DCI running DCA?

Agree.......

I've been attending DCA finals since 1999, as a spectator and participant. Coming all the way from California, I won't miss it again, so dont misunderstand. I see DCA as kind of like the old AFL, different league, different rules but still playing the game and putting butts in the seats.

DCI and DCA can live together providing it share in the revenue. This is the one area where DCI can hurt DCA.....

I'm just tossing up a caution flag, I've seen what DCI can do to the other circuits and associations.

Muz :)

And we agree again... :) DCA has to keep it's own identity but keep it's eyes on the future. Too bad my post only looked in the past (#### good thing I'm not running DCA).

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

look, DCI has enough issues right now, and, IMO, they would actually lose by adding DCA.

why?

People building empires do not always make rational decisions.

DCI brass has stated that they want DCI to be "the" brand in drum corps. DCA under it's own control is competition to that brand-image. If the competition get's too strong it is sometimes easier to absorb it than to compete.

All pure speculation on my part. But I think by now we have learned to never say "never". See exhibit A labled "amps" for more details.

DCI has at least four times at their championships alone as many spectators as DCA.  We don't even want to start on the individual show venues and regionals. 

DCI is held in a football stadium.  For some reason, DCA can only find baseball fields to hold their championships at.  At least since '99 when it was held at  J.Birney Crum stadium in Allentown.

I don't like watching drum corps at baseball fields.  Count me out.

Hey muzzicman, why aren't you in So. Mil?  I thought RA was performing there tonight?

Awh shucks Judy.....So.Mil is only a standstill....not worth the $475.00 roundtrip for that... :worthy:

4X attendance is an exaggeration too babes, DCI only averages around 15k-20k, but they do charge 2X more for tickets....lol

Muz.... B)

and the baseball thingy?.....I like the beers and dogs between corps....:blink:...

Awh shucks Judy.....So.Mil is only a standstill....not worth the $475.00 roundtrip for that... :blink:

4X attendance is an exaggeration  too babes, DCI only averages around 15k-20k, but they do charge 2X more for tickets....lol

Muz.... B)

and the baseball thingy?.....I like the beers and dogs between corps....:huh:...

I guess you weren't at Denver last year. I was.

And I expect Boston will be a large audience too.

I don't know the exact attendance numbers for either championships.

It was just a guess, "babe". :worthy:

True.  But charters can be changed yes? 

In addition adding a DCA class of competition to DCI might alleviate some of the increase-the-age-limit suggestions that crop up.  Most of the members of a top-12 DCI corps are not exactly "youths" at ages 20 and 21 and most of the members of the top DCA corps are barely over 30.  This is based on my observations so the data is not exactly scientific and I will admit that.  But the line between the two ages is not exactly razor-sharp. 

Never say never.

:worthy:

I'd definitely say never. I am pretty sure that DCI is not at all interested in getting into the "senior/all-age/alumni" corps business.

In fact, I think they have the attitude that "they aren't going away" so they have to follow our rules when they are invited to perform in DCI's shows.

I guess you weren't at Denver last year.  I was.

And I expect Boston will be a large audience too. 

I don't know the exact attendance numbers for either championships. 

It was just a guess, "babe".  :worthy:

DCA has been until recently pretty mucha northeast circuit. in time, as it continues to grow nationwide, who knows what could happen. DCI hasbeen national since day 1, and as such draws a bigger base.

DCA has been until recently pretty mucha  northeast circuit. in time, as it continues to grow nationwide, who knows what could happen. DCI hasbeen national since day 1, and as such draws a bigger base.

Okay.. From the consensus I've been reading.. DCI has no interest, desire or capability to absorb DCA.

AND.. that wouldn't it be GREAT for DCI to DO just that!!

AND.. Sharon.. you've been told time and again that (some) kids can't march unless they march in DCA and isn't that just wonderful?

I will reiterate my orginal thoughts...

DCI can (and if given the opportunity) absorb DCA.

NO! IMHO, I think it would be disastrous for drum and bugle corps to become one circuit. And I also think that advertising DCA as "All Ages" does that very thing.

And I never once targeted someone that marched in DCA as a fifteen year old. I started marching in DCA at age 19 for petes sake.

But since I'm usually in the minority.. I'm assuming that nothing that I write is agreed with.. en masse.

I was one of the lucky few that got to experience each circuit as I made my through drum and bugle corps.

Hey.. if drum and bugle corps becomes an all encompassing genre? I'll probably #####.. but I also know that (as I'm told..ALL the time) that change is good. I don't know for WHOM..

Where is that amp petition web site again?? :worthy:

Sharon

Okay.. From the consensus I've been reading.. DCI has no interest, desire or capability to absorb DCA.

Personally, I can't see any reason why DCI would want to take in additional headaches of running a senior/all-age circuit on top of everything they deal with on the junior level.

AND.. that wouldn't it be GREAT for DCI to DO just that!!

I'm gonna have to re-read the thread. I didn't get a consensus feeling along these lines.

AND.. Sharon.. you've been told time and again that (some) kids can't march unless they march in DCA and isn't that just wonderful?

Not sure whether you're saying this is a good or bad thing...

I will reiterate my orginal thoughts...

DCI can (and if given the opportunity) absorb DCA.

That's assuming:

1. DCI amends it's charter

2. DCA corps abandon DCA for DCI

3. There are no other performance options for DCA corps outside of DCI

4. DCI is willing to take on the extra burden of administrating the senior corps activity

I'm willing to bet that, if you asked a DCI board member if they wanted to absorb DCA, they would give you a suprised look and say, "Why on earth would we want to do THAT???" DCI's got enough on it's plate right now with junior corps.

NO!  IMHO, I think it would be disastrous for drum and bugle corps to become one circuit.  And I also think that advertising DCA as "All Ages" does that very thing.

I agree that a single drum corps circuit isn't a good thing. Not sure about the terminology change to "all-age" corps. Have to admit, though, that I just call it senior corps regardless.

And I never once targeted someone that marched in DCA as a fifteen year old.  I started marching in DCA at age 19 for petes sake.

Times certainly have changed. I will say that, speaking from personal experience, having marched in a senior corps that also had 15 year olds (and younger) as members, I had the unique and humbling experience of being a role model and mentor. I just hope I didn't screw those kids up! :D

But since I'm usually in the minority.. I'm assuming that nothing that I write is agreed with.. en masse.

Think of it as having a unique viewpoint on issues such as these. Besides, so what if you're in the minority? It's more fun than having everybody agree with you. :D

I was one of the lucky few that got to experience each circuit as I made my through drum and bugle corps.

Well, if you put together all of my family's drum corps experience, then we MIGHT be able to say the same, which means that it took three generations for my family to do what you yourself have already done.

I'm jealous.

Hey.. if drum and bugle corps becomes an all encompassing genre?  I'll probably #####.. but I also know that (as I'm told..ALL the time) that change is good.  I don't know for WHOM..

Well, I just changed cell phone companies, so I guess SOME change is good...

Seriously, though, I do have to say that anybody who uses the "change is good" line or the "you can't stop change" defense really isn't defending their position. Not all change is good and not all changes are unstoppable. Or irreversable, for that matter.

Where is that amp petition web site again??  :worthy:

Sharon

Right here.