Music: Songs that could go to the field

...this topic has been started and restarted about 100 buillion times but there is an awful lot of music out there and I alone have recently come across some new stuff that is PERFECT!

If at all possible, try and name the corps you feel the music would be best for.

Phantom Regiment: Prokofiev's "Piano Concerto No 1, mvmt 1 & 3"

If you've never heard it, I highly recommend it. Crazy piano stuff here. This is SO has Phantom's name on it.

Madison: The Music of "Grease"

Look what they did w/ "Jesus Christ Superstar" plus look at other Broadway shows that have been brough to the field.

BK/SCV/Phantom: Vaughn William's "4th Symphony"

BK w/ its 'dark' sound could go way up with this piece. Very dark. The piece doesn't really need much arranging. It already has the feel of the field.

Phantom: Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring"

I know they played it in '00 as their closer but I WANT MORE! HA! There is so much of this piece still untouched by drum corps.

Cadets: OTHER Holsinger & MacBeth pieces

Holsinger's "Hopak Rasoliniski" & MacBeth's "Introit" & " Kaddish" come to mind. Something to 'reinvent' Cadets but stick to their roots as well.

Cheers, :laugh:

Sean

w/Stp:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drum Corps: The ONLY place Rite of Spring should be played as a marching show.

On the subject of Prokofiev, how about Alexander Nevsky? "The Battle on Ice" is a fantastic piece...not sure how it'd sound on the field though.

Born to Run

Make "Thunder Road" happen. If the Cavaliers did Billy Joel, why can't someone do Springsteen? His music sounds about ten times better, even if the lyrics are really dopey, which isn't a concern here anyway.

SPRINGSTEEN-RELATED EDIT: Has anybody heard the new version of "No Cars Go" from The Arcade Fire's Neon Bible? That would be a phenomenal closer. It's perfect. Trust me.

Edited by The Nagging Cough!

Call me crazy(and I know some will) but I would love to see a drum corp do some music from Queen. Not the hyped stuff such as "we will rock you " and "another one bites the dust".

Some of the more appropriate pieces. I have 3 all picked out I would love to see brought to the field and know what order to put them.

Start off with "On with the Show"(some might recognize snippets of that from "Moulin Rouge").

Next do the ballad and give the guard a chance to shine with "Bohemian Rhapsody".Also some good runs in there for the brass.

End up with "Who Wants to Live Forever".

The order could be changed up but I think this could be and excellent show with lots of potential for crowd pleasing too.If you haven't heard of these songs look them up and give them a listen and see what you think.

Any thoughts?

Piano Concerto No. 3 - Sergei Prokofiev

Peter and The Wolf - Sergei Prokofiev

Colas Breugnon - Dmitry Kabalevsky - I think Madison did this back in '83? It has not been done on the field since then

Music of Ralph Vaughan Williams - Hodie hasn't been done on the field i think since '91 Freelancers.

Edited by Zeke

Eric Whitacre's "October" would bring audiences to tears with the right hornline.

even without the right hornline it would send shivers up the judges spines.

Glassmen and Spirit both did the piece in 2003.

Drum Corps: The ONLY place Rite of Spring should be played as a marching show.

Oooooh, I strongly disagree. Woodwinds can provide an integral texture for the piece. Sometimes there are just some passages that front ensembles just don't do justice to, and I think there would be a lot of those in Rite of Spring.

I could see Phantom or SCV doing Grainger's "The Immovable Do".

Edited by alto92

I have a recording of the USAF Band's version of Birds of Thunder...if you can get your hands on it...you should be able to at the USAF band's website...it is an awesome piece that has field show written all over it