What Year Did you age out?

Congrats Mike and Vickie on your returning to the field once again, (and for being Mr. and Mrs.!) I look forward to the ceremony and the show! It was a pleasure to finally meet you, Vic!

Thank you so much Kelley, you are truely one of the most gracious people it has been my pleasure to meet. Ands thank you for doing me that favor on Saturday night. We all had our gloves taped on so there was no way we could have pinned her pants up...thanks again :rolleyes:

Also, I understand you want to join us on the 10th, is that true?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miss ya in the alum corps, Larry! it's a fun gig!

Yeah, I wish I could have worked it out. But, I saw the Pavillion video and it looks like Roland is doing a very capable job, lol.

Tell him I said hello (I used to teach him WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY back in the day).

Hold over in a few songs for me. :P

1985 with The Dons. Bittersweet because I'm still very good friends some former Dons but GOD that tour SUCKED!!! Although Mel treated us age outs pretty good. B)

What made it even worse was that I was asked to be a visual tech for the following year and then they folded that fall. :(

I keep hearing rumors of another corps popping up in Fresno, though.

Edited by skajerk

I also aged out in 1985, and if I had to do it over again I would not have marched my last year. Whenever I'm asked about my years in SCV, I focus more on our accomplishments in '84 (youngest corps SCV had fielded at that time, the tie for High Brass, Slammin' Pants, etc.) than the next year. Sure, '85 had the Car Wash Tunnel and all of that, but I wasn't too excited about our attempt to recapture the magic of '84's Tenderland, the unimaginative drill in the '85 Tenderland push (rotating box with the "V"), or the (IMO) weak drill added later in the season for the Red Pony reentry (we needed way more pass throughs and so on for the GE). Also, I didn't appreciate the treatment a number of us received from one of our marching instructors during Finals Week in '85, when he began making completely unecessary and absolutely vicious personal attacks on individuals from the box during ensemble rehearsals in an effort to "motivate" them. In that regard, he jumped way over the line from educator to downright bully and I lost all respect for the man. I pitied him. Being 21, I didn't have to take it; none of us did. On the afternoon of Finals he was (unfortunately) in "top" form, and I became so angry at him I very nearly walked out on the corps about 6 hours before we were to go on. Frankly, I didn't really care about whether we won or lost. GR took me aside afterward and in a private talk he got me to reconsider, and in the end I just put myself on autopilot and did a K.A. finals show in "Mr. Roboto" mode a few hours later. The end of my drum corps career, whoop-dee-doo.

If there is a bright side to all this, that instructor's behavior did not go unnoticed and GR took action very soon thereafter; he was gone the following season and in fact disappeared from the SCV scene altogether.

Edited by SCVAlumTofRGuy

3 of us holding the record at 1976 so far, but I see Storky lurking on this thread - we're about to be trumped.....

I can beat that.......

Try 1955 through to 1963 from De La Salle "Oaklands" for my first age out. I started up again in 2001 with Preston Scout House Alumni Band and in 2005 as a special treat to celebrate "50 years of drum corps" I joined the Bridgemen. Definitely the high point of my career! I recommend it to anyone who lives within 500 miles of Bayonne. It's a blast! So when will I finally age out? I hope it will be a long, long time from now.

• 4 weeks later...

1977- Rookout.

being recruited by Prairie Sound from KC, Still thinking...

Should have aged out in 92...last year was 90.

Still trying to fix the birth certificate so I can march in 2008! :D