Finals and I wasn't exactly getting "dark" from these. Or lacking joy. So I thought I would share...

For the record, I saw the Coats many times last summer and recognized all that the show was (and wasn't). What's undeniable in this context (a complaint about the 2017 drum corps summer's sinister-seeming themes) is the single most obvious design element that Canton put on the find was a huge dark slash that severed the field. Whatever else the design was, there was a giant, jagged structure in black. The music and the moves were what they were. That enormous shadow was too.

And before you accuse me of missing the Bluecoats' point, don't bother. I got it. I got the show. I also got it that there was more than plenty of darkness to go around in DCI last summer, enormous black slashes included.

HH