Best HS band interpretations of famous DC music

There was a school that my HS competed against that used to purchase old SCV shows. I saw them perform both the 89 Phantom and 92 Fiddler shows.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

:worthy:

There is such a thing as too many kids on the field! If you only march within a 20 square yard area for the whole show, you suck!

I think the best size is about 90 musicians, 25 guard.

This really isn't a drum corps discussion, but I'll play:

There was a school that played PR 03 nearly note for note (except nearly every run was taken out of the show) in 2006 (I think, not positive) - I got a kick out of it.

A few examples:

Harrison County High School (KY) did the 1992 Cavaliers show in 1998. I've never heard a high school play Gavorkna Fanfare that well. WOW They totally nailed the double tonguing and everything. Not quite as intense(they did have woodwinds) as the Cavies show, but still a fine effort for some high school kids.

1986 Madisonville North Hopkins High school (KY) did the Cadets 1982/83 version of Rocky Point Holiday - 40-50 trumpets, 20 trombones, 20 mellophones. It was freaking loud! They also did the SCV version of Don't Cry for me Argentina. Drill was good (with 200 people it was kind of hard to do too much) but the music is what got them 4th in the state!

Sprayberry High School, 1990 and 1991 (and 92 to an extent), Marietta, Georgia.

In those 3 years we played Spanish Fantasy (from Blue Devils '86), La Fiesta, My Spanish Heart (anticipated BD by a couple of years), Spanish Dreams, Ya Gotta Try, and probably some other late 80s BD I can't remember.

Trumpet section included Chris Martin (principle trumpet, Chicago Symphony, Spirit '93), Scott Lile (Spirit '93, Blue Devils '94, Madison '95), me (Spirit '93, Madison '94-'96), and several other drum corps quality players. Melophone players went on to march Bluecoats, Cadets, and Madison, and a Baritone (yep, we had baritones, no trombones) went on to march Madison.

Band director, Dan Martin, brother of Freddie Martin, our brass caption leader, founder of Spirit of Atlanta.

Nothing against Scott Boerma et al. at Madison, but I still think that Freddie was the best brass instructor I've ever marched with.

Woodwinds, yeah, they were in the back somewhere. Drums, must have had 'em. Amps? No way.

I love it when bands try to imitate Drum Corps. It really cracks me up. :P

Art imitates Art :angry: You could say the same thing for drum corps that take ideas from high school bands. :sshh:

My 2 Cents!

Art imitates Art :angry: You could say the same thing for drum corps that take ideas from high school bands. :sshh:

My 2 Cents!

Couldn't have said it better.

Hopefully, it wil be my school's interpretation of SCV's Fiddler show (1992)

But, to be honest, I usually don't like it when schools do drum corps show. Of the...5 Phantom shows I've seen, I've only liked one.

Edited by dccorpsfan