Spirit of JSU Members = No Class

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you all have the same view point on this issue if the OP had said if the "trash talkers" were members of a local high school band?

bingo.

A message has been sent to Ken Bodiford. I'm sure the issue(s) will be dealt with as soon as he reads it.

I don't recall him bashing the entire corps. vThe title of the thread does not include the word "all" and in this case, "members" could mean two or 135.

Face it, a lot of people are worked up because Tim witnessed offensive behavior by members of a corps and he called them on it in public (this forum). Some people think he should have addressed this internally with corps managmenet, and that talking about it hear is wrong. I have a question for you. How many of you, when you have witnessed something wrong, NEVER mentioned it publicly? Not to a friend, a spouse, a letter to the editor, etc. You all kept it to youself and only discussed it with the upper management of the organization that offended you?

You can argue all you want about whether or not posting these observations on the forum was appropriate, but that isn't the issue.

No. The prevailing thought is that he was waaay out of line coming on this forum to blast an entire Corps like this. Sky Ryder embarrassed himself posting this. If he doesn't grasp that, ( and his lack of apology shows he's apparently ethically challenged ) then Sky Ryder simply doesn't have a clue as to why others have taken him to task for this inappropriate posting. But that's his problem, not others.

i'm curious how bringing this to the public's attention means he has no class. to me his post serves as a stern warning and maybe a wakeup call to not only spirit but other corps as to their conduct. remember what organization you represent, what the jacket or uniform you have on says to others. apparently a lot in here needed that stern reminder if they think the OP is the one without class.

The reason it is an inappropriate forum is because this forum has no control over the veracity of his complaint. His complaint may be entirely valid. Then again, there are peope in this world that can make things up as their personal vendetta against another, in this case a Corps ,to intentionally harm a Corps. We know these things do occur. And what if this was untrue allegations and this poster said these things about your Corps members actions like this. And it was made up ? What controls are there to prevent this ?

I'll accept at face value that this Sky Ryder poster indeed saw and heard this bad behaviour on the part of a few Spirit members. But if he was interested mostly in changed behaviour he would have been much better served in speaking directly to the offenders or contacting the Corps Director who I 'm sure woold know how to make sure this didn't hapoen again. But SkyRyder did not do this. He came here... to us. But we can't take any actions with these kids to make sure it doesn't happen again. He knows this. No, this seems to me like more a blatant attempt to hurt a Corps in public, even if it did occur just as he said it did. That's my take on this anyway.

Edited by X DM

The reason it is an inappropriate forum is because this forum has no control over the veracity of his complaint. His complaint may be entirely valid. Then again, there are peope in this world that can make things up as their personsl vendetta against a Cirps to intentionally harm a Corps. We know these things do occur. And what if this was untrue allegations and this poster said these things about yoour Corps members actions like this. And it was made up ?

I'll accept at face value that this Sky Ryder poster indeed saw and heard this bad behaviour on the part of a few Spirit members. But if he was interested mostly in changed behaviour he would have been much better served in speaking directly to the offenders or contacting the Corps Director who I 'm sure woould know how to make sure this didn't hapoen again. But SkyRyder did not do this. He came here... to us. But we can't take any actions with these kids to make sure it doesn't happen again. He knows this. No, this seems to me like a blatant attempt to hurt a Corps in public. That's my take on this anyway.

and apparently it's impossible to let other new comers/prospective members know of what is appropriate and what is not. :lol:

It's not a mommy and daddy are protecting me thing. It's about having some decorum and not looking like an ### while representing your corps. TRUST ME, we hated the baby blue (your alma mater, it was a Southern thing) when I marched, and I am sure that we said MORE than enough about them... but not in the stands, and certainly NOT in our jackets or uniforms.

And if I, like SkyRyderFMM, had paid admission to see a show, I would have a serious problem with kids from ANY corps acting that way anywhere where I could hear them, and I too would probably address it here, in addition to with the corps' management.

If anything, I see this as the pervasive attitude of today, the "I don't care about you, I am doing what I want, to hell with how it effects others" mentality. Right up there with talking in movies, yakking loudly on your cell phone in restaurants, etc. The sense of entitlement and disregard for others it bothersome.

We all have to share the same air. If we are at a show, we want to see and hear the corps on the field, preferably without color commentary from competing units. And since I am fairly sure the kids in question did not have tickets for the show, I would also not hesitate to ask them to quiet down, and if that didn't work, would find an usher and ask that they be moved to another area, so that I, as a paying customer, could continue to enjoy the show.

How could you talk about the baby blue, man??? jk...we've all talked trash about other corps, and I agree that there is a time and place....now about the bananas you marched in.... :)

I also don't think it's fair to label all of the members as classless, as the thread title does. You're describing the actions of a few individuals. During my marching days, I saw individual gaffes like this from most of the corps we went up agianst. (It came in all flavors, not just in-the-stands talk.) This isn't an apologist stance for the behavior you saw but, rather, a request to not paint an entire organization based on the actions of a few.

How could you talk about the baby blue, man??? jk...we've all talked trash about other corps, and I agree that there is a time and place....now about the bananas you marched in.... :)

EASY NOW!!!!! Those Bayonne folks are tough man.... nothing like the "southern hospitality" we are used to!

:)

Hey, at least the baby blues are still around... regardless of their name....

RIP Suncoast <sigh>

We got a bunch of kids together and had them dedicate their lives to a competitive activity and some negative comments arose? Man, those kids at Spirit are probably the only people in Drum Corps history to ever say somthing negative about another corps.

F'in seriously?

Maybe my view on corps is a little bit different, because while I was in band, and marched drum corps I was also on several athletic teams throughout highschool and college. Playing Lacrosse you get used to being called a "son of a #####" when things get rough and it should slide off your back, you move on and you play the game. Playing Baseball you can watch your own coach or another team's coach call the umpire anything but a ########## (we've seen Bull Durham, right?) while arguing balls and strikes without anyone getting too upset. Play hockey and you'll get physically abused while some one is insulting your mother. The list goes on. Drum corps is competitive, people invest a lot of emotion into it, and negative comments are going to be made.

While being a good sport is always somthing that is and should be preached and something that competitive individuals strive for people are going to slip and say some things about their opponents that aren't always kosher.

I think a big part of learning "sportsmanship" is not just learning to keep your oppinion to yourself, but to get over it when other people are acting immaturely.

(unless they're picking on the little guy, or your goalie, then it's totally okay to drop your gloves) :P

Don't forget the "often in another language part" for hockey. :P

There should be no question, with as competitive in nature as our activity is you're bound to have a lot of discussion about other peoples shows between the marching members, and it's not always going to be positive. Sometimes I think we're getting too "thin skinned" for our own good and seem to forget the competitive side of things is as real as in any sport I've ever played, and I've played at some high levels before injuries took their toll.

That said you have to use your judgement on anything that you say. If it's in uniform, a corps jacket or even a corps t-shirt it is going to reflect on how others view your organization. One bad experience with members of certain corps can really do a lot of damage to any positive image they could have had of the corps prior to that. Could this have been handled by the OP in a better manner rather then calling out an entire corps with a thread title like this, over actions of a handfull of members? certainly. It's still something worthy of discussion simply as a warning to others that there is pretymuch always going to be someone within earshot, so it's probably best to watch what you say in public when you are visibly identifying yourself with your corps.