Future of the Cadets

why do you always have to run down other corps to make your point?

Unlike you..who spends post after post running down everything about the Cadets...the admin, the staff, and even the members.

Yep, must be those Cadets glasses you are wearing, the same ones that make you think this is an acceptable or even good idea for a drum corps show

Why must it be "Cadet glasses" to like their show? Happens I like it too...as I did 05. Those are the only Cadet shows of this century that made my own top favorites list, though parts of other shows were great.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can independently verify euphonitone's assertions regarding this year's Cadets return rate are accurate as my son is an 8 year Cadets veteran (2000-2007) and the 2007 Cadets horn sargeant. He and I have discussed the corps membership's make-up on multiple occassions over the past few months. I realize that my verification will not carry any weight with Mr. cowtown, et.al. since I will obviously be counted among the mythical "borg", but for those who may know me, the truth will ring loud and clear.

On another note, my son will be amused to learn that he is now apparently personally responsible for the "destruction of drum corps" (as defined by certain individuals) because he has chosen to remain a Cadet for 8 years. :doh::angry: :P

If nothing else, posters such as cowtown and jazzycat are always good for a laugh on the rare occassions I visit here, as long as I always keep in mind that DCP ¥ real life/reality. :doh:

I marched with your son. I can't believe he is still there. I feel old.... :doh:

I saw the Cadets perform in Glens Falls,NY this year. Frankly, as a spectator, I enjoyed all of the show but the narration. It was over the top, and at some points reminded me of a generic greeting card. Great brass,percussion,and the visuals were outstanding! The narration really just made me look around to find out who was speaking,and took my focus away from all the great stuff that was happening on the field. I don't have a problem with narration, as long as it moves the show forward. (ie. the Crossmen's radio show) The more vague it gets, the more I lose interest. Pertaining to the question which I should have addressed first <ducks> :sshh: ; I'm sure that regardless of narration or not, all of the corps. are going to be adding and removing things from their show. Whether it's to spruce up brass,visual, percussion, etc. is obviously up to the corps. themselves. They'll do what they think will improve their show, for both the judges, and the crowd.

I saw the Cadets perform in Glens Falls,NY this year. Frankly, as a spectator, I enjoyed all of the show but the narration. It was over the top, and at some points reminded me of a generic greeting card. Great brass,percussion,and the visuals were outstanding! The narration really just made me look around to find out who was speaking,and took my focus away from all the great stuff that was happening on the field.

There are sometimes where i feel like they havent decided whether you should be looking at the speaker or not. The beginning of the show is quite clear and well done, and its pretty obvious who is talking at the end...at several other moments its not so clear though...

There are sometimes where i feel like they havent decided whether you should be looking at the speaker or not. The beginning of the show is quite clear and well done, and its pretty obvious who is talking at the end...at several other moments its not so clear though...

Are the speakers on the field or in/around the pit area?

I saw them in the pit area

There are several in the pit area, but 4 horn players are micced as well. They usually step out of formations to speak. The beginning of symphonic movement also features these 4 players in the corners of the field, as each 'belief' is spoken, that section of the corps begins moving and spinning, until they all come together in the middle for the first big hit. The pit speakers are usually used during times when it would be inneffective to pull horn players out of the drill (ex. the rehearsal section of blue shades)

There are several in the pit area, but 4 horn players are micced as well. They usually step out of formations to speak. The beginning of symphonic movement also features these 4 players in the corners of the field, as each 'belief' is spoken, that section of the corps begins moving and spinning, until they all come together in the middle for the first big hit. The pit speakers are usually used during times when it would be inneffective to pull horn players out of the drill (ex. the rehearsal section of blue shades)

I wonder how hard of a time those horn players have trying to march/play and then step out and speak. They must run out of breath at some places. I wouldn't want to be them, although the past show I have seen I didn't hear any problems with them being out of breath.

I wonder how hard of a time those horn players have trying to march/play and then step out and speak. They must run out of breath at some places. I wouldn't want to be them, although the past show I have seen I didn't hear any problems with them being out of breath.

By the end of the show they're basically down to one kid who can actually still speak ... he's pretty much a beast. Not the best player in the world, but he's a great marcher, and is going on his 4th year at cadets and his 5th or 6th of dc overall. Im guessing thats why they picked him :P