What annoys me most...

What annoys me about drum corps? I have a list but I'll keep it to myself. I'm already viewed as a denizen of the distant past.

On the other hand, what annoys me about DCP? Over-eager posters. You know the ones I'm talking about -- these people who jump into every single topic with multiple posts, most of which are either uninformed or non-sensical. Is racking up the greatest total number of posts in the shortest amount of time really a goal to strive for? A little discretion and self-control would, I think, go a long way towards earning some people a little more respect.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No...the most annoying thing to me is the: DUT, DUT, DUT, DUT, DUT, DUT, DUT, DUT coming from the drumline! KNOCK IT OFF!!!!!

If it were up to me - if you can hear that from the stands, you lose two points. If you can hear it over the hornline when they are playing anything louder than a mezzo forte....five points (Sorry Glassmen - I loved your show up until I heard the DUT's over the horns playing a chord near 'full blast'). If ya gotta do it, do it so only you can hear it, not the crowd! I know you are used to hearing "Dr. Beat" in your rehearsals.....oh wait, maybe that is part of the problem??!!

Okay....your turn! What annoys you with drum corps right now!

What annoys me? Old school drummers that marched up and down the 50 that have no idea about the spatial demands on modern drum lines, or the demands on modern brass lines since the listening point is constantly on the move, thinking that the Dr. Beat is unnecessary.

Drum lines dut because it is necessary, they dut loud because sometimes they take up several yard lines. Seriously, would you rather hear the dutting or have the drum line start every phrase dirty and late?

The thing I've found most annoying this season was that the Michigan City show was on Friday instead of Saturday.

What annoys me? Old school drummers that marched up and down the 50 that have no idea about the spatial demands on modern drum lines, or the demands on modern brass lines since the listening point is constantly on the move, thinking that the Dr. Beat is unnecessary.

Drum lines dut because it is necessary, they dut loud because sometimes they take up several yard lines. Seriously, would you rather hear the dutting or have the drum line start every phrase dirty and late?

I don't agree with this at all. I feel dutting is a crutch and sounds ridicules. If you can't follow the major and dut softly enough that the whole stadium can't hear you, there's a problem. I actually never could dut, it messed me up. I always hummed the beat to myself and never had any problems. We also used pick-up notes to help with attacks, which I also feel was a crutch.

I don't agree with this at all. I feel dutting is a crutch and sounds ridicules. If you can't follow the major and dut softly enough that the whole stadium can't hear you, there's a problem. I actually never could dut, it messed me up. I always hummed the beat to myself and never had any problems. We also used pick-up notes to help with attacks, which I also feel was a crutch.

Thank you..... :rolleyes:

Did the previous poster think that cold attacks were invented after the year 2000???

I can only dut for certain times during a show.....otherwise i mess up cuz of time changes and stuff. i agree....keep it to yourself...

Maybe because I had to drop out at a point where I couldn't join another corps...did you ever think of that?

Do I wish I was out with the corps I auditioned for? Of course.

Have I doing what I can to make the best of my summer at home? Yes.

But I suppose getting cut amounts to having a meaningless life. Is that correct?

EDIT: Wrong terminology.

Lots of holes in several good drum corps this year. I could call a few friends if you are seriously wanting to march. Southwind had about 6 holes early on and were looking for young men and women who were positive and wanting to experience drum corps.

Thank you..... :rolleyes:

Did the previous poster think that cold attacks were invented after the year 2000???

No. :rolleyes:

PRIZE PATROL!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by CoreyD

Nothing about drum corps really annoys me. Yeah, I'm not a fan of narration, but I can't say that it annoys me to no end. What can I say? Cadets '06 is one of the shows I listen to the most from last year. Haha.

DCP annoys me a lot. But then I remind myself that the opinions on this thread are only a small fraction of the overall drum corps world. Knowing that makes me smile. :)