lolcorps

Is it just me or does that football field look tiny? Or does 27th look like a corps made of giants? Perhaps both? Either way the proportions on that photo are freaky.

Actually, all the dimensions are the same, but in 1985, legislation introduced to Congress and signed by President Reagan, changed the length of the inch from 1.27 cm to 2.54 cm, effectively doubling the size of football fields measured out to regulation 160' x 300' dimensions. That is why corps do not seem to fill the field as much as they did prior to 1985 and along with increased bus sizes, why corps membership limits were eventually raised.

As can be seen, this picture was also taken during one of the transition years from black and white to color reality. Things are much more enjoyable to look at nowadays than they were when I was a kid. One of the side benefits to drum corps is that white yard lines and hash marks showed up much better against the green grass than they ever did against the medium gray grass.

Edited by corps-mudgeon

Is it just me or does that football field look tiny? Or does 27th look like a corps made of giants? Perhaps both? Either way the proportions on that photo are freaky.

it might be the 28snares that are throwin off the proportions...

but what do i know im just a trumpet player :thumbup:

Actually, all the dimensions are the same, but in 1985, legislation introduced to Congress and signed by President Reagan, changed the length of the inch from 1.27 cm to 2.54 cm, effectively doubling the size of football fields measured out to regulation 160' x 300' dimensions. That is why corps do not seem to fill the field as much as they did prior to 1985 and along with increased bus sizes, why corps membership limits were eventually raised.

As can be seen, this picture was also taken during one of the transition years from black and white to color reality. Things are much more enjoyable to look at nowadays than they were when I was a kid. One of the side benefits to drum corps is that white yard lines and hash marks showed up much better against the green grass than they ever did against the medium gray grass.

I was hoping for a more in depth explanation, but I guess that will have to do.

I was hoping for a more in depth explanation, but I guess that will have to do.

Another possible explanation for the apparent narrowness of the football field from front sideline to back sideline is that this picture was taken with a telephoto lens from stands that had a very shallow slope (meaning the camera was relatively far back from the field without a lot of rise). The people look relatively big, but the field is foreshortened from front to back. If you look closely, the crown of the field is emphasized and is pretty obvious towards the back when looking at the curved yardlines on the left. It's a matter of perspective that's common with telephoto lenses.

But I'm sticking to my first explanation. This one is obviously too farfetched to be true.

lolcatcavies.jpg

Am I the only one that noticed the guy on the right taking a picture of the guy laying in the middle?

Am I the only one that noticed the guy on the right taking a picture of the guy laying in the middle?

apparently i missed this entire picture.

and good call, i would have missed it for sure