and so it goes....... (again)

When corps win based on opinion and not performance, there's something wrong.

that statement makes no sence...this whole activity is based on a judge's opinion of a performance...

...it's only your opinion that the top corps are unjustly placed there.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, judges got their thing. And fans have theirs. After seeing Crown and Regiment yesterday, I don't care what the judges think. Not at all. Especially Crown. Who says you can't buy happiness? You can buy a ticket to a drum corps show or pay for the webcast and see Crown, can't you? That show is all about those kids and us as fans and who gives a rip for anything else? It's perfect communication between corps and audience, IMO. Most corps can only dream about that, ever. No matter where they place. There are different kinds of winning.

Scores? I'm still smiling from seeing that flying chevron and hearing that ballad in Regiment's show.

Drum corps rules. :worthy: Long live drum corps!

GREAT POST.......and to those supposedly highly knowledgeable fans (including any judges) who say that Crown does not hang with EVERYONE in brass, ensemble, and music effect needs to go purchase batteries for their HEARING AID!!!! Some of the shirts wouldn't know an effective show if it bit them in the ***..............

GB

I tend to view thread like these (which seem to be replete on DCP) to be little more than whining and moaning.

There have been decisions of the judges I have disagreed strongly with, but I have never perceived an inequity as sever as is suggested here. Perhaps the "wrong" corps has won a few titles, but not when they haven't clearly been in contention for the thing.

I find it highly unlikely that whoever is sitting there at fourth has any sort of legitimate claim on last night's trophy.

GREAT POST.......and to those supposedly highly knowledgeable fans (including any judges) who say that Crown does not hang with EVERYONE in brass, ensemble, and music effect needs to go purchase batteries for their HEARING AID!!!! Some of the shirts wouldn't know an effective show if it bit them in the ***..............

GB

Woah, who said that?!! I thought Crown was EXTREMELY good when I saw them in Giant's stadium. I am glad they are among the top this year. It's great to have two east coast corps who are up in the top.

Not everybody has "ample opportunity to add and clean"

The lower scoring corps are PERPETUALLY stuck with a quarter or half rehearsal day, less time to clean and refine, etc. They are many times housed not so close to stadiums either, so more time cut into with additional travel.

It would be interesting to see if the perpetually higher scoring corps continue to do so much better with a CONSTANTLY shortened rehearsal day, and being judged in a random performance pattern instead of always being "saved" for the latter part of the day. Some of the lower scoring (now) corps came out with virtually the same first show score, a week later, as the top scoring corps did. But once they get slotted into those early performance times, and continually shortened 1/2 rehearsal days, I can't help but think that makes a huge difference .........

thoughts?

Not everybody has "ample opportunity to add and clean"

The lower scoring corps are PERPETUALLY stuck with a quarter or half rehearsal day, less time to clean and refine, etc. They are many times housed not so close to stadiums either, so more time cut into with additional travel.

It would be interesting to see if the perpetually higher scoring corps continue to do so much better with a CONSTANTLY shortened rehearsal day, and being judged in a random performance pattern instead of always being "saved" for the latter part of the day. Some of the lower scoring (now) corps came out with virtually the same first show score, a week later, as the top scoring corps did. But once they get slotted into those early performance times, and continually shortened 1/2 rehearsal days, I can't help but think that makes a huge difference .........

thoughts?

So, I'm just playing devils advocate here but..... If these "lower scoring corps" that you talk about had more time to rehearse than that equates into better performances competitively? Than why don't they come out of the gate in the beginning of the season just as strong as the top corps? In the pre-season they don't have to perform! I think that argument is moot. ^0^

I said OVERALL.

Yes, they all have their own areas of weakness, but OVERALL they are head and shoulders above the competition

I just love rationalization.

RM - whatever

ampssuck

Also - tinfoil hat alert - would it be beyond DCI to give Devils the win in Pasadena to woo future $$? I know it's a stretch, and if true would be all kinds of wrong and unethical - but would that development be completely out of the question?

:rock:

You mean, like a "make up" for where they finished last year?

I like you! :worthy:

RM - anythings possible, with DCI

I find it highly unlikely that whoever is sitting there at fourth has any sort of legitimate claim on last night's trophy.

BECAUSE? Because corps are infallable? Judges are infallable? The best "team" doesn't always win the game! Yet our "system" is desiged to provide the "benefit of the doubt" perhaps even overlook a poor, no, less than stellar, performances, because we have been "forced" to believe "certain" corps are SO much better than others.

RM - who's buying?

ampssuck

Edited by Rocketman