Spirit of JSU Members = No Class

What's the big deal here? The members of Spirit were cleary in a public place. Even teenagers should have the decorum to refrain from bashing others in public. And if they didn't know that before the season, someone from Spirit should have had "the talk" with their members. Maybe that did happen and these members just didn't listen. I don't know. What happens in private is another matter. It's open season on anyone when your in private :P I don't think it's out of bounds to post this here. I would be interested in seeing if other had the same experience. It seems from the posts, that this might be an isolated thing.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

When I marched (and yes I marched with a "big dog") we were out for blood and wanted to claw our way to a ring. We were in the midst of fierce competition. Many people will never know what thats like, and thats too bad for them. The activity is becoming too soft because of people like you. Soon the true spirit of it will be dead forever because of all these rule changes which make it nothing but an educational program.

I, for one, am VERY glad to see DCI heading away from the "kill 'em all to get a ring" mentality you just described. Because by the end of the summer, if all you wanted was a ring, and you didn't get it...what do you have?

To the OP: I understand your frustration. I, myself, have been in a position just like yours. So I understand the desire to want to go vent on DCP. And, while I completely agree that the members are a direct reflection of the corps and how it is run, this may have been a better letter to the corps director. But, thanks for sharing. I always keep little mental notes of corps behaviors so that my students never get a bad recommendation from me when they want to audition for drum corps.

Oh, one other thing. This was obviously NOT a private conversation if it was taking place in the stands at a drum corps show.

Just sayin'.

It's not? Who says so, the great God of drum corps etiquette?

I sit and talk to my husband at drum corps shows all the time. I may even say "boy did that ever suck, I'm not watching it ever again". I consider that private conversation.

I didn't know I was under survellience, however.

Just sayin. Again.

It seems that the ones who marched in truly competitive corps are the only ones who understand this situation. However there are some people here who think that Drum Corps is a Happy Go-Lucky "Learning Experience" with nothing but fun and laughter and pats on the back. Where everyone is equal and we all get along.

What I'm saying is that half the people's attitudes on this forum is what is ruining drum corps. Yes, it is a Competitive experience and a Learning Experience. But it should be only one of them. If the activity focuses on good sportsmanship, just trying your best, and having a good time, it'll all go downhill. Save that crap for HS marching band.

To DrumcorpsrevJackson,

By the way, my corps knew our music theory before we got there. So they taught you what a 7 chord is and now youre Charlie Parker.

I'm gonna make like Eric Catman and say, "Screw you guys, I'm going to go screw my Girlfriend", who btw never marched anything, "Thank God".

Forget it. Why even bother?

It's acceptable to wear "This I believe, shut up and play" t-shirts but you aren't allowed a private conversation in the stands because you've sacrificed your entire summer, spent inordinate amounts of money to be in a drum corps.

Yeah, now I get it.

You did not state the facts. You said that members of Spirit of JSU have no class which is not true. You were referring to a small amount of the corps which in my opinion still have class.

Why do we live in an age where bashing someone causes an uproar? Why can't we let people have their opinions?

I went to a DCI event and I sat by the corps director, the visual caption, the music caption, and the guard caption director of a certain top 6 corps. They bashed almost every single corps that performed, except for theirs. They didn't scream it for the world to hear, they just said in a simple voice "That was pretty lame."

I'm sick of hearing all of this crying.

I suggest you read the post again. I didn't just say they had no class and leave it at that. I summarized the comments that were said, which demonstrated the lack of class. Sorry you can't comprehend.

If you experienced a top 6 corps' staff trashing others, then what they did was no better. Doesn't make it right though.

People can have their opinions, but if they can't make constructive remarks (especially when in their corps jacket and speaking very loudly for everyone around them to hear about both their current involvement with Spirit and how corps x sucks, and corps y's horn line plays like s&*%, and so on and so on), they should keep quite. Again, they can say what they want inthe bus, in private, etc. But in public when you are representing your corps, have some decorum and class.

Forget it. Why even bother?

It's acceptable to wear "This I believe, shut up and play" t-shirts but you aren't allowed a private conversation in the stands because you've sacrificed your entire summer, spent inordinate amounts of money to be in a drum corps.

Yeah, now I get it.

Any just who was selling the shirt? Therein lies the difference. Amazing you can't see that.

No, he's wrong. EVERY member of EVERY corps does NOT bash every other corps. He made an all-enclusive statement that is incorrect, and I can negate it by showing just ONE example: me. When I marched in 2004, I focused on what WE were doing, and so did many of my corpsmates.

I think there was a general point he was trying to get accross..And from my experience of what I've heard from many corps members from different corps, I can agree to point he was trying to make..That it's not an isolated thing which just happens once in a while..I could probably write a book on all the trash talking I've heard..I'm not saying it was every corps, but you won't see me calling anyone out in a public forum about it either..

It seems that the ones who marched in truly competitive corps are the only ones who understand this situation.

Riiiiight.

I suggest you read the post again. I didn't just say they had no class and leave it at that. I summarized the comments that were said, which demonstrated the lack of class. Sorry you can't comprehend.

If you experienced a top 6 corps' staff trashing others, then what they did was no better. Doesn't make it right though.

People can have their opinions, but if they can't make constructive remarks (especially when in their corps jacket and speaking very loudly for everyone around them to hear about both their current involvement with Spirit and how corps x sucks, and corps y's horn line plays like s&*%, and so on and so on), they should keep quite. Again, they can say what they want inthe bus, in private, etc. But in public when you are representing your corps, have some decorum and class.

You aren't the conversation police and you should mind your own business. Trashtalking didn't show they had no class, you taking this silly issue here is.

Instead of acting like the concerned adult, you resorted to crying on a public message board where other people are affiliated with the ones you bash. You make the topic title look like you refer to all of them giving that impression to people who glance at it.

I agree with the member who said that their only mistake was doing it in front of you.