How do you feel about Breaking Ranks?

That post matches your avatar exceptionally well, I must say. I read it in Seth MacFarlane's voice and everything. Not like my posts with my avatar. I just use the Flea Market Montgomery guy

LIVING ROOMS!

BEDROOMS!

DINETTES!

YOU CAN FIND IT

AT THE MARKET!

FLEA MARKET

MONTGOMERY!

IT'S JUST LIKE

A MINI-MALL!

check out

or familyforce5.com

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We were about to go on the field in 04 and we were in the way of people to get food and they broke ranks in front of me. Someone asked if they could break and I just took a step forward and everyone behind me did. Our horn sargent said, "It's not that far to the back on our ranks go around."

If it's an emergency like stretcher on the way to the ambulance or a horrible need that needs to be fixed I might let you through. It's normally NOT that far to the front of the line or the back of the line.

If you do dare to do it. Do it at your own body's risk, it IS a risk if you do it especially with a Div I corps. If that corps is moving just don't do it.

A girl from Crossmen passed out on the front sideline after the show in Allentown Sunday. She wasn't moving. The ambulance cart was trying to get through Blue Stars to help the poor girl. They wouldn't let the cart through even with the EMT shouting "Medical Emergency".

I think there needs to be exceptions and this was one of them. I hope the Crossmen girl was alright.

A girl from Crossmen passed out on the front sideline after the show in Allentown Sunday. She wasn't moving. The ambulance cart was trying to get through Blue Stars to help the poor girl. They wouldn't let the cart through even with the EMT shouting "Medical Emergency".

I think there needs to be exceptions and this was one of them. I hope the Crossmen girl was alright.

If that is true, then it is an insane world corps has become.

If this is what modern corps is teaching our youth, then it must be stopped. These corps, the staff and members have to come back to reality.

WE MUSICAL GANGSTAS

THUGS WITH TRUMPETS

Everything has value to a point - we even made exceptions in the Marines (where we would kick your a** and you were ashamed to tell someone why you got your a** kicked if you broke our ranks).

A funny story about an attempt in 1993 when I marched Suncoast...our home show was at my old highschool (I had just graduated) and a girl of whom I remembered from the band was trying to break right in front of me. I told her no twice then said "Lisa, go around!" Her jaw dropped, no knowing who I was. Till this day, I hope drum corps is such a mystery to her...

Thats some world class bull ####!

Its one thing to stop corps and stupid people from busting through ranks, but its a totally different thing entirely to not let an emergency vehicle reach its destination in order to provide rescue when a person needs all the time they can get.

Don't break the ranks.

The first thing I learned in marching band was no one breaks the ranks. If they do first is either a harsh yell of DRILL or MOVE if they do it anyway, move into them. Only exceptions are the old, the young(8 and under), and people who are injured. Last year during a local parade my corps was marking time waiting to move and a fire cheif and his wife broke our ranks and they appologised as they went across. But they were older so we just staired at them. But the group of drunken people weren't as lucky. Whole corps took a step forward into them. The one yelled back they pushed me, the horn line started to chant don't break the ranks, and our dictor yelled back they were lucky we were only marking time when we took the step.

It's something you just don't do. The only ones other than the old young and hurt are medical people. the rest can wait.

Edited by krazyivan

A great man once told me "No one breaks rank. Instruments can be repaired!!!"

omg thats AWESOME!!! Spoken like a true Star veteran. eff- yeah!! I recall being told those same words

I was standing by the entrance gate doing interviews for DCI.org when that happened...was right by Blue Stars when they were getting ready to enter the field through the fence gate. I never witnessed anything like that. I'm pretty sure I'd remember it if I did. Did you witness this personally or did you hear about it? I'm not questioning the validity of what you have relayed, but I do have to ask that particular.