Livewire Q&A With George Hopkins

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is true because, instrumentally speaking, drum corps is a subset of marching band in that it uses brass and precussion instruments and not woodwinds...

...at least not yet.

Look, <innapropriate comment removed - GJ>,

drum corps is NOT a marching band.

Talk is cheap and full of fluff without evidence backing without analysis on opinions. :)

If you think so, I want you to write that on your application for top 12 drum corps.

But that contradicts your original statement that it's about competition. If one of the world best players and marchers applies for a corps and said that, the staff would rather have him join to increase quality than to send him away because of a sentence.

But drum corps should not have to teach members HOW TO TEACH. And how to be a REALLY GREAT BAND DIRECTOR.

Those things have nothing to do with drum corps.

Well I don't know... Maybe that person might want to be a CORPS director. It's impossible to avoid teaching someone for 3 months plus on tour. The brain is a sponge, continually absorbing knowledge. How paradoxal is, "Okay... let's clean this set but don't learn anything..." That person you say that to will probably learn HOW to CLEAN a set, transitively bringing that to his job as a director, tech, teacher etc...

No it's just backing up opinions.

If I say, "Debussy Sucks!"

all people are going to respond is... so what???

Dahhhhhhhhhhhh??? I... think education comes with the competition. Well you definitely need to educate in order to compete at a higher level. That's why the shows get cleaner and is directly varied to their scores.

Educate in what way? I don't get a chance to see many Junior corps over the season but I notice more complexity in the show than cleaner over the years. And if you mean the shows get cleaner over the course of a single season that comes more from repetition and clean up work than anything else. And that's one thing in DC that hasn't changed over the decades.

And DrumCorpsFan27 knock off that "subset of.." stuff. I'm having flashbacks to my Math classes :sshh:

And DrumCorpsFan27 knock off that "subset of.." stuff. I'm having flashbacks to my Math classes :sshh:

I'm going to draw you a Venn Diagram! :worthy::worthy::worthy:

I'm going to draw you a Venn Diagram! :worthy::worthy::worthy:

The band I teach has, in one spot of the show, a large diagonal that has to rotate 16 counts and move about a 1/4-circle....

I was explaining to the band how far the last young lady has to march as opposed to those near the center point...I started talking geometry.... 2 * pi * r....

:P

Mike

Keep hearing one of my HS math teachers who would talk in a monotone and hold the last syllable to show something was important. "... now Pi R Sqaaarrrreeedd" :worthy:

And if there was an exception to the theorum "...Howeverrrrrrrrrrrrrr". (Even the yearbook noted that word.)

Gad and I just had my 30th Class Reunion.