I don't love any of this year's shows

So, I'm sorry to be a stick in the mud, but I have a problem. I don't love any of this year's shows. I've watched what's available on the Fan Network and, frankly, I'm disappointed. Is there something wrong with me or something wrong with DCI?

The best show of the bunch is Phantom, but even that feels . . . different. With the exception of SCV, it seems like everyone is taking a turn toward Weird Town, where BD Is the mayor. This is a town where everyone must have obtrusive props and electronics of you're penalized. This is not to say the members aren't putting forth a great effort and executing well, but it's more a reflection of the designers and the "adults in the room." What in the world is happening?

The music selection/arrangement is perhaps the biggest disappointment for me. Sure, there are some great moments, but the overall entertainment value is suffering. I feel like I"m hearing and watching a modern dance ensemble rather than drum corps. I really, really help this is just a passing fad because, if not, I don't know how much longer I can stick around.

Please help.

/rant over.

:guinesssmilie:

• Like 3

guinesssmilie.gif

Nope. But your show (and others your year) is what got me into drum corps.

Probably just you, but most likely because you watched the Fan Network.

I dunno what it was, but I've watched several shows "illegally" on the Youtube and I've thought some of the shows are marvelous. I watched The Fan Network the other night (Many of the same shows) and was sorta MEH! about them.

I think this is an activity you have to experience LIVE to appreciate, and any sort of Tubing or Networking, or Movie theatering isn't going to change that.

• Like 4

Nope. But your show (and others your year) is what got me into drum corps.

Understood. Glad I could be one of the people who got you into drum corps. Hopefully they don't lose you. :smile:

Understood. Glad I could be one of the people who got you into drum corps. Hopefully they don't lose you. :smile:/>

Cadets 2000....still listed on my profile as my favorite show ever. I remember being in Duncan SC in June at a show and just shaking my head at what I had just seen.

Cadets 2000....still listed on my profile as my favorite show ever. I remember being in Duncan SC in June at a show and just shaking my head at what I had just seen.

Lol I remember that show. I almost fell.

There are some shows that haven't been on Fan Network yet. Give it time. And it's early, and the rewrite season is just around the corner. Also, you could always make sure to support those corps who are not throwing the kitchen sink on the field. :biggrin:

• Like 1

It's impossible for you to have seen all these shows live. Yet you are comparing shows you've seen live and have gotten you interested in drum corps to unfinished products you've only seen videos of in June. How about give it a month or two and then decide if you love the shows.

If you hate shows with props, that's fine there are plenty without. If you hate shows just because it has electronics then I'm sorry you're out of luck those aren't going.

You admit that SCV and Phantom are more to you're liking so you DO have something you like. If there's something fans need to know about drum corps nowadays is that you simply will not enjoy every show equally but hopefully you love a couple a lot and appreciate the others for what they are.

• Like 2