Why is band better than corps?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, in many ways it is becoming more like band.

That's what most of us are fighting, in case you didn't notice.

uhhh. not really. drum corps still has it's core elements that differ from band. only one thing has changed. amps.

I don't have much knowledge on this topic, but I'm gonna try. Back in the days of old people marched for upards of 10-11 years! THATS NUTS! People these days are lucky to get 2-3 years in. The call for it just isn't there any more. Back in "the day", the corps taught you how to play an march. Now there's no way you can make one without knowing how to @ least play your horn better than a few hundred people.

A) Less marching years per member

B)Talent level increased

Then there's the ever increasing push forward to try new things. There's only so much you can do with symmetrical drill. Same goes for drumlines that only more fwrd and backwards and color guard that do nothing but "guard the colors". All of these things have all been transformed into asymmetric and totally nuts awesome drill, drum lines that do stick tricks on picnic tables (sorry), and guard that dance. G bugles went to Bflat horns cause of the teaching/educational aspect of it. The addition of amps and electroics also have the show creators another tool that they could use for cool effects such as rain sticks or dropping a chain on the tail door of a pickup truck.

C)The push forward

So you ask whats next.....well.....where do you get your kids from......BAND! Drum corps is no longer a stand along activity. It is now "marching music's major league". Whats the minor league? Marching band. After all, the two are of the same other than the lack of the wood winds. Each feeds off one another for trying new ideas and finding those that work on the field. Some drum corps copy HS bands and vice versa. Band is where your kids learn to march and play. Some can even be said to be better than certain drum corps out there.

D)The band kids are the members

Drum corps separates itself from being too bando with its regimented styles and extensive history. Do I think it will ever become band? No, thats what marching band is for. Why have another band circuit? Kids in Drum corps don't want to march band again, they want corps. If woodwinds are allowed in DCI the circuit will die due to lack of members and I feel that DCA will become the large drum corps circuit. We've already done band, I don't want to do it again.

Bando or not, its now called drum corps. As far as i'm concerned it can get as bando as it wants as long as its not band.

Hmmm...there are MANY great drum corps that welcome members without have to, "at least play your horn better than a few hundred people."

Marching band is minor league? Interesting...what program did you come from? "Marching Music's Major League" was coined to fit the ESPN model...its all about publicity and advertising there. There is nothing minor league about what a lot of marching band programs do.

Many marching band programs have regimented styles and an extensive history. Not sure why you would say drum corps only has this.

There is a great number of performers who are excited to go back to their respective marching band programs.

While I agree with some of your thoughts, I'd be careful about being all inclusive. I'm a huge fan of summer and fall marching...drum corps and marching band. There are many great (and not so great) about both.

There are plenty of similarities and differences between the two...one is not better than the other. Of course, it depends on your experience, but why even consider one being better...

:worthy:

Seeing that drum corps is going bando, could someone please educate me on why marching bands are than drum corps? What am I missing out on by being all "close minded" and rejecting some of the conventions of the bando world

Thanks

Welcome back '60's marching stlye!

Audiences get to see cool flute and sax flashes to-the-box.

Trumpet players get to point their bells at a 10 degree angle ... to the ground.

Chaperones are back! Yay to micro-parental involvement!!

You get to play to smaller ... er uh ... intimate crowds because real drum corps fans will have baled in droves.

The few old-schoolers that remain will love the return of spats and the signature phasing-like effects that bandos do so well.

Baton twirlers are just so darn cute.

If you're DCI you push the conversion to band because you'll make alot more ching from fees, clinics and a wider range of advertisers/sponsors (read: sax/flute/clarinet manufacturers etc.) You go from being an umbrella organization over a paltry 50-100 corps to thousands and thousands of high school bands. More power over more people equals more money. Georgie likey!

Edited by Brassop

I think this is an honest question and I would like to hear the answer also.

I think this is a stupid question, just beggin to be flamed on.

In before the close and move to marching band forum

<**>

I think corps are going bando cuz who doesn't want to wear one of those cool Que-Tip hats the bandos get to wear.

As a member of a marching band (and a wanna be drum corps member) I gotta say that drum corps just feels so...far away, you know? It seems like this untouchable dream that I can only see on the internet or on DVD. The price is so high and it seems like you have to be a near expert in order to make it in.

I personally believe the quality of music and drill is better in drum corps; but it just seems so...impossible to make it into a corps. So, I have to march band.

I don't know. Maybe I have an inferiority complex. That's just the way I see it.

What am I missing out on by being all "close minded" and rejecting some of the conventions of the bando world

Thanks

Well, for one, the Conventions are generally not held in Cowtowns.

This Cowtown might disagree. :)