DCI running DCA?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've gotten into quite a bit of trouble by posing the original question..  DCI is running a DCA show?  Why?

That question hasn't been answered yet.. but I've been pretty much a reject for asking..

And I must say.. those that portray themselves as having DCA in their best interests?  My little question shouldn't have bothered THEM in the least.. 

Sharon

Sharon,

Not sure if you caught my response to your post eariler in the thread? I offered a few thoughts as possible answers to your question.

many people have. I really dont see an issue here. DCA has been losing shows in recent years...and just lost Hershey. anyone offering to run a DCA show in the NE is a good thing, cause the rest of the country is slowly but surely catching up

I don't have a real objection to whomever runs a show. If anyone from DCI is willing to take the burden off of DCA in any way.. that isn't for me to say anything about.

I can only say what I think about this sort of thing. I'm not an expert.. I just am trying to convey that there SHOULD be a difference between the two circuits.

Maybe I was lucky.. I got to experience a top twelve finish in DCI AND got to finish in the top ten of DCA.

I found a profound difference between the two circuits.. that I wouldn't trade for the world.

I believe that all of my junior corps experience prepared me FOR DCA.

I understand that mixing the ages of participants are what will be DCA's salvation.. but I will regret every moment that a 17 year old didn't participate in his or her junior corps of choice. And I regret each 30 year old that will be pushed out of DCA. And I'm glad that I participated in DCI when I was supposed to.. and became a fan of and participant of DCA when I was supposed to. AT THE APPROPRIATE AGE.

This blending thing.. just doesn't seem to be the right thing. IMHO.

Sharon

Sharon, I really dont feel DCI is out to take over DCA. first off, legally they cant...it would violate their charter as a youth activity.

Second of all, having been to DCA meetings, some DCi directors couldnt handle the bluntness of some DCA folks. If they think they get it bad on here, wait'll a DCA leader w/30 some years of experience running a corps went off on em :P

Sharon, I really dont feel DCI is out to take over DCA. first off, legally they cant...it would violate their charter as a youth activity.

Second of all, having been to DCA meetings, some DCi directors couldnt handle the bluntness of some DCA folks. If they think they get it bad on here, wait'll a DCA leader w/30 some years of experience running a corps went off on em :P

Never been to a DCA meeting.. :)

Never been to a DCI meeting either!! :)

####.. I quit my alumni!!!

Too much politics..

I was never one for politics..

Sharon

I understand that mixing the ages of participants are what will be DCA's salvation.. but I will regret every moment that a 17 year old didn't participate in his or her junior corps of choice.  And I regret each 30 year old that will be pushed out of DCA.  And I'm glad that I participated in DCI when I was supposed to.. and became a fan of and participant of DCA when I was supposed to.  AT THE APPROPRIATE AGE.

This blending thing.. just doesn't seem to be the right thing.  IMHO.

Sharon

Sharon ~

what you are missing is that some kids would never be able to march a DCI corps and if DCA wasn't open to all age groups then they probably could miss out marching in any form of competitive drum corps for years, and quite possibly give up on the whole idea entirely. there are kids out there that have to work, can't take the summers off to tour with a DCI corps, and if they did they wouldn't be going to college. every parent in the world wishes that they could fully afford 100% of their child's college tuition, but the reality is that not every parent can afford it. even with the lighter schedule of the Division II/III corps, taking a couple of weeks off for the final tour that leads up to DCI could be enough that a kid might not get a job for the summer as alot of bosses out there aren't very flexible with time off for their younger employees. it is great that there are kids out there that don't have to work for the summer and can take the whole summer to tour, but the reality is that that doesn't go for everyone. DCA corps make it possible for a kid like that to march still.

AND for others, without the learning experience that they get from marching in a DCA corps might never make a DCI corps. with so few division II/III corps around (and folding rapidly) there aren't too many places where kids can go to learn anymore. some marching bands are great learning experiences where kids can manage to learn all they need in order to make a DCI corps, but others aren't.

you may disagree with my assessment that DCA fills a void for many kids and that is fine. but you disagreeing with me won't change my opinion, just as much as i do not expect mine to change yours. :)

Sharon ~

what you are missing is that some kids would never be able to march a DCI corps and if DCA wasn't open to all age groups then they probably could miss out marching in any form of competitive drum corps for years, and quite possibly give up on the whole idea entirely.  there are kids out there that have to work, can't take the summers off to tour with a DCI corps, and if they did they wouldn't be going to college.  every parent in the world wishes that they could fully afford 100% of their child's college tuition, but the reality is that not every parent can afford it.  even with the lighter schedule of the Division II/III corps, taking a couple of weeks off for the final tour that leads up to DCI could be enough that a kid might not get a job for the summer as alot of bosses out there aren't very flexible with time off for their younger employees.  it is great that there are kids out there that don't have to work for the summer and can take the whole summer to tour, but the reality is that that doesn't go for everyone.  DCA corps make it possible for a kid like that to march still. 

AND for others, without the learning experience that they get from marching in a DCA corps might never make a DCI corps.  with so few division II/III corps around (and folding rapidly) there aren't too many places where kids can go to learn anymore.  some marching bands are great learning experiences where kids can manage to learn all they need in order to make a DCI corps, but others aren't. 

you may disagree with my assessment that DCA fills a void for many kids and that is fine.  but you disagreeing with me won't change my opinion, just as much as i do not expect mine to change yours.  :)

Excellent response, Liz. I agree 100%.

many people have. I really dont see an issue here. DCA has been losing shows in recent years...and just lost Hershey. anyone offering to run a DCA show in the NE is a good thing, cause the rest of the country is slowly but surely catching up

Yes, there have been shows lost.....but at the same time there have been shows gained....yes, there are fewer in the traditional area of the northeast, but now there's shows in GA, NC, FL, MN..where before this century no one in DCA would have thought possible.

DCA Sanctioned shows (not including the championships)

1999 19

2000 16

2001 18

2002 18

2003 20

2004 19

2005 19

yes Frank, it is growing in other areas, but that had nothing to do w/Sharons original thoughts. she was concerned about DCI running a DCA show here in the NE.