MI CITY review?

<**> So that this thread gets back to the real reason it was posted, here is what I think. Yes, I was at the Michigan City show. But, before I give my review.....For all of you who like to rip at the hearts of those kids who work everyday for the entire summer plus pretour with your negativity and destructive comments about theirs or anyone elses show, please feel free to continue to watch for developing news about Paris Hilton or read the National Enquirer, because that it was you are good for. The rest of us mature folk will continue to support the activity for what it is.

My review of the show is this: Every last drum corps show for the night was excellent, including the Classic Cavaliers Not one negative comment about the show, b**bs because they work hard everyday in the hot sun for 13 hours on rehearsal days and 7 or 8 on performance days, sleep on the bus between cities and then maybe a couple of hours of floor time :unsure: before doing it all again the next day and then the next day throughout the summer, eat cook truck food, :sshh: leave their families, girlfriends, boyfriends, dogs, cats fish, their car, cell phones, TV, etc., etc., etc....... without any monetary compenstation. And, I just thank God that we still have Drum Corps!!!!! :doh:

There should never be any negative comments on this website. You should all be standing up and applauding for these kids and their staff, volunteers and instructors. Simply, if you don't like the show, say, "I don't like the show". Don't pound it into the ground.

This is a joke, right? I mean, the excessive smileys, the Pollyanna "nobody can ever say anything negative" nonsense, the name, all of it points to being some sort of high-concept satire.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't understand how some folks equate the concept of constructive criticism (personal opinion) about a show with negativity and bashing poor children who suffer so much doing what they love. Do you really think we don't understand what they're doing? These reviews aren't for the kids. They aren't reading them. They are busy practicing and eating and sleeping and performing and traveling. The reviews are for those who couldn't go to the show and want to know what's up, what has changed, what was cool, what was iffy and what stinks. It's pretty brash to sit back and complain about other peoples opinions regarding a subjective art form strictly due to allegiances.

These "Kids" are all doing great things ... super human things. The opinions I've posted heavily reflect the job the staff and design team are doing for each corps. They are usually directed toward design, sometimes toward performance issues and mostly for the benefit of OTHER fan$. If my old corps absolutely stinks at something and I witness it first hand ... I'm not going to candy coat it and tell the world they're perfect little borg and nothing should ever be said that might hurt their personal feelings. Do you really think the kids in the corps on the road have time to cruise DCP and get upset over a persons opinion regarding show design? NO! But their staff might ... and they might make some positive changes or look deeper into a part of their program that is lacking, whether that be a design issue or a performance issue that requires more detailed instruction.

Cmon guys ... get real or go back to the 50's 60's 70's yahoo group. Your corps is great, their show is getting there, but nothing is ever a perfect masterpiece, in all aspects of the art, by any stretch of the imagination. (ESPECIALLY NOT IN EARLY JULY)

Hey Supersop, please feel free to continue to watch for developing news about Paris Hilton or read the National Enquirer, because that it was you are good for.

Hey Supersop, please feel free to continue to watch for developing news about Paris Hilton or read the National Enquirer, because that it was you are good for.

Thanks man :) Thanks for reading. That will be $1.95. You should really think about subscribing .. it's cheaper.

that it was you are good for.

?

Here, that'll cheer us up.

Edited by The Nagging Cough!

I really don't understand how some folks equate the concept of constructive criticism (personal opinion) about a show with negativity and bashing poor children who suffer so much doing what they love. Do you really think we don't understand what they're doing? These reviews aren't for the kids. They aren't reading them. They are busy practicing and eating and sleeping and performing and traveling. The reviews are for those who couldn't go to the show and want to know what's up, what has changed, what was cool, what was iffy and what stinks. It's pretty brash to sit back and complain about other peoples opinions regarding a subjective art form strictly due to allegiances.

These "Kids" are all doing great things ... super human things. The opinions I've posted heavily reflect the job the staff and design team are doing for each corps. They are usually directed toward design, sometimes toward performance issues and mostly for the benefit of OTHER fan$. If my old corps absolutely stinks at something and I witness it first hand ... I'm not going to candy coat it and tell the world they're perfect little borg and nothing should ever be said that might hurt their personal feelings. Do you really think the kids in the corps on the road have time to cruise DCP and get upset over a persons opinion regarding show design? NO! But their staff might ... and they might make some positive changes or look deeper into a part of their program that is lacking, whether that be a design issue or a performance issue that requires more detailed instruction.

Cmon guys ... get real or go back to the 50's 60's 70's yahoo group. Your corps is great, their show is getting there, but nothing is ever a perfect masterpiece, in all aspects of the art, by any stretch of the imagination. (ESPECIALLY NOT IN EARLY JULY)

Hey man, I absoulutely agree but, that post was not directed at those who do make positive, constructive criticism such as yourself. I have read your posts and feedback and do not have a problem with them. This comment was for those who cannot look at a show intelligently and provide feedback that might help the instructors who surf dcp. It was for those who constantly bring up for example, the Cadets, and continue to bash them. By the way, how come most people do not provide postive constructive criticism for corps who are not in the top seven being discussed on a regular basis? I know that some have, but most don't.

I guess I'll give you what I've got. Remember I had bad seats and only saw a few corps:

AMES FIELD

What an impressive little stadium this is. Surrounded in brick, the sound carries very well with little reverberation. The natural grass turf was absolutely pristine, although I think I found the only divit on the entire field while performing. The stands were packed full from the very start. In all my years in and around drum corps, this stadium has to be the best kept secret. Although, I think the entire town of MI City and surrounding coastline knew we were there due to the overpowering PA system in the stadium (bring earplugs to use between corps). If you come to Michigan City in the future, bring an umbrella ..... there's little to NO shade in this town. And don't let the Nuclear Reactor, accompanied by the slow rising and rolling cloud from it's stack, 3 miles behind the stadium bother you :) All in all, a great night and place for drum corps.

