Judges Anti-Phantom?

Obviously, the judges aren't litteraly anti-regiment, but it sure seems like it.  Best show they've had in years but are still being put in the average position that they've been in for the past several years, 5.

There is no way that any other hornline in DCI can touch PR this year except the cleanliness of the Cavies.  Cadets .2 over PR? Yea right.

I think the judges also need to appreciate how truely musical PR's show is.  Two pieces that are the cornerstones of American music Raphsody and American in Paris.  And crap like Kill Bill and Dance Derby are being placed ahead of it? 

I'm sick and tired of these musically insufficient shows being scored highed than true quality.  What do you guys think?

A couple of things...

1. Difficulty, while factored into the performance and GE scores, is not a caption unto itself.

2. I thought the performance at San Antonio by Regiment's hornline was not without flaws. A 3rd place finish is fine with me. I hope that they can kick it up a notch and do better at Finals, but for now...it's my opinion that they are being scored where they should.

3. My biggest concern if I were you would not be music-related, but visual related...particularly GE Visual. Regiment had been holding their own against several of the corps that suddenly outscored them in that caption last night.

4. Ensemble music also encompasses the percussion...it is not necessarily how well the brass did and how well the percussion did...it is how well they did together. Perhaps the judges heard a few things not altogether right.

All in all, Regiment is in 5th place by 8 tenths. They are within 4 points of the leader. Last year around this time, they were in 5th place, THREE POINTS behind 4th place, and five points from the leader. Obviously, Regiment is doing better this year....but there happen to be four corps doing better right now, and one corps nipping at their heels.

Don't get so caught up in their music scores, things will shake out the way they should. And for the gentleman who said that Regiment has had overrated hornlines the last few years...well sir....hmm....nah, I better just stick to the old "you're entitled to your opinion" bit. But it's certainly not shared by all that many.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll believe it when PR:

1. Writes more competetive drill.

2. Writes and executes better guard work.

3. Writes a competetive drum book.

One of the things that catapulted the 1996 show to the top was the inclusion of the three factors I mentioned above.  While I love PR's show, I don't see the building blocks of a Championship show.  Top Brass?  Maybe, but nothing else.

I have not seen this year's show, but...I was under the impression that this year's drill was significantly better than it has been? And that the guard was also significantly better? I'm just a dumb brass player...I wouldn't know if the guard wrote and executed better guard work...that's just not my arena.

As for the drum book itself, I have heard many compliments about it being competitive, but I'll have to defer to you because I am not a percussionist either. And I haven't seen the show live.

The judges aren't anti-Regiment. The placements they've been getting in recent years are accurate, IMO. Their problem is the visual program. It simply isn't as challenging as the "Big 3." If Phantom can implement an ungodly visual package and maintain their trademark sound, they'll be #1 in no time. Until then, they'll languish in that 5 spot. You can't win on brass alone, even if your hornline is as talented as the Phantom Regiment.

Edited by dciguy01

hm.

anti-regiment? never heard that.

the fact that Regiment is doing the same thing that it always does is obvious... blowin people away in Brass. it also would seem that they are beggining to turn it up in Percussion to. EVEN there Guard is doing MUCH better than last year.

BUT, as always, Phantom is being drug down by GE.

eh, oh well. they still have time to make a move into the top 4, 3 even.

there brass score proves judges aren't anti-phantom.

~>conner

3.  My biggest concern if I were you would not be music-related, but visual related...particularly GE Visual.  Regiment had been holding their own against several of the corps that suddenly outscored them in that caption last night.

What he said.

Well, the orginal poster seemed more upset that their brass scores were not at the top. I can see why they are in 5th right now, but that may change. As for their horn line, all I can say is that since 2001 I have been blown away by their sound, blend, intonation, ability to handle styles, to play with dynamics, to shape phrases, and to put out some of the best power vs. quality of sound that you will hear in the activity. They should have won high brass in 2003, just as I thought the Cadets should have won high brass in 2001. But hey, things often turn out differently than we see it. But I can easily see Phantom winning high brass this year. They have the line, but the Cadets and Cavaliers have great brass lines too, so it will be a dog fight. And let's not forget the Blue Devils currently in 6th in brass. I would not expect that to hold come finals.

But there is NO anti-Phantom judging. I believe the judges call it the way they see it that night. Not based on previous scores, but based on what each corps does that night.

Jonathan

BUT, as always, Phantom is being drug down by GE.

A lot of people on this board seem to put great emphasis on consistency in GE judging. Why is that? GE is the most subjective thing on the judging recaps.

Regiment was right near Cadets in GE Visual just a few nights ago, weren't they? Maybe the GE judging was off last night? It's an opinion, after all...judges aren't infallible.

Visually, Regiment is much better this year...I'm hoping that they continue to do what they're doing, because it looks like it's working. If the judges think so, then cool. If not, then the score is what it is.

Obviously, the judges aren't litteraly anti-regiment, but it sure seems like it.  Best show they've had in years but are still being put in the average position that they've been in for the past several years, 5.

There is no way that any other hornline in DCI can touch PR this year except the cleanliness of the Cavies.  Cadets .2 over PR? Yea right.

I think the judges also need to appreciate how truely musical PR's show is.  Two pieces that are the cornerstones of American music Raphsody and American in Paris.  And crap like Kill Bill and Dance Derby are being placed ahead of it? 

I'm sick and tired of these musically insufficient shows being scored highed than true quality.  What do you guys think?

Im not a huge fan of Cadets show this year, but, I have to admit that their hornline is playing the best they have in years, and playing some pretty difficult stuff, and I don't know if you have looked, but PR beat BD in brass, taking third in the show. Oh, and saying shows are crap is just baout the easiest way to get a thread going.