Bluecoats slump

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bluecoats better be happy with whatever they get. It could be worse. I think the one-time victory over Cavaliers and Blue Devils might of thrown some people off. People forget that other corps get better too. Its not Bluecoats vs DCI. Everyone is competing against everyone. I personally think they were given too high of scores too early in the season. To create buzz? Maybe. They were at the right level at the right time on the right night to score higher? Maybe. Who knows. But don't call the current spread between Bluecoats and top 3 a slump. Perhaps the top three corps are getting REALLY GOOD. Maybe the top 3 corps shows are starting to develop much better and quicker than everyone else. Bluecoats could get top 3 by finals. I wouldn't count them out. But there are other corps out there. Good ones. If the Bluecoats continue their current pace I don't see them making top 3, or top 5 for that matter. I just don't wanna see bluecoats fans/alums complain about their corps getting 4th at san antonio, only to see them get 7th at finals. They could have just as easly made 6th at finals last year. Heh, but I still heard members complain about their 4th place finish.

I love the show. There might not be enough room to grow for them. I guess only time will tell...

To the previous poster Byline - please don't be so naive as to think that judges don't have a tendency to "slot" corps!!! Believe me - I know the judging system!!

I know perfectly well what happens in judging; I marched corps myself, and also judged a fair number of years. My point had nothing to do with "slotting," but with this presumption that had Madison somehow tacked on the "right" ending, all their problems would have been solved, and they would have prevailed over Bluecoats. It ain't that simple.

Too clean? I think you may be the only one with that opinion, so congrats for being unique.

Being clean is NOT an opinion. They are either clean or not clean, but that is not an opinion.

Don't mean to be the typical overthetop DCI fan, but as a PhD candidate in Philosophy, I just couldn't help myself. :)

Just thinking about the high level of performance that Bluecoats are displaying blows my mind. There were many doubters during the pre-season that questioned whether the corps would be able to continue on it's upward trend. Have they been doing that thus far? Absolutely! Will they place in the top 3?... only finals night will tell.

One thing that seems glaringly obvious to me is that DCI is now willing to judge Blooo with the other top corps. They are winning captions against old titans - BRASS... Bluecoats are winning HIGH BRASS. Face it, that's not an easy thing to do against corps like Blue Devils. Frankly, I can't think of another recent 4-7 ranked corps that has been able to accomplish that. Is it possible for them to take high percussion? Sure it is. It's a little tougher to take the old titans in the visual captions (congrats Crown guard!).

Bluecoats aren't in a slump. This is just an amazingly competitive year for DCI. Sit back, relax, and enjoy watching how things unfold.

Edited by midwesternlull

Totally. Not because they were out-performed or anything.

The Scouts couldn't make a decision, so they actually called Bluecoats up on finals day in 05. It was a really nice conversation.

*ring* *ring* *ring*

"Hello?"

"Hey Bluecoats. It' the Scouts. How's it going?"

"Oh hey, Scouts! Great to hear from you. It's going pretty well. We were hoping to beat you guys, but I guess it'll never happen this year."

"Aww... don't be so hard on yourself there, Bluecoats. It's ok. That's actually what I called to talk to you about."

*sniff* "Oh... oh yeah?"

"Yeah... We cant really decide on our ending this year, so we wanted to call and concede 5th place to you guys."

"Really??? Oh man, thank you so much! We really appreciate it!"

"No problem, it's the least we could do. Have a good time tonight, Bluecoats."

"Oh thanks, Scouts! You too!"

*click*

Sorry, but having been on DCP for Lord knows how many years now, that might be the first post ever that's genuinely offended me.

We worked our a**** off that summer and PEAKED finals night. That Saturday performance made our Thursday and Friday nights beforehand look like a giant bag of ****, but apparently we only took them by nearly two points after being behind them all season because the judges looked at their watches Finals night and said "Uh oh, Madison's out of time. They didn't decide on their ending tonight, therefore Bluecoats will win."

Jesus H. Christ. I'm gonna get off of my soapbox now and go play some Guitar Hero. :P

But seriously, do you see the (lack of) logic behind that original statement? I usually don't go off like this, but you make it seem like my entire ageout season's outcome was just handed to me rather than having earned it.

All I'm going to say is "amen" on a much needed rant toward a deserving and ####### remark.

it seems like everyone around them is going up, but their score is plateauing (not even a word......i think). the only thing that really kept them in 5th at 'boro was the brass score (1st). the drumline and guard had a great start to the season and now they're starting to fall behind. they were last in GE AND visual.

i already knew music was going to be the strong point for them this season, but seriously...1.5 out of first in GE, and 1.6 behind in vis. i thought after last year their visual woes would fade away this year, but things seem to be going for the worse.

any thoughts?

Cadets went through this last year; remember? Not a good sign for Blue Coats because Cadets finished 5th [if you want to consider that a down year] :P

Irving

Fan of the Arts

There might not be enough room to grow for them.

What show are you watching? It's not the product that's holding them back, it's selling it. They just haven't gotten better as quickly as the top 3. Inexperience with being at the top maybe...

I think only three corps can make top three, so the rest should just give up ??

~G~

There could be a tie for 3rd! :rolleyes:

G's calls it like he sees it. I don't happen to agree with you, but you've proven that you're fair and balanced and you care about "Drum Corps", not just BD!