Kingsmen Alumni Corps Long Beach review (July 14, 2007)

Well I had the opportunity to take in the Long Beach show last night with a finale performance by the Kingsmen Alumni Corps. This was the "coming out" so to speak of the group. It was annonced that they will be performing at Veterans Stadium in Long Beach again a few days before their DCI Semis show. Sorry but I do not remember the exact date.

During the entry the announcer stated that the average age of the Kingsmen is 48. Don't let that number concern you, they rock!!!

For those going to Pasadena this is a must see. Just awesome old school drum corps at it's finest.

I saw these guys at the June 2006 show in Walnut and what a difference. They were sporting brand new Kingsmen "cadet" style uniforms with the guard wearing the traditional knee high riding boots. Something about seeing a guard in matching uniforms just gives the entire corps a look of it's own.

They numbered about 250 people and had several holes. I have to assume that they have some people from out of state that cound not be there.

The Kingsmen went on last and did a full drill front to back with the exception of concert. The field setup has the entire corps in the back left corner of the field with the exception of the guard. They are setup front to back in files at midfield and open with a spin and throw type manuever with rifles flying in the air complemented by a flag part straight from the 70's. They then go into Folk Song Suite from the 1972 champion year played note for note. The opener ends with the corps stretched 10 yard line to 10 yard line across the field. I must apologize that I was so busy yelling that I can't remember the rest. The rifles (20 to 25 of them) were incredible.

They broke into a drum solo that I heard them play at the June 2006 show. Don't know what it is except it kinda sounded like George of the Jungle. The drum section seemed small to me compared to other alumni corps I have seen. They only had about a dozen snares. But I must say that they sounded pretty clean so maybe that is the reason. I would have expected at least twenty snares.

The second number was the color presentation and appeared to be a medly of Kingsmen classics with a full on company front moving forward playing "Johnny" with the rifles spinning as only the Kingsmen can. The rifle line and guard stole the show. The ending piece was from March to the scaffold by Berlioz and brought the entire crowd to their feet. I had tears in my eyes staring down at that American flag on the field.

The second drum solo was next and was once again from the 1972 show. It featured a stick toss by the snare line and what appeared to be the flags doing the classic Kingsmen "Head Chopper" move where half the flags duck and the other half cuts the flag poles right over their heads. I will have to see it again to be sure because it happened so fast I almost missed it.

At the completion of the drum solo they played Mambo from the 1974 show. Screaming sopranos and a sharks versus Jets theme went over really well. They cooked through this one as well and as I looked arond I could see fans tapping their feet and swinging arms....they had the crowd for good at this point. The ending just screams...it is one of those songs that you just want to last another five minutes or so.

When the crowd finally quieted down they did So Very Hard To Go and Firebird Suite once again from the 1974 show as a closer. The rifle line stole the show with the pyramid and accompanying salute from the early 70's and then a full line rifle spin and sequenced toss. If there was a part of the show that needed major work it was the massive company front that closes out the show. With a front that long (about 125 horns) it is extremely difficult to pull off and you gotta give them credit for the effort.

It was a very special evening to see these guys out there on the field again. There was a strange feeling seeing those powder blue cadets on the field and they carried that feeling of military bearing and class that was a Kingsmen staple.

No doubt they have a lot of work to do between now and Pasadena. However, they truly brought down the house and without a doubt the most entertaining show of the night.

Wow!!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I had the opportunity to take in the Long Beach show last night with a finale performance by the Kingsmen Alumni Corps. This was the "coming out" so to speak of the group. It was annonced that they will be performing at Veterans Stadium in Long Beach again a few days before their DCI Semis show. Sorry but I do not remember the exact date.

During the entry the announcer stated that the average age of the Kingsmen is 48. Don't let that number concern you, they rock!!!

For those going to Pasadena this is a must see. Just awesome old school drum corps at it's finest.

The Kingsmen went on last and did a full drill front to back with the exception of concert.

You were expecting drill during concert?? :worthy:

Great review, fanatic! Thanks...

What a great summer those Kingsmen must be having ... I'm quite certain of it! :worthy:

Being as detailed as you were in your review, I would almost think that you marched the show!

Edited by ravedodger

I saw these guys at the June 2006 show in Walnut and what a difference. They were sporting brand new Kingsmen "cadet" style uniforms with the guard wearing the traditional knee high riding boots. Something about seeing a guard in matching uniforms just gives the entire corps a look of it's own.

They numbered about 250 people and had several holes. I have to assume that they have some people from out of state that cound not be there.

The Kingsmen went on last and did a full drill front to back with the exception of concert. The field setup has the entire corps in the back left corner of the field with the exception of the guard. They are setup front to back in files at midfield and open with a spin and throw type manuever with rifles flying in the air complemented by a flag part straight from the 70's. They then go into Folk Song Suite from the 1972 champion year played note for note. The opener ends with the corps stretched 10 yard line to 10 yard line across the field. I must apologize that I was so busy yelling that I can't remember the rest. The rifles (20 to 25 of them) were incredible.

They broke into a drum solo that I heard them play at the June 2006 show. Don't know what it is except it kinda sounded like George of the Jungle. The drum section seemed small to me compared to other alumni corps I have seen. They only had about a dozen snares. But I must say that they sounded pretty clean so maybe that is the reason. I would have expected at least twenty snares.

The second number was the color presentation and appeared to be a medly of Kingsmen classics with a full on company front moving forward playing "Johnny" with the rifles spinning as only the Kingsmen can. The rifle line and guard stole the show. The ending piece was from March to the scaffold by Berlioz and brought the entire crowd to their feet. I had tears in my eyes staring down at that American flag on the field.

The second drum solo was next and was once again from the 1972 show. It featured a stick toss by the snare line and what appeared to be the flags doing the classic Kingsmen "Head Chopper" move where half the flags duck and the other half cuts the flag poles right over their heads. I will have to see it again to be sure because it happened so fast I almost missed it.

At the completion of the drum solo they played Mambo from the 1974 show. Screaming sopranos and a sharks versus Jets theme went over really well. They cooked through this one as well and as I looked arond I could see fans tapping their feet and swinging arms....they had the crowd for good at this point. The ending just screams...it is one of those songs that you just want to last another five minutes or so.

When the crowd finally quieted down they did So Very Hard To Go and Firebird Suite once again from the 1974 show as a closer. The rifle line stole the show with the pyramid and accompanying salute from the early 70's and then a full line rifle spin and sequenced toss. If there was a part of the show that needed major work it was the massive company front that closes out the show. With a front that long (about 125 horns) it is extremely difficult to pull off and you gotta give them credit for the effort.

It was a very special evening to see these guys out there on the field again. There was a strange feeling seeing those powder blue cadets on the field and they carried that feeling of military bearing and class that was a Kingsmen staple.

No doubt they have a lot of work to do between now and Pasadena. However, they truly brought down the house and without a doubt the most entertaining show of the night.

Wow!!

Ill second that.....double wow!! No offense to anyone intended, however,IMHO, they were the highlight of the entire show! WOW again!!

Thank you for all the positive comments and review. Yes, we are working very hard and last night's show was to work out "first show jitters" and other logistical issues such as ideal drum major placement, etc. Some of the folks in the line haven't performed on the field in over 30 or 40 years, so this was an opportunity for all of us to shake (blast?) the cobwebs out in a full-on performance venue. Because of our camp scheduling (this weekend which just concluded, next weekend, and our August camp) we have a number of "out-of-staters" who are waiting in the wings to round out our ranks come August.

BUMP!