Pioneer:

I only had the pleasure of watching them troop the stands while playing one of their signature Irish tunes at quarter step. The crowd ate it up and applauded in time with the corps until they left the field. Based on what I heard and saw at that point, this corps is much improved and I look forward to seeing their full show.

Blue Stars:

As I said, I had a hard time getting the full effect of the uniforms. They seem to use it quite a bit in the show (extending the white leg across their body to create a visual mood change that didn't always seem to match the musical presentation). The mix of Firebird and Swan Lake throughout the show works well. The arranging is creative and gives the brass and pit ample opportunity to show off their musicality and technique. They seemed to be handling their extended phrases pretty well at this show (in comparison to the APD from Omaha). I'm hoping this new uniform is a one time deal. I know they needed an update, but I'm not sure how long they can keep this look and still use it effectively. Overall, the show seems a bit flat with no major pinnacle to reach for. Hopefully, it's just a matter of the staff milking the dynamics, but I feel there's something missing in the total concept and pacing of the show. They've definitely stepped up the demand this year which is keeping them in the hunt for finals, but they will need to start executing and enhancing if they wish to continue their climb.

Colts:

I saw pictures of the new look ... I had a certain expectation that I would like it ... but man are they STRIKING. The red plooms in the sunlight are REDDDDD! I found myself paying most attention to their visual performance presentation throughout the show. They have an interesting horns up/down procedure. It's kind of a mix of pushing the horns down to the belly button (with the horns level at an extremely lowered playing position) then raising them at a rate that accelerates to a crisp snap at the top. I couldn't really break it down better than that because (just about) every horn's up/down was done in massive ripples that always accentuated the visual form. Pretty cool stuff. They also do some neat rippled HOP turnarounds. You've gotta see it! Complaints on visual, the forward march looks a bit over exaggerated in it's breakdown (however, they perform it very well as a corps). The backward march isn't executed very well. There was alot of leaning and giving in to momentum with the upper body. The leg almost seems too stiff and caused a lot of bouncing. Surprisingly, it didn't transfer through the horns as often or as pronounced as I would expect.

Musically, this hornline has excellent control at the lower dynamic range (low brass in particular). They have yet to open up the sound, but their approach to the instrument is well rehearsed and showing promise. With regard to the entire musical book, this is my first view and first listen to the show. I was so taken with the complex visual program that I often ignored the music from my poor vantage point (UNTIL THEY MADE ME LISTEN). They did make me listen a few times. Some very nice musical moments, and thank you for taking the opportunity to chill on the visual and let us really focus on your playing. The flugel soloist DEMANDED your complete and undivided attention with his silky smooth tone, attention to detail and soaring sonority. This young man has a professional future.

All in all, this show felt like it had a much larger spread over Blue Stars than the scores would dictate. I see Colts in Finals barring some miraculous surges from their competitors. Can't wait to see repeated viewings of this show so I can fully enjoy the depth of the design. It wasn't overly complicated, but there was plenty of meat that will bring me back to the table for 3rd and 4th helpings.

Cavaliers:

5th or 6th viewing at this point if you count rehearsal days. The overall show is starting to take more shape, but the closer is still unchanged at this point (BLAH and MEH). I'm sure this will be changed sometime this month. Musically: The opening soloist was ON tonight. He milked every second of it with plenty of polish and swagger. It sounded like the staff has given him a bit more freedom to work with. The opening impact didn't really impact me, but it got the crowd going nonetheless. The second movement fugue seemed to have some fuzz tonight in the battery. Not sure what happened, but it's only the beginning of July where consistency is concerned. The changes to the Third Movement "Pressure" worked really well, but as I stated and will continue to opine ... it's a major hose and rehash of "fight club". A good chunk of the brass book was ripped out in order to add this orated segment to the show. I'm sure the crowd will love it, it's pretty decent but I would rather hear them play. The show is Visually getting cleaner but there's still alot of excessive movement in the lower body (as per their style) that seems over-exaggerated and looks very muddy from a timing standpoint. Hopefully, timing will clean up the look, but I get the feeling either some of the men are over hyping the leg movement ... or others aren't up to their level yet. Not sure which is which. Overall, a cleaner show for Cavies which was reflected in their score .... keep cleaning, fix the closer and add in the emotion .. and you've got a strong contender.

Didn't see Classic Cavies, Legends, Coats, Pioneer, Glassmen or LakeShoremen ( :P ) tonight so I can't comment.

Hopefully, you'll find the same BALANCE in this review as in my prior reviews. If not ... have a nice day! :)

Michigan City does not have a nuclear reactor and has so many trees it's a designated Tree City, USA. We did have a problem with the sound system. During intermission it was worked on and some of the problems were corrected.

Michigan City does not have a nuclear reactor and has so many trees it's a designated Tree City, USA. We did have a problem with the sound system. During intermission it was worked on and some of the problems were corrected.

Well that tall singular stack 2ish miles from the city looked an aweful lot like a Nuclear Reactor ......

The sound system was lighthearted .... but it was pretty loud even after the fix. At least it was out in the cheap seats.

Let's go to Google Maps ... shall we?

MiCity.jpg

YAH! ^0^ ^0^ ^0